Ex Player Jack Stevens

It really isn't that simple.
As others have said he will probably quadruple his salary. You can not keep a player against his will if a PL club comes in ( and if the price is right)

He's contracted with us for another 3 years, it's hardly keeping a player against his will if we decide we don't want to sell him this year. What good would it do if Jack through a wobbly and decided he didn't want to play for us anymore? He would get shifted to reserve keeper and by next summer no offers would come in as no other club are going to pay for a league 1 second keeper.

Crazy , unrealistic and unfair . The guy will make enough money to set him up for life .
Sadly football doesn't work like that anymore as just too much wonder about.
Yea he will quadruple his wages but if he was keen to move why sign a new contract why not wait until this summer and see what happened how I see yea it’s unfair to keep him against his will but we need to stop bowing to players how are we going to improve when every player just jumps ship the first time a team come calling

Crazy , unrealistic and unfair . The guy will make enough money to set him up for life .
Sadly football doesn't work like that anymore as just too much wonder about.

On that basis every good player might aswell go play as a premier league reserve player as they will earn more money. Thankfully players look at the bigger picture then just what money is coming in and that's why league 1 and the championship are so competitive.

Stevens is worth alot of money to us, and has a long contract. That puts us in a really strong position. He's probably worth £1m in today's market, but we are in a great position to ask for more than that - £1.5 to £2m plus sell ons etc. If he turns into a regular Premier league keeper then we should benefit from this in the form of appearance fees.

On that basis every good player might aswell go play as a premier league reserve player as they will earn more money. Thankfully players look at the bigger picture then just what money is coming in and that's why league 1 and the championship are so competitive.
The e Championship wages completely eclipse what we can offer.
Name me any League one player or Championship for that matter who wouldn't move to a Premier league side on a three year deal which would quadruple their money .

I think between 500k and 1m is probably right. But in a cost/benefit analysis, I don't see how it makes much sense to sell. Players like Atkinson or Baptiste you can see being sold to support the club and 'support the model'. I'm fully behind that, as I think most of us are. But if Stevens were to go for that amount, you would have to ask whether it reflects his value to the club, both on and off the pitch, at this moment in time.

Off the pitch, as I say, I accept that players need to be sold every year. But given we have already two players this summer by, for all accounts, nearly £2m, is an additional 500k really going to make that much of a difference to the club's financial situation? I wouldn't have thought so. His contract situation means there's no need to take the money and run, either. On the pitch, I think Stevens is worth more to us than 500k-1m. Good keepers, at any level, are really tough to come by. Once you find one, you can't take them for granted. We've been pretty lucky in recent years in that we've had Clarkey and then Eastwood and then Stevens who we could hang our hats on, but even in the interim periods, or when Eastwood lost form, we've seen how damaging a subpar keeper can be. Remember Mitchell? Shearer? Hell, the 15-16 squad, probably the relative best in terms of the level it was playing at that most of us have ever seen in Oxford shirts, didn't guarantee promotion until the second half of the final game of the season in part because it was stuck with Slocombe and then Buchel between the sticks for the year! It literally loses you games, in a way a subpar option in any other position just doesn't.

I appreciate that its the 'going rate', and Easty can be (although by no means will be) a solid replacement, but I would be pretty disappointed if this were to go through. If we don't need to sell, and we don't have to sell, I would like to see us stand firm on this.

EDIT To clarify, the above refers to if the price is in that 500-1m range. Anything above that and I don't think the club is in a position to turn it down. £1m+ is a lot of money.

Last edited:
Yea he will quadruple his wages but if he was keen to move why sign a new contract why not wait until this summer and see what happened how I see yea it’s unfair to keep him against his will but we need to stop bowing to players how are we going to improve when every player just jumps ship the first time a team come calling
I'd love to go back to the days where you can build a team over 2/ 3 seasons ( a la Jim Smith first era ) and hold onto your better players as you do.
I just can't see how we could stop a player from basically being set up for life if they get their move . Who knows what will happen 6 months down the line in regards to injury, illness , loss of form etc

• React
Reactions: m
All this talk of Stevens quadrupling his wages is nonsense: he would increase them by twice that amount still. It would be life-changing. Same as when Baptiste went to a Championship club and his wages rose nearly tenfold.

There will be an understanding that in signing a three-year deal to ensure the club is protected, it in turn won’t stand in his way. He could’ve left for compensation only this summer which would’ve been a few hundred grand at most - he’s been fair so it’s very unlikely that a game of hardball is on the agenda if a bid materialises. A million quid, a bonus or two (X PL appearances, international caps just in case) and a 10-20% sell-on and he’s off.

Any club would want him. You don’t find many keepers who look that good in pastel. He’s basically a unicorn.

What we should do is say to JS you’ve only just signed a three year deal as a club we expect you to at least stay for this season and then next summer we will sell if a club comes in for you and if your no happy you can go back to being our U23 goalie… simples
What if he gets injured? look at Jamie Brooks for example all set to go to Arsenal at the end of the season but then gets an illness (which nearly cost him his life)
There is a short time span as a footballer take every opportunity you can to improve yourself

Did a little bit of digging into fees for under 25 goalkeepers moving between two English clubs.
Age at the time in brackets.

Paulo Gazzaniga - (20) - July 2012: Gillingham to Southampton - Undisclosed, rumoured to be circa £1.5m plus player on loan
Karl Darlow - (24) - August 2014: Nottingham Forest to Newcastle - Double deal with Jamaal Lascelles was £7m plus loan back for the season
Alex Smithies - (25) - August 2015: Huddersfield to QPR - circa £1.5m
Matt Ingram - (22) - January 2016: Wycombe to QPR - £500k
Daniel Bentley - (23) - July 2016: Southend to Brentford - Out of Contract, tribunal decided initial £1.1m, plus add-ons and sell-on fee.
Nick Pope - (24) - July 2016: Charlton to Burnley - Undisclosed, rumoured to be circa £1m
Aaron Ramsdale - (18) - January 2017: Sheffield United to Bournemouth - 800k-£1m
Daniel Bentley - (25) - July 2019: Brentford to Bristol City - £2m
Aaron Ramsdale - (22) - August 2020: Bournemouth to Sheffield United - £18.5m

Can't see us getting anywhere near 2 million for Jack. Take Daniel Bentley ex Southend keeper that was sold to Brentford for 1.1 million in 2016, he was far more experienced then Jack. Keepers don't fetch the money that outfield players do and maybe us as a club should refuse all offers even if Jack does want the move.

He also moved to championship Brentford rather than premier league Aston Villa, bit of a difference in wealth there.

"Tiger, do you want a million pound in your pocket?"

"Jack do you want to become a millionaire?"

If Villa bid, he goes
Right because that's how it works. Club sells player and skips all moral/legal processes as a business and the proceeds are wired straight in to the owner's piggy bank. Come on.....

He said he didn’t want to be anywhere else, when he signed the new contract.
So to me, the club should ask big.
If true.

I don’t think that’s how it works, every player would but they don’t get the opportunity! League 1 and Championship are competitive because there are a lot of good players in this country. There are very few players in L1 who would turn down a move to Aston Villa and £10-15k a week.

Back
Top Bottom