Jack Payne - RECALLED

A couple of thoughts:

- it's not out the blue. The minute he was put into a wide position was when Pep knew. He was trying out different players centrally.
- I'm not actually too upset. As I have mentioned before, Payne only works in a very specific set up: as AMC playing as a second striker. While he's very good there, it has a big impact on the rest of the team. If he's not at his best, or is marked out the game, it hamstrings the team.

Excellent player that he is, he always caused tactical headaches to fit into the team.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Payne go to Charlton as a replacement. I think Charlton was his local team as a kid

I'd be surprised as Karl Robinson basically said the owner turned down an offer by Sheffield United for cash + Samir Carruthers and instead opting for a higher cash figure. They couldn't even put 7 subs on the bench for their last game.

The owner appears to basically be trying to asset strip what he can with Konsa (I think that is the name), a talented young player, expected to go. He won't spend from what I've read. This is in advance of a possible takeover so whether that will go through soon enough (before the end of Jan even) is open to debate.

Now Jack has gone important we get Joe Rothwell Rob Hall and maybe Mowatt on extended contract / perm deals. If Mowatt can play like he did on Saturday consistently then he is one of the best midfielders in this league.

Tom Barclay (Sun football journo) stating loan to Blackburn is likely

Tom Barclay (Sun football journo) stating loan to Blackburn is likely
If that were the case then surely he wouldn't be guarenteed to start with Bradley Dack who is there no.10 position and has 11 goals this season. Unless they are readying to lose him?

I see Huddersfield have signed Alex Pritchard described as an attacking midfielder for 12m (rumoured) pushing Jack further down the pecking order. Could/should we try and sign permanently?
Jack Payne going to Blackburn on load apparently

Once Pep decided to play with 2 up front, Payne became more of a problem for him unless he elected to play a diamond midfield with Payne in behind the strikers. I suspect that Payne himself would also have become a bit disenchanted as wide midfield does not suit him. Better then that he goes back and joins another club who can play him in a position that uses his skills properly.

Maybe we should just stick to our own players.
Need a new No 10. Hmmm I wonder.....................................I know MAGUIRE.

Bit disappointing but he is not our player, these loans are only transfer window to transfer window in reality and Huddersfield were always going to be looking for a better deal for him.

As has been said he doesn’t fit 4-4-2 that well, so it’s not the loss it would of been a few months ago, we have Brannigan to replace him as well, but it’s always nice to have players with ability to select and Payne undoubtedly did.

Mowett must of had one hell of a great game in Saturday to be considered as a replacement, he has been poor up until then but with Ledson looking like he might go as well he should get more chances in the middle of the pitch, he certainly isn’t a wide player.

Well we’re on the up relatively, considering we haven’t been relegated for over a decade and have had two promotions and three Wembley appearances in that time.

Careful what you wish for is what I’d say!

Right now we are going nowhere. That may change, but right now.............

This is what really annoys me about football - Blackburn have debts of 120m yet they can still pay massive wages and bid for players.

Realistically the season is pretty much over, yes there’s the Checkatrade thingy, but for me that holds very little interest apart from generating some much neede revenue should we progress.

It’s now all about building for next season. If we can make one or two more permanent signings in the window that will strengthen us for the 2018/19 season, then great let’s do it.

We just need to make sure we’ve enough in the squad to avoid being dragged into any silly end of season relegation scrap, if we feel we’re a bit short, or other players leave then look at another loan player (such as Maguire) otherwise go as we are.

It’s all about building for next season now.

My concern is what this does to the confidence of the players?! Okay, confidence isn't "sky high" atm, however, losing one of the key players may rattle a few and they psychologically already write off the season. On the other hand it may go the opposite way and force them to step up and galvanise the team.

If we are serious about pushing for the play-offs, in my opinion we will need a character to give the team a lift. I am sure the three "young" signings will come good, however, sometimes you need someone with a bit of experience, arogance and fight to steer the younger players. The likes of Maguire, Beano, Mooney, Windass, Jemson on their day could give the team a lift (although could also be selfish on their day...). We are missing this! Thomas has experience but isnt this type of character.

At the start of the season, we had him playing behind Wes, and no pace on the flanks. The wingers we played certainly never ran behind the wingbacks, they were always cuutting inside. This made Jack our only real creative outlet, and he was on fire with assists. But once teams worked that out and marked him out the game, we had no Plan B.

This is why we needed people like Napa or Buckley sooner, not congesting the centre of the pitch but pulling defenders out of Jack's way and giving him more space.

I know there are a few saying we won't miss Jack, as he hadn't really been effective in the last couple of months. Mowatt is certainly starting to show promise in centre mid, and Brannagan seems to be a talented #10.

But unless we change the system and get players out wide more often, we'll still just have everyone stuck in the middle of the pitch, unable to find any space to create chances.

Right now we are going nowhere. That may change, but right now.............

Not sure you are ever going nowhere in football...

Right now I would say we are well on our way to securing League 1 football for another season after a turbulent summer, whilst rebuilding a young squad.

Maybe not appealing for Jack Payne compared to Blackburn, but 'going nowhere' doesn't really make sense. I'm sure Cameron Brannagan and Rob Dickie don't think we are 'going nowhere'.

It's just a pretty stupid thing to say really, looking for attention. And you you got it, nice one.

Back
Top Bottom