Jack Payne - RECALLED

Bad attitude away from the ground and a poor trainer. Fell out with the manager as well on more than one occasion.

Good that this has happened reasonably early in the window. Still have two weeks to get a replacement (if we need it - as others have said, as great as he was individually, he didn't really fit into the team by the end). One thing that is a bit disappointing is that given that the loan was for a year and Huddersfield have signed another attacking midfielder recently, I suspect the push for a move back might have come from Jack himself. No way of knowing of course, and perhaps Huddersfield do just have a move lined up for him.

Either way, he was a superb little player, remember after seeing him at Oldham on opening day and thinking he was the best player I'd personally seen at League 1 level, and he didn't come with a BBB attitude (@ dan crowley). Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Jack has not been great in recent weeks. Whilst I have enjoyed watching him most of the time,
he has been guilty of giving up possession far too easily and running down too many blind alleys.

He must have a move lined up for him to be recalled by Huddersfield I would think.

We move on. Hope we keep Mowatt for the remainder of the season though.Class player
on Saturday’s showing.

This, really.

I much preferred our set up on Saturday. Instead of trying to shoehorn Payne into the team, I'd rather see Napa given a shot on the left before Robbie Hall comes back.

If I’m honest I didn’t rate him as much as some do on here, got knocked off the ball too easily and passing was starting to become woeful

Bit of a weird one this. He was clearly the best technical footballer in the squad. We were set up to play around him in the early part of the season, and he put in some brilliant performances.

Since we have switched to 4-4-2 however, he has been wasted out wide. Still clearly a very good footballer, but not able to impact the game in the same way. In the long run this may not impact the team as much as people fear.

From Huddersfield’s point of view, surely they are looking to sell?! Why would they loan him out to another league one team, same standard and he can’t play anymore games than he has here (34 already I saw somewhere). We play some decent stuff to boot. Don’t think a Championship side could guarantee him games and would surely be a waste of half a season.

On his day a brilliant player but if wasn't his day could be utterly anonymous.

Playing in a 4-4-2, he didn't really fit naturally so hopefully we can replace him with another wide player (unless Pep is going to use Napa more instead). This may free up Rob Hall more within the team should he get back from injury.

I thought I would be bothered by this but I'm a bit meh about it tbh and not bothered. The reason I think is it possibly opens the tactical options up. Now to re-sign Chris Maguire. :)

Was with you, didn't fit naturally ...replace with wide player.... right up to the Maguire bit: Mags was never really was a natural fit either - makes for an interesting conundrum: team positional fluidity vs an awkward fitting individuals x-factor...

Best of luck to him though - hopefully he won't be lining up against us this season ?

Bad attitude away from the ground and a poor trainer. Fell out with the manager as well on more than one occasion.

The backlash begins!

Was always pretty likely he was going to be off in my view either to be loaned to a Championship club or signed for another club. Good luck to the guy - he is obviously very gifted for this level and never shirked a challenge or stopped running. Should have a decent career in the Championship you’d imagine.

Was with you, didn't fit naturally ...replace with wide player.... right up to the Maguire bit: Mags was never really was a natural fit either - makes for an interesting conundrum: team positional fluidity vs an awkward fitting individuals x-factor...

Best of luck to him though - hopefully he won't be lining up against us this season ?

I was teasing really with the Mags comment, hence the smiley afterwards.

That said I welcome him back should we re-sign him.

Was great to watch him play on his day. But once teams worked out to put a man on him and bully him a bit he has become more peripheral in games. Think he got to 10 assists in October and ended with 12 (if I recall a couple of different things I read correctly).

Fantastic player at this level, but we were definitely guilty of trying to play through him too much, which made us very predictable.

It’s going to be interesting to see how well the new signings settle in, and whether or not we make any further signings, but I don’t think Payne leaving is as disastrous as most predicted it would be a month or so ago.

Back
Top Bottom