Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Personally, I liked Brandon Barker a lot. Not sure there'd be much value in another loan, but if there was a chance of a permanent deal, I hope that we'd be interested.
If you look how highly rated he was when he was young in the U21's etc it's a pity for him he has not lived up to his potential as of yet..

He had a touch of quality when he was on loan for us could beat a man was exciting at times I agree with others sometimes was abit lazy tracking back.

He needs to get his head sorted.

I am the only one who thinks that the notion of paying $650k for Cole Stockton is nuts?
That's OK, it's only £480k in real money...

I don't think it's 'nuts' so to speak, but it would certainly be outside of what we have been doing with recruitment. I don't have a problem with getting some older heads into the squad as I think we've missed that in the current side. Is he the right person however? Don't know.

We are OK to sign a player or two without an eye on resale value, but we have to be bloody careful when we do it that it's the right deal for the club.

I remember Manny Omoniymi scored the goal of the season against us for Gillingham at the Manor, so we were excited when we signed him. But he was rubbish!
I remember him on Cm0102 haha always thought he was going to be quality but ended up doing nothing. Think I may have even edited him to be a world beater one time haha

Not the sort of CM i was hoping we'd be looking at, very similar to Kane and Brannagan. Would rather we added a bit of height to the middle of the pitch.
Really? Can't see him coming to us I remember Bruce had those brothers playing well at one point for NUFC.. Is Matty the decent one?

Been reading through the pages just caught up.

Really? Can't see him coming to us I remember Bruce had those brothers playing well at one point for NUFC.. Is Matty the decent one?

Been reading through the pages just caught up.
Sean is generally considered the better player however Matty burst onto the scene with a winner against Man United at St James'. Hasn't made an impact at Aberdeen

Not the sort of CM i was hoping we'd be looking at, very similar to Kane and Brannagan. Would rather we added a bit of height to the middle of the pitch.
We are going to be passing it around beautifully in midfield, absolutely glorious passing.

Nobody to keep it out or out it in the net but that's by the by. Anyone can see another attacking midfielder is absolutely what we need.

a) He scored 15 goals in 49 appearances last season in a promotion-winning side. That's a James Constable level of output.
Now I love Beano as much as the next man, but there's no way I would have suggested that he was better than an average League Two striker.
And that is the limit of what Stockton has been, until this year

b) Both you and Scotchegg have used this # - if he has scored 20 goals for us in the Championship by this time next year, then yes he'll be worth a lot more.
But only two people have scored 20 goals in the Championship so far this season.....a Serbian international (Mitrovic) and a Chilean international (Brereton). That's an absurd level of expectation for the guy. Remember, Matty Taylor couldn't score at Championship level. Does everyone think, based on one cracker at the Kassam, that Stockton is an order of magnitude better than him?!?

a) Yes he scored 15 in 49, but he was also the best player for the lowest budget team in L2 who won promotion. He was worth far more than his goals, as he continues to be for them and would, hopefully, be for us with his energy and physicality.

b) I didn't say 20 Championship goals, I said 20 in the next year. He scored 29 in 2021.

Wasn’t 650k paid for Marvin Johnson?

Yes we did. We had him for a season and then sold him for £2.5m. That was always the plan. He was one of our biggest outlays for the one of the biggest returns from ‘the model’.

With Cole Stockton being three years older than Johnson was when we bought him, I can’t see resale in it myself unless he really sets the world alight. The value of going up is maybe the way they’re speculating to accumulate with a transfer such as this.

It’s spending but I’m with the cautious others on here in that this seems far more of a gamble than we’d usually take.

I don't think it's 'nuts' so to speak, but it would certainly be outside of what we have been doing with recruitment. I don't have a problem with getting some older heads into the squad as I think we've missed that in the current side. Is he the right person however? Don't know.

We are OK to sign a player or two without an eye on resale value, but we have to be bloody careful when we do it that it's the right deal for the club.

100% agree - that's what we did with Matty Taylor. And through a loan and then an OOC signing, we got one of the division's best strikers for nowt but what we're paying him (which is probably quite a lot but still great value).

I think this is what you call evolution. If we are serious about being a top 30 club in the coming years then at some point we have to start acting like a big club and big clubs spend big money on big players and right now Stockton is certainly one of the biggest in League 1. The model that, thus far, has served us well hasn't though got us to the promised land of The Championship and you'd think signing a player like this is as big a statement of intent from Oxford as I'd have seen in the past, maybe, 25 years. When have we ever been in the market for the leading scorer of the division we are playing in ? John Aldridge perhaps but I'm pretty sure Newport were the league below at the time.

Young, aspiring loanees get you so far but we need the real deal and if the owners are prepared to back Robinson with a purchase like this then it's fantastic news for the fans , not to mention exciting to be seen as a serious player in this league rather than just little old Oxford buying, selling and striving to over achieve to maybe knock on the door of the play offs.

Don't criticise it, embrace it is what we should be doing and hopefully welcoming a new era where we are in for the best we can get.

I'm sorry - but I genuinely believe that acting like a big club before you have the infrastructure in place is how you end up like Bury or Macclesfield (or Bolton or Pompey or Notts County or any of the other clubs that haven't died through overspending but have danced with it and dropped down the leagues as a direct result).

If you ignore transfer dealing, we currently lose, what, 2-3m per year? Maybe more?
In the last few years, we've been able to mitigate that by making a transfer profit. If we start spending rather than selling, then the annual loss will increase.
And if we get to the Championship - then presumably under your logic, we would not want to take the Wycombe route of 'bank the money and run', we would spend to try and compete in the league. To run OUFC, as things currently stand, with even a lower midtable Championship budget, we would have to be losing more like 10m per year.
And all of that debt goes on our books. Our owners may be supporting the club by loaning us the money, but they're not doing an Abrahamovich and writing that debt off. If they left tomorrow, it would still all be owed.

Personally, I'm more than happy with where we are (competing for a playoff place in a really competitive, and frankly awesome League One), and running the model that we do for now whilst we sort out the stadium issues. Once we have that sorted, the off-the-field future is settled and we know that we have the capacity to grow.....then by all means start acting like a Top 30 club. But honestly right now, I think it's premature, and frankly dangerous.

We are going to be passing it around beautifully in midfield, absolutely glorious passing.

Nobody to keep it out or out it in the net but that's by the by. Anyone can see another attacking midfielder is absolutely what we need.
I didn't realise we had to sign players in a specific order. We will have to tell potential signings to just wait around whilst we finalise a centre back . Get real

Think people are getting a little hooked on the individual resale and return of Stockton. I get that as that's been the obvious model we have pursued whilst the team/club were acknowledging themselves as just a middle of the road League One side. But we're no longer that club, we are a club with aspirations of promotion and championship football.

Would people accept that £650,000 on a 27 year old player, whose goals may help the club secure it's ambitions to reach the Championship, might see the rest of the entire playing squads value(s) increase exponentially? So Jack Stevens goes from a £1m player to a £2m player based solely being a OUFC Championship player. Cam Bran goes from a £1m player to a £2.5m player and so on. Does it matter that whilst all that is happening, our 28 year old goalscorer goes from a £650K player to a £500K player due to his age?

Let alone the valuation of the club.

That alone would be worth £650K of anyones money.

This all seems to assume that Morecambe would actually accept £650k, apart from any personal negotiations. I'm sure he has another 18 months on his agreement.

We'd certainly be arguing for more if he was our 20 goal centre forward!

Back
Top Bottom