Ex Player Jack Stevens

I cannot see Stevens being ready for the championship yet. He has loads of potential but he makes a few mistakes and his kicking needs to be developed more in my view. I'm not slating him as I think he can go far but at the same time I don't think he as near to the finished article as some others do.

£1Million for Stevens?😳😂
No way is he going for that kind of money... Not even half that.
Good as Jack Stevens undoubtedly is, £300,000 would be seen as good business.

We didn’t even get a million quid for Lundstram or Ledson. Matt Ingram was the standout goalkeeper in the bottom two divisions when Wycombe sold him to QPR in 2016, and he only fetched £500,000. Barnsley wanted Eastwood a few seasons back when he was our POTY and weren’t willing to offer more than £300,000.

Tbf, Lunny and Lego were in the last year of their contracts and Jack Stevens isn't. Ingram might have been as well but my memory may be failing me.

Tbf, Lunny and Lego were in the last year of their contracts and Jack Stevens isn't. Ingram might have been as well but my memory may be failing me.
They were, but they were also midfielders who garner more than a goalkeeper by default. Goalkeepers are the cheapest position to purchase by a mile, rightly or wrongly. Ingram was even younger than Stevens is now as well as being much more experienced, and had better ability. Stevens has loads of potential and has done really well, I think he’s great, but he’s nowhere near being a million pound player. To be a seven-figure goalkeeper at L1 level takes something absolutely phenomenal. And that’s before we factor in the current climate.

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about how much he’s worth for a little while yet.

Daniel Bentley the Southend keeper was sold in 2016 for 1.1 million from league 1.
Yep, after three seasons of absolutely outstanding performances that was the fee set by a tribunal. We’re a way off Stevens being in that bracket. He needs to play all of next season, minimum, and be our POTY to be in that bracket.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a million quid for him yet but hey, if someone wants to pay it, fine. I would rather he stays here and keeps getting better either way. He’s a very good goalkeeper who will only improve.

We also won’t find another goalkeeper as good looking as him. He’s the best we’ve had since Lundin.

They were, but they were also midfielders who garner more than a goalkeeper by default. Goalkeepers are the cheapest position to purchase by a mile, rightly or wrongly. Ingram was even younger than Stevens is now as well as being much more experienced, and had better ability. Stevens has loads of potential and has done really well, I think he’s great, but he’s nowhere near being a million pound player. To be a seven-figure goalkeeper at L1 level takes something absolutely phenomenal. And that’s before we factor in the current climate.

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about how much he’s worth for a little while yet.

I wasn't really arguing the valuation one way or the other for JS but rather that the others' values were affected by their contract position.

Yep, after three seasons of absolutely outstanding performances that was the fee set by a tribunal. We’re a way off Stevens being in that bracket. He needs to play all of next season, minimum, and be our POTY to be in that bracket.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a million quid for him yet but hey, if someone wants to pay it, fine. I would rather he stays here and keeps getting better either way. He’s a very good goalkeeper who will only improve.

We also won’t find another goalkeeper as good looking as him. He’s the best we’ve had since Lundin.
You’re forgetting Paul Kee?

Ingram was , and remains a fantastic shot stopper but he is very much a traditional keeper where Jack defo more of a sweeper keeper in the modern way which would suit many more sides .
Not the finished article at all and needs a full season to gain experience but has all the attributes .

Daniel Bentley went to Brentford didn’t he? I guess a premiership club might pay more but it seems they develop their own or buy from abroad. Anyway I hope he stays and becomes a mainstay.

Cant recall his name but Southend sold a young keeper with a handful of appearances to Manchester United a year or so back. Not sure what the fee was but with United involved you’d think it was relatively sizeable.

Just looked. Nathan Bishop, 21, 30 games for Southend in L1. Nothing particularly stand out, in terms of clean sheets, looking at his Southend record. Goalkeepers often are in the eye of the beholder and young keepers are sometimes snapped up by biggish clubs who see something in terms of potential.

Just debating. What salary do you think Jack is on right now? What could Boro offer?

I would have thought that another season as#1 here would do him far more good than going back to be a#2 one division higher, especially given how long he spent waiting for his chance with us.

He was Southends best player and the best keeper in the league. I wouldn't say Jack is at the same standard yet.
Bentley was the standout L1 keeper for 2-3 seasons. If Boro do come in with a bid, and he can x3-5 his salary, then he'll go. At the worst, he'll play a few Championship games next three seasons and then move on, still only 25. He might even get loaned back to us for a season. I would think £500-750k in today's market

Back
Top Bottom