Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t surprise me if it is us interested that there’s something in that mcguane link we heard about previously. Would rather he was an addition but with mcguane having 6 months plus the year, I wonder if we would prefer to cash in now and replace him with Conteh who is more of a combative midfielder and probably a better foil for Brannagan if we do play 2 in central midfield.
We need to replace Gorrin numerically. I don’t imagine Mcguane will go anywhere

Once again, and without any basis whatsoever, someone on this forum asserts that a delay in making signings equates to making better signings.

Is there any evidence for this?

Surely you can sign good players at any time in the window, and sh*te players at any time too?

For example:
Ruben Rodrigues - signed 1st July.
Sonny Perkins - signed 25th August.

Players don't get incrementally more talented as the January days tick by.

Joe Taylor was a great signing for Lincoln on the 9th January, but by your rules he can't be as good as anyone signed after this date? Or not as good a fit perhaps? Were Lincoln flustered and panicking when they signed him?

It's not too much to expect good and timely recruitment, and patronisingly asserting that it's one or the other is counter productive.
That’s not the point I’m making at all, because I don’t believe that to be true. We waited for Tyler Smith, we waited for Ateef Konate but we didn’t have to wait long for Harris.

Rather I’m countering the point that some people are making that getting *any* striker in no matter who they are is better for the club than, for example, waiting a few days until a loan striker is available, or waiting a couple of weeks until Goodwin is fit.

We need to replace Gorrin numerically. I don’t imagine Mcguane will go anywhere
Probably not, but Des did say they only wanted 2 forwards. Could be bluffing. I’d also want him to replace gorrin & sit behind those two to offer protection and let them run the game like they can knowing they’ve got someone behind them doing the dirty work.

Worth mentioning Conteh is believed to have a release clause, unsure of the amount that is. Would mean if we are after him we can possibly skip out the negotiation stage.

It’s ALREADY Blackpool, Orient and Northampton we should be worrying about. Our paths are about to cross very shortly, as are our league positions if we’re not careful.
There are already nervous tics in the January window department; not helped by the manager’s cautious “we HOPE to get in ….” and no real sign of the replacements we required some time ago.

Where is the striker, up and ready to fire? Where is the replacement right back to cover what is clearly a weak link in the team? Where are the pacy forwards who might actually stay fit? Where is the big strong holding midfielder it is obvious we need? Where is the genuine back-up to our overworked MM and CB?
Why are we so dependent on this “domino effect” when other quality teams in our league seem to be recruiting very successfully? Now.

Why is it, that with only a few days to go before the window closes, we are STILL gazing around wondering if we can improve a group of FIT players which - quite honestly - looks poorer than the one we started the season with??
Totally agree we have gone from 2nd to 6th under DES and are falling we are x1 loss from going out of top 6 once we fall out of promotion places sadly we won't be getting back in how's that good for progress

We've had a very weak bench since the start of Des. I can't help but think that Manning knew we'd start struggling with the players we had available, and decided to jump before results and performances began to wane and clubs higher up changed their mind on him.
I've seen a few people say similar. In reality, his stock was fair to middling and a club with more money was willing to gamble on him. Manning didn't give a f**k about us and he doesn't care about his new employer team either - he just cares about how much he's getting each year and how long his contract is in case he's sacked.

There's not much loyalty in football at all these days. For that reason, I hope Des really does love his hometown club and he can turn things around.

Who is this fabled experienced striker who can score goals in League One, was available on loan from January 1 and whose club was willing to let him go?

All the 'try hard's in the world aren't going to manifest one.
The club should have been identifying these players back in September. We have what potentially could be a top player in the signing of Goodwin but they found out about an injury he’s had for a couple of weeks or more in the scan in the medical, so they should have something else if not can see someone who most haven’t heard of being signed by 11pm a week tonight.

Worth mentioning Conteh is believed to have a release clause, unsure of the amount that is. Would mean if we are after him we can possibly skip out the negotiation stage.
But he would still have to agree to join us

Around 750K apparently which I can’t see is paying. Some Grimsby fans seem to think Luton are interested as well.
Seems a bit steep considering Bristol Rovers were interested and allegedly met that release clause, would they fork out £750K?

If he goes to Luton I'd imagine that would mean he's loaned out to league one instead, which I wouldn't mind for a short term option.

Can I post I really hope we sign Conteh without getting told to P**s off and support Grimsby?
Yes as long as you haven't already jinxed it :LOL:. No idea if we're even in for him but it looks like he fits the profile of being a young talent who came through Premier League youth sides and has proved himself at National League and now League Two level. He will cost a bit but could be worth a lot more in resale value in a few years, although Grimsby would definitely get part of that.

Yes as long as you haven't already jinxed it :LOL:. No idea if we're even in for him but it looks like he fits the profile of being a young talent who came through Premier League youth sides and has proved himself at National League and now League Two level. He will cost a bit but could be worth a lot more in resale value in a few years, although Grimsby would definitely get part of that.
Seems a bit about him and us on X and fb but we will wait and see because allegedly Luton are also looking at him.

I've seen a few people say similar. In reality, his stock was fair to middling and a club with more money was willing to gamble on him. Manning didn't give a f**k about us and he doesn't care about his new employer team either - he just cares about how much he's getting each year and how long his contract is in case he's sacked.

There's not much loyalty in football at all these days. For that reason, I hope Des really does love his hometown club and he can turn things around.
What happens if he doesn't turn things around.
The fans would quite rightly expect the board to sack him..
As you say there's very little loyalty in football.
It works both ways.
That's why there is so much managerial movement in the game.
That given why wouldn't a head coach take an opportunity to coach at a higher level on more money.
That's life, they have families to support as we all do.

Seems a bit steep considering Bristol Rovers were interested and allegedly met that release clause, would they fork out £750K?

If he goes to Luton I'd imagine that would mean he's loaned out to league one instead, which I wouldn't mind for a short term option.
They were going to fork out 850k on JCH so yes they would. If he continues his trajectory he will be worth a lot more than that in 2-3 years.

How often does MM do a killer through ball or ping it brannagan style to the wings. How often does he shoot. How often has he burst through the middle and created something. Not enough imo considering he's not a physical tackling midfielder. He's great at 5 yard passes sideways ir backwards. That's about it.
He was a revelation going forward with the ball while Manning was manager who seemed to get the best out of him.. But since Des has taken over he seems to have reverted to his previous somewhat pedestrian self. Such a shame as he’s clearly a talent. I hope he can recover his earlier form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom