Ex Player Jack Stevens

All this talk of Stevens quadrupling his wages is nonsense: he would increase them by twice that amount still. It would be life-changing. Same as when Baptiste went to a Championship club and his wages rose nearly tenfold.

There will be an understanding that in signing a three-year deal to ensure the club is protected, it in turn won’t stand in his way. He could’ve left for compensation only this summer which would’ve been a few hundred grand at most - he’s been fair so it’s very unlikely that a game of hardball is on the agenda if a bid materialises. A million quid, a bonus or two (X PL appearances, international caps just in case) and a 10-20% sell-on and he’s off.

Any club would want him. You don’t find many keepers who look that good in pastel. He’s basically a unicorn.
I have to say i completely agree with this. If they offer in the ballpark of a mil and 10 grand a week, its a done deal, simple as.
Unfourtunately the interest is clearly there, he'd be a great, cost-effective back up with scope to take the number 1 jersey within a few years.
Im afraid im not confident stevens will be playing at Oxford United this season.
Lets just hope all this cash money were taking gets spent wisely.

Wouldn't Tiger only get £250k as he only owns a quarter of the club?

There could be a cause in place that states that any outward transfers Tiger gets the funds until the takeover is completed. Didn't Eales do similar when he left?

How about we double his wages and offer to lengthen his contract?
The would surely increase his value and make him feel even more wanted. The risk is we don’t want to damage the pay structure.
Loaning him back to us would give us the chance to gain promotion, and if necessary attract another keeper. If they’re not as expensive as other players should work.

There could be a cause in place that states that any outward transfers Tiger gets the funds until the takeover is completed. Didn't Eales do similar when he left?
That would be a bit short-sighted of the 'new' owners as it would be a positive incentive for ST to flog off the family silver! They'd be left with the players Tiger couldn't shift for the start of the new season...

It's what Ol' Slippery got away with. Not just the one player either.
not strictly. that was an agreement signed by the current owners to pay back debt owed. the money didn't go direct to Eales, it went into a specified account (owned by the club) and the 'excess' over a set amount went to pay the debt at set intervals.

not strictly. that was an agreement signed by the current owners to pay back debt owed. the money didn't go direct to Eales, it went into a specified account (owned by the club) and the 'excess' over a set amount went to pay the debt at set intervals.
This is the problem with expecting owners to put a lot of money into players. At some point it will probably have to be paid back.

How about we double his wages and offer to lengthen his contract?
The would surely increase his value and make him feel even more wanted. The risk is we don’t want to damage the pay structure.
Loaning him back to us would give us the chance to gain promotion, and if necessary attract another keeper. If they’re not as expensive as other players should work.
Why would he sign it though? It makes it more difficult for him to leave whilst still getting nowhere near what a Premier League club could offer him in wages.

Villa are a prime example of what a good keeper adds to a team.
Defensively a massive difference between last and the season before.

I really don’t see how we can complain if any of our players go
We do exactly the same thing usually when we get a player from a lower division
Take Atkinson and Whyte both in lower league clubs we saw potential in both
We pay a fee to the club which eventually is accepted we probably double/ triple that players wages
Stevens slightly different but how some on here say these players shouldn’t leave is hypocritical

Can anyone give some concrete figures on what Stevens is likely to be on now, and how much Villa would likely offer him?

It was a charge registered against OUFC, not the owners. It meant that any revenue was redirected into a holding account and had to be paid to Ensco 1070 Ltd. (wholly owned by D Eales) It was set up for the outstanding amounts from player sales. It was not part of the purchase it was simply a vehicle for Ol' Slippery to walk away in profit when, in reality those player sales should have benefitted the club. Despite all his promises to see the club debt free, Eales still left the club shackled. He even retained voting rights through shares long after he had departed. That voting right meant that he could check on the payments and make sure he didn't miss anything.

The charge is registered at Companies house Here This "charge" over OUFC was eventually settled.

May I suggest that Tiger has considerable more assets than Eales and therefore his priorities might be somewhat different plus he is still evidently very much wanting to be involved.

May I suggest that Tiger has considerable more assets than Eales and therefore his priorities might be somewhat different plus he is still evidently very much wanting to be involved.
With respect, you can suggest but, I think you'd be wrong. There is no doubting that the board have considerable wealth but Tiger? Very difficult to find any evidence of that. He has part ownership of a clothing manufacturer in Thailand and was certainly involved in the land deal at Reading but, other than that, I don't know.

It was a charge registered against OUFC, not the owners. It meant that any revenue was redirected into a holding account and had to be paid to Ensco 1070 Ltd. (wholly owned by D Eales) It was set up for the outstanding amounts from player sales. It was not part of the purchase it was simply a vehicle for Ol' Slippery to walk away in profit when, in reality those player sales should have benefitted the club. Despite all his promises to see the club debt free, Eales still left the club shackled. He even retained voting rights through shares long after he had departed. That voting right meant that he could check on the payments and make sure he didn't miss anything.

The charge is registered at Companies house Here This "charge" over OUFC was eventually settled.
He said he would leave the club with no additional debt - and to that he was true, the debt referred to here was in effect inherited from WPL.
I am well aware of the charge, had it checked out by people that know this sort of thing. It is not an uncommon debt tool against businesses that don't actually have any 'real' assets to record against. " It meant that any revenue was redirected into a holding account and had to be paid to Ensco 1070 Ltd." - very specific revenue, not any revenue. And only the excess above a certain figure (varies by date, approx £1million) on set dates was paid to Ensco
The charge was for 4 and 1/4 million give or take. The amount owed by the club to ENSCO in 2017 was over £12million.

Last edited:
But transfer fees have kept going up wildly in the 5 years since Bentley transferred. Premier league 2 mill is peanuts , absolutely peanuts .
Football is a awful place these days with money dominant more than ever.
Jack would be mad not to go and become a millionaire if he signs a decent contract .
A year ago Mellow Yellow had him down as not good enough for us !!
The irony there is a year ago KR wouldn't have thought he was good enough to be our first choice keeper. Borne out by KR not replacing Eastwood with him when he should have. A few games earlier and I think we would have got more points but KR dithered because he didn't fully trust him.

The irony there is a year ago KR wouldn't have thought he was good enough to be our first choice keeper. Borne out by KR not replacing Eastwood with him when he should have. A few games earlier and I think we would have got more points but KR dithered because he didn't fully trust him.
Thanks for that Captain Hindsight … I don't think it's always exactly predictable how well young players will take to the first team.

Thanks for that Captain Hindsight … I don't think it's always exactly predictable how well young players will take to the first team.
Whilst that's true, it's not like Stevens hadn't played - and impressed - in first team games before last season. Also, I'm not sure it's hindsight to echo what many fans were calling for at the time, for an out-of-form Eastwood to be dropped in favour of a player who looked impressive in his previous appearances.

Back
Top Bottom