Ex Player Jack Stevens

Skip to 3 minutes into this video to see how Wayne Browne knew which way Schwartz was going wit his penalty. Really interesting!

Skip to 3 minutes into this video to see how Wayne Browne knew which way Schwartz was going wit his penalty. Really interesting!

This not only shows how fantastic Wayne Brown is with the goalkeeping development and preparation, but the kind of man Simon Eastwood is. He is working just as hard at support Jack as he did when he was no.1.

We've got some really good backroom staff, and Jack coming through as strong as he has is a credit to Wayne and others.

I make it 37 points picked up in 19 games since this man came into the side against Ipswich. That's 1.95 PPG, which rounds out to 90 pts over the course of a season. The normally gets you top of the playoff places at least, sometimes the autos. Before that, 13 in 13 (1PPG, 46 pts over the season), which, as we all know, is relegation form.

I know it's not as simple as 'Jack Stevens has singlehandedly turned us from relegation fodder to promotion candidates' but....

Last night proves that Jack is only human, another terrific save from the penalty, then maybe could have done better for scum goal, although hard to tell from ifollow, also error in coming out to try and punch clear giving them a great chance to score which fortunately the guy missed. Great we have secured a long contract for him, a lad with a great future and still learning.

Was our defense shite because of Eastwood, or did Eastwood look worse because our defense was all over the place?

Chicken, egg!

I guess it's all fairly irrelevant now. Jack has grabbed his chance with both hands and will hopefully stay our no.1 for many seasons to come.
I think you can sort of tell the answer to that because of how we conceded goals, and what happened at first when Stevens came in.

If when Eastwood was playing we conceded goals because he was peppered with shots, and then Stevens came in and barely had to make a save, then it would be one thing. But that’s not what happened. Eastwood was making absolute calamity mistakes, dropping clangers that any keeper shouldn’t make. When Stevens came in, especially in the first few games, he was having to pull off multiple good saves. But the defence did improve, because they had a keeper who communicated more, commanded his line, and pushed up high, allowing them to keep a higher line rather than dropping back, and came to claim high balls.

It will never be possible to prove that Robinson should have brought him in earlier though despite 90% of the fanbase calling for Eastwood to be dropped, being clearly shot of all confidence, because it’s impossible to argue with ‘ah, but Stevens has been so good that I clearly brought him in at just the right time’. To look at it the other way, if Robinson had given Eastwood another 5 games then brought Jack in, who no doubt would have done just as well as he did, those same people on here would be saying ‘but but but if Stevens had been brought in 5 games earlier this could never have happened, he would have crumbled!’

When Stevens came in, especially in the first few games, he was having to pull off multiple good saves. But the defence did improve, because they had a keeper who communicated more, commanded his line, and pushed up high, allowing them to keep a higher line rather than dropping back, and came to claim high balls.
I agree that Stevens came in with confidence and has done incredibly well but I am not sure that your claim that he was having to pull off multiple good saves when he first came in is right?
My recollection is that in his first few games he actually didn't have that many saves to make. His overall game was good, but it has been more recently (Peterborough and the 2 penalty saves), where he has to have made outstanding saves.

One other thing. Stevens has got away with a few. So on Tuesday when he punched and the Swi**** player put it over the top. Has Eastwood done that and it had gone in he would have been lambasted for making a total howler.

I agree that Stevens came in with confidence and has done incredibly well but I am not sure that your claim that he was having to pull off multiple good saves when he first came in is right?
My recollection is that in his first few games he actually didn't have that many saves to make. His overall game was good, but it has been more recently (Peterborough and the 2 penalty saves), where he has to have made outstanding saves.

One other thing. Stevens has got away with a few. So on Tuesday when he punched and the Swi**** player put it over the top. Has Eastwood done that and it had gone in he would have been lambasted for making a total howler.
Stevens definitely has made some great saves, remember that game at home (I forget which one) where he made an almost superhuman double save at the Oxford Mail end? Maybe the first couple of games he didn’t have much to do but he’s definitely pulled off a lot of saves in the first 5-10 games he played.

Also yes, that would have been a howler apart from luck - but it’s pretty much two mistakes in all the games he’s played since coming in. Eastwood was making two per game!

Also yes, that would have been a howler apart from luck - but it’s pretty much two mistakes in all the games he’s played since coming in. Eastwood was making two per game!
I rate Stevens highly and it is right that he is in the team.
But Eastwood was not making 2 a game.
Stevens has made far more than 2 mistakes in all of the games he has played. He made 2 on Tuesday and has got away with flying out of his box 2 or 3 times at least (Dembele should have scored v Pompey and he also got away with it v Hull)
He misplaced a punch v Pompey (?) also which could have cost us.
It is absolutely right that Stevens is in the team, but to suggest that he has made 2 mistakes in all of those games is wrong.

I rate Stevens highly and it is right that he is in the team.
But Eastwood was not making 2 a game.
Stevens has made far more than 2 mistakes in all of the games he has played. He made 2 on Tuesday and has got away with flying out of his box 2 or 3 times at least (Dembele should have scored v Pompey and he also got away with it v Hull)
He misplaced a punch v Pompey (?) also which could have cost us.
It is absolutely right that Stevens is in the team, but to suggest that he has made 2 mistakes in all of those games is wrong.

of course he hasnt, there is not a current goalkeeper in world football thats made only two mistakes in 19 games, but it does make me laugh most outfield players will misplace a pass or shoot and not even be on target more than twice in every game but never come under such scrutiny as golkeepers do. Its almost that we expect them to be inch perfect in what they do everytime they cross the white line.

Interesting latest stats on the lad - even though they state he is Welsh and pretty sure he is English

of course he hasnt, there is not a current goalkeeper in world football thats made only two mistakes in 19 games, but it does make me laugh most outfield players will misplace a pass or shoot and not even be on target more than twice in every game but never come under such scrutiny as golkeepers do. Its almost that we expect them to be inch perfect in what they do everytime they cross the white line.

Interesting latest stats on the lad - even though they state he is Welsh and pretty sure he is English

I think Jacks shakiest game was against the Scum ( and even then he pulled off the match winning penalty save) and I'm pretty sure it was because it was because he knew how big a game it was, fans or not .trying to hard springs to mind .
He is an outstanding prospect , keep him , Elliot Moore, Atkinson then fingers crossed Dan starts banging them in so we have him or Matty next season then the team starts to take very good shape, Throw in Long , Ruffs , Gorrin who will likely be here then I'm certainly looking forward to next season ( although not writing off going up through the play offs this )

How many clean sheets has he had now, and how many appearances. The defence look far more comfortable with Stevens in goal.

12 clean sheets in 26 games, all comps, for this season.

In his 31 Oxford appearances to date, he’s been on the losing side only four times as well.
.... needs to up his game then ;) , with less than 50% 'strike rate' of clean sheets to games played this season , as my old school reports used to say 'must do better' ;)

meanwhile, in the real world, (young) Jack Stevens is doing great and long may it continue

Three (more) clean sheets in the next three games would be brilliant

Will be getting my player of the season vote if his form carries through till the end.

Lots have potential to win it this season but the change in results, and goals conceded since he came into the team has been incredible. Obviously not the only factor in the turn around but certainly a massive part.

Will be getting my player of the season vote if his form carries through till the end.

Lots have potential to win it this season but the change in results, and goals conceded since he came into the team has been incredible. Obviously not the only factor in the turn around but certainly a massive part.
He ( Jack Stevens) , is currently in a 3 way tie with Moore and Long for my player of this (strange) season

Back
Top Bottom