Jack Payne - RECALLED

Sorry: WHAT is "categorically wrong". You have no idea what was going through Dunkley's head? Or what he is being paid. You have no idea what Jack Payne was saying to his agent. You have no idea what Appleton was thinking. But none of these players have gone for knock-out moves like Roofe straight from League 2 to the Championship (which we all understood well). They are going sideways, or upwards so little that you can barely discern it. Which would hardly imply that OUFC is viewed within the squad as the place to be, right now.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the success of the three years until last April. Last January away to Boro and last April away to Millwall made me truly proud, in a way I haven't felt for years. But I also enjoyed the mid-1990s. Didn't mean I had to behave as though lobotomised when things started to first drift and then crater. It is entirely possible to see progress and success for what it is, and then see drift and degradation for what it is as well.

Signing Brannegan is entirely compatible with bedding in for the long run in League 1 mid-table. It's a model pursued by Posh for years. Fund running losses by trading players. Very decent, admirable stuff. But hardly ambitious. If we were signing Brannegan with the intention of keeping him here for the mid-term push up the pyramid, that would be a very different thing, of course. But recent history suggests otherwise.
Dunkley doubled his wages, same as Lundstrum and Maguire, we had a wage structure model that was affordable.
Payne is a loan player and there was always the issue of the January window, do you know we never instigated the return to use the money else where because of new players coming in and the stagnation of Payne.
Appleton was offered a massive wage hike to help out at a prem club, it seems to be working fine.
I certainly wouldn't describe the current situation as drifting..

I'm disappointed but not all that surprised that Payne has gone back and no doubt in line about to be loaned out again. But in my humble opinion, Payne was to me a couple of Buzz Lightyears away from anything else we have at our disposal at the club at present. The present new company the club has at their disposal and waiting in the wings are for obvious reasons excluded.

I must confess I didn't really know too much about Payne before he came to the club although my son was always raving about Payne when he and his Southend team regularly came to the Kassam and poached their three points annually. I probably didn't really notice his own individual stand out performances at the time as I was probably already thinking of what excuses I could come up with for my morning meetings with my fellow idiotic workmates.

I have watched Payne in almost 95% of his starts this season and in my own lonely honest opinion, he has been so far ahead of the team at times in his vision and touch that he has at times made a bit of a mockery of his all-around game. Players can only do so much and all professionals in the PL and EFL are all relatively equal before kick off collectively but once the game starts there inequalities seep through. The inequalities are simple to see as in most players can shoot, pass and tackle but its the consistency which defines the best from the rest and that's why league 1 is league 1 and league 2 is league 2 etc etc. Payne is probably playing a consistent 7 although some fans may argue with this as he's our most consistent hauled off player....why? It's because he is several paces quicker in thought and at times it seems that he has got himself stuck in a bit of a hole leading to him being subbed. Our 'better' players within the squad may etch a consistent 6 whilst others pitch in around the 5/6 mark. PL players are expected to be consistent with a higher rating as with the top Championship players.

I will miss the little man in our midfield and thank him for his undoubted passion and efforts whilst in an OUFC shirt and for the footballing man that I know, LondonRoader for I would like to know a little more about the 'stagnation' of Payne.

Hopefully, these new signings are going to be a vital step in our progress up the ladder as I want to see my club back among the top two divisions...I personally don't want to wait around too long seeing the same old bloody grounds year after year. We must now start growing a big pair and being as I said a lot more consistent in every department of the football club if we are ever to be taken seriously again.

I want the fans to come back in droves and the only way forward is progression and I know it doesn't come cheap....but on the flip side it is not always as costly as everyone thinks. Young hungry talented forgotten about premier footballers aided and abetted by talented mid aged serial league 1 top end players could give United a lower end Championship finish and for me and a lot of other fellow supporters I've spoken too on my travels have said they would swap at the drop of a large hat the cosy league 1 grounds we have now felt a little too comfortable with for a few decent trips to such clubs as QPR, Fulham, Millwall, Villa, Norwich etc and dare I say it our plastic biscuit men a few miles down the road. Who really wouldn't want to taste this even if we couldn't sustain it forever and it was for just a few seasons.

Dare I dream.......

Sorry about my love in with Jack.

Hurray. Another Charlie/scotchegg “debate”. Zzzzzzz.

Last edited:
I am sorry to see him go. He was one of our best players. At times, completely unplayable. Close control. Taking players on with the ball at his feet was a joy to watch at times this season and out of all of our loanees, he was, IMO the best of the lot.

Sorry: WHAT is "categorically wrong". You have no idea what was going through Dunkley's head? Or what he is being paid. You have no idea what Jack Payne was saying to his agent. You have no idea what Appleton was thinking. But none of these players have gone for knock-out moves like Roofe straight from League 2 to the Championship (which we all understood well). They are going sideways, or upwards so little that you can barely discern it. Which would hardly imply that OUFC is viewed within the squad as the place to be, right now.

Blackburn is a sideways move? You presumably think we have an excellent chance of promotion then?

I'm not sure how this fits in with the rest of your post.

I'm disappointed but not all that surprised that Payne has gone back and no doubt in line about to be loaned out again. But in my humble opinion, Payne was to me a couple of Buzz Lightyears away from anything else we have at our disposal at the club at present. The present new company the club has at their disposal and waiting in the wings are for obvious reasons excluded.

I must confess I didn't really know too much about Payne before he came to the club although my son was always raving about Payne when he and his Southend team regularly came to the Kassam and poached their three points annually. I probably didn't really notice his own individual stand out performances at the time as I was probably already thinking of what excuses I could come up with for my morning meetings with my fellow idiotic workmates.

I have watched Payne in almost 95% of his starts this season and in my own lonely honest opinion, he has been so far ahead of the team at times in his vision and touch that he has at times made a bit of a mockery of his all-around game. Players can only do so much and all professionals in the PL and EFL are all relatively equal before kick off collectively but once the game starts there inequalities seep through. The inequalities are simple to see as in most players can shoot, pass and tackle but its the consistency which defines the best from the rest and that's why league 1 is league 1 and league 2 is league 2 etc etc. Payne is probably playing a consistent 7 although some fans may argue with this as he's our most consistent hauled off player....why? It's because he is several paces quicker in thought and at times it seems that he has got himself stuck in a bit of a hole leading to him being subbed. Our 'better' players within the squad may etch a consistent 6 whilst others pitch in around the 5/6 mark. PL players are expected to be consistent with a higher rating as with the top Championship players.

I will miss the little man in our midfield and thank him for his undoubted passion and efforts whilst in an OUFC shirt and for the footballing man that I know, LondonRoader for I would like to know a little more about the 'stagnation' of Payne.

Hopefully, these new signings are going to be a vital step in our progress up the ladder as I want to see my club back among the top two divisions...I personally don't want to wait around too long seeing the same old bloody grounds year after year. We must now start growing a big pair and being as I said a lot more consistent in every department of the football club if we are ever to be taken seriously again.

I want the fans to come back in droves and the only way forward is progression and I know it doesn't come cheap....but on the flip side it is not always as costly as everyone thinks. Young hungry talented forgotten about premier footballers aided and abetted by talented mid aged serial league 1 top end players could give United a lower end Championship finish and for me and a lot of other fellow supporters I've spoken too on my travels have said they would swap at the drop of a large hat the cosy league 1 grounds we have now felt a little too comfortable with for a few decent trips to such clubs as QPR, Fulham, Millwall, Villa, Norwich etc and dare I say it our plastic biscuit men a few miles down the road. Who really wouldn't want to taste this even if we couldn't sustain it forever and it was for just a few seasons.

Dare I dream.......

Sorry about my love in with Jack.
I agree with you're post about Payne but he's been a bit part player in the last month, since we changed to a 442 system to make the team better Jack has suffered on the wing, that might have coincided with the manager knowing of the impending recall.
Talented as Jack might be, trying to shoehorn him in the team and the fact teams worked out how to stop him hampered us, as we don't have enough attacking midfield talent when he's not in midfield. Now Mowett has been taken off the subs bench and hopefully with the new players and others coming back from injury it will give us more midfield push.

Gone to Blackburn Rovers for the rest of the season. As most suspected loaned out again immediately.

Payne reportedly been unhappy at new system and constant subbing.

IMHO, we may be a little tougher in this division without him.

What Payne - and most premier league and championship players - has is the ability to play with two feet. Most of our team use one leg for standing on. It makes playing against them that much easier as the movement is so much more predictable.

Payne reportedly been unhappy at new system and constant subbing.

IMHO, we may be a little tougher in this division without him.

I would guess that we've known of Jack's return for sometime and have changed because of it. Blackburn have probably looked at a try before you buy deal in order to sign him in the summer and that meets the needs of both player and club.

You're right that we look more secure in our current formation and will hopefully add quality to replace Jack.

I heard that clotet did not want to bring him in the first place and was a signing made by the back room team. But he had to use him as it would have caused trouble to Eales

So he won't be sorry to see him go. We are a better TEAM without the sulking little s**t

Payne has some definite quality - but he is very small and lightweight and very much prone to dribbling the ball down the nearest dead end he can find. Now, that might be because our support play is poor - or it might be because he doesn't have enough awareness of what's around him. He certainly doesn't fit well into a 4-4-2. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses - from what I've seen, he hasn't quite got the quality to be an effective Championship player, never mind higher than that. He probably needs a good coach to spend considerable time with him.

I heard that clotet did not want to bring him in the first place and was a signing made by the back room team. But he had to use him as it would have caused trouble to Eales

So he won't be sorry to see him go. We are a better TEAM without the sulking little s**t

There we go. Backlash kicking in 100% now.

I heard he smells a bit funny too.

Back
Top Bottom