Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

I can't really say that I'm ITK, but my extensive contacts* with people at BBC Radio Oxford allowed me to listen to the full interview before the heavily edited version went out "live" on air. So I've now added in the bits that were edited out, and all is clear.

KR: No. There was a yellow shirt[ed player] that we were [trying to get to agree to a new contract], and – if anybody wants me to phone them on a Zoom and [take him off our hands, I'll be more than happy], and uh – I’ve had some great conversations with people, really good people. One or two things have fell flat this week. And, for me, my team means more to me than any individual and if somebody [who bloody well won't sign a new contract]– I’m not going to get into it [by telling you who it is], it’s not the time – but there’s been some really positive conversations with some people who want to be here for the right reasons. There’s been some conversations with people for the wrong reasons. Shove it. Do one. ‘Cos we don’t need you. Whoever that is. [And you know who you are, don't you, you w****r.]

*Well, I do listen to folks at BBC Radio Oxford on match days

Throwing Sykes under a bus again then?

According to the East Anglian press we are one of several clubs that have enquired over James Norwood , although back in favour was dropped against Accy sat and they have recalled Simpson from S****** so have quite a few forwards

I'm confused by this 'we were going to pay x amount on a perm but Charlton offered more on a loan'.

Surely if they signed him on loan he'd continue to earn whatever he's on currently and Charlton would just pay a % to Boro?

Fwiw i just don't think he's worth the sums being discussed, especially following a significant knee surgery. We can do better.

I'm confused by this 'we were going to pay x amount on a perm but Charlton offered more on a loan'.

Surely if they signed him on loan he'd continue to earn whatever he's on currently and Charlton would just pay a % to Boro?

Fwiw i just don't think he's worth the sums being discussed, especially following a significant knee surgery. We can do better.

When we were in for him Charlton weren't. Boro wanted rid as he isn't In their plans so a fee had been agreed for a permanent move and wages had been discussed with browne. In steps Charlton who only want a loan till the end of the season but willing to pay over half his wage. Obviously boro can't force him to move to us and browne decided he would rather stay on 8k a week and get some game time at Charlton. Sounds like he's failed his medical now though so not sure where he goes now.

Last edited:

he still gets his 8k per week over 6 months =£192k then stays on 8k per week when he returns to Boro

if we offered say 3k for 18 months = £216k

so he gets an extra 24k over 18 months or 24k in 3 Weeks back at Boro

Marcus Browne signed a 4 year deal at 'Boro so has 18 months left on that. So around £600k in wages. I would imagine that any permanent deal would have been dependant on 'Boro paying off a chunk of his contract. If Charlton were looking at a loan deal with several thousand per week, 'Boro would likely prefer that. They may have then said that he can still leave on a permanent but with a reduced payoff leaving to Browne asking for a high wage to make up the difference. I don't know if this happened but it would maybe explain how things changed over a few days.

he still gets his 8k per week over 6 months =£192k then stays on 8k per week when he returns to Boro

if we offered say 3k for 18 months = £216k

so he gets an extra 24k over 18 months or 24k in 3 Weeks back at Boro

Crazy isn't it. Browne is contracted to the end of June 2023 so will earn about £592,000 sitting on the bench at Boro until then. Obviously he needs to be careful that beyond next year he could be struggling to even find a league 2 club take a punt on him especially if he doesn't get another loan or game time at Boro. I'm not sure exact how much we were offering him or how long a contract it was but it just shows how careful you have to be signing players on alot of money on long contracts.

Considering the guy who just scored his 50th goal for us, walked away despite shaking hands on a deal means that I don't think we should be getting too precious because one guy failed to chase down one ball in one game!!
It just feels too complicated so with his injury history (most recent one - knee) etc I’d steer clear!

Considering the guy who just scored his 50th goal for us, walked away despite shaking hands on a deal means that I don't think we should be getting too precious because one guy failed to chase down one ball in one game!!
When you're hitting around 20 odd goals a season you can afford to look elsewhere hand shake or not as there will be plenty of suitors.

When your career has fallen from a prem club to championship via Loans with average League 1 clubs and they are now your only option you've got money in the bank but your career is on a downward spiral and the money aspect is where lay the problem.

I'm not sure exact how much we were offering him or how long a contract it was but it just shows how careful you have to be signing players on alot of money on long contracts.

4e3b8752274f2ad5676bc164b50b6a59.jpg

Right, I re-listened to the transfer bit again from KR and typed it out too in case slowed down it made more sense.

The yellow shirt starter? The offer of a Zoom call? Why are we 'way off where we want to be' still?

Ramblings even our Bazzer would be proud of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NC: You could have done deals this week but they weren’t the right ones, things can still happen and it’s not all about money. Is that what you said basically before the game?

KR: No. There was a yellow shirt that we were, and – if anybody wants me to phone them on a Zoom and, and uh – I’ve had some great conversations with people, really good people. One or two things have fell flat this week. And, for me, my team means more to me than any individual and if somebody – I’m not going to get into it, it’s not the time – but there’s been some really positive conversations with some people who want to be here for the right reasons. There’s been some conversations with people for the wrong reasons. Shove it. Do one. ‘Cos we don’t need you. Whoever that is.

NC: Sorry, is that players coming in or players here already?

KR: A number of things! Like, this club means more – there’s no one person who is outside this football club or in this football club is bigger than the club! There’s no manager stood on this touchline who is greater than the badge, and the fans, who have been here for years. We are all a cog in that. Some players I’ve spoke to are dead excited about coming here. And can we make it work? We don’t know. But there’s enthusiasm to ‘can we have a conversation? Can we talk about this?’ Brilliant. But should I be chasing people? Should I be going backwards and forwards between a number of people? Shove it where the sun don’t shine. Because this football club is way off where we need to be still. And we’re in those stages – and for me, I am quite comfortable with who we are. And I think that’s err – and it’s not just people who will think it’s them. And there’s six things that have gone on this week and I’ve gone ‘Oh come on! Really?’. And that doesn’t really sit well with me. And there’s been two or three conversations this week where I’ve gone ‘Oh wow! I didn’t expect that. That is really exciting’ and it’s really refreshing. And you have these conversations with people all the time. Some people lift you to clouds and to dream, some people drag you in the doldrums sometimes and err – a player who skips on this pitch is far greater than someone I have to pull onto it. And that’s it. You cross that white line in a yellow shirt, it’s got to mean something to you ‘cos I think it means an awful lot to me, the players and the fans.
Is quite a rambling @unification

Back
Top Bottom