Chairman Grant Ferguson Interview

He certainly comes across far more genuine than his management team of Tim & Adam.

I really think he needs to make it a priority that he spends more time in the UK should OUFC want to be more successful.

Sounded like a man who lives in Malaysia and is chairman of a club across the other side of the world. "I haven't heard" was said a lot - is that supposed to encourage us?

But
Sounded like a man who lives in Malaysia and is chairman of a club across the other side of the world. "I haven't heard" was said a lot - is that supposed to encourage us?
I was surprised to read your comment, WE, because that's not at all the impression I got from the interview. So I listened to it again, and I don't think there's much support for your view. I know where he lives, but he could just as easily have been living in Kidlington (or Tackley) and said as often "they tell me..." or "I've never been told" (I didn't catch one example of "I haven't heard" although I realize that these are just synonyms). For example, the planning team keeps him informed of the timeline, and what's he supposed to say instead of "I've heard reports that" some people aren't happy with the communication? He's not going to say that he's been reading this forum and sees on here that people are upset about the degree of communication. He also quite clearly said "I've never been told that we're maxed out [on money for new players]" but he's talking about hearing from the people with the money--the owners.

So it seems to me that you're allowing your knowledge of where he lives influence what you think he said. Maybe a second listen might be in order?

The timing here is convenient.

Call me a cynic, but this sounds a lot like an interview that can be referred back to at the fans forum in lieu of giving more in-depth answers:

‘As I said to Jerome…’

‘I’ve nothing to add to what I said…’

‘I’ve covered this elsewhere…’

The comment about over-communication was interesting though.

I thought he came across well and he did sound concerned how fans are feeling disconnected.
Also liked that he contradicted Tim Williams.

Also sounds like he has put it onto Des now in regards to say he has got what he has until the end of the season.
Admits that the club have performed better than expected this season but wants better performances first and foremost, almost over results at this point. The club set out 3 transfer windows to really change the squad, what he wasn’t clear on was whether we have had 2 of those or just 1 due to the change in manager.

Overall a good interview and shows that if the club did that, even just once a month would improve the feel around the place.

Did Ferguson say anything that Williams hasn't said? With the exception of "I don't think we're over communication but I don't think we're under communicating either" then the messages coming from the club are the same.

Last edited:
Messages that I got from that interview.
Tim Williams needs to update his CV.
Des is happy with Chris Hackett
The club will always have the right to play at the new stadium but, BUT, will have some financial debt servicing to sort!

I'm going to listen again, sober and after the weekend and make sure I heard what I heard. A transcript would be good. As for the forum, more questions are already in mind.

He came across well. But then, in my opinion, he has never been the issue (bar hanging on to Robinson for too long).

Wow Grant Ferguson is alive.

Whilst I enjoyed listening to the interview, and questions Jerome asked. I find it extraordinary hard to believe how a manager can be happy with the current staff he has. It’s plainly obvious that more staff is needed!

He’s hopeful of a response in the summer for the new stadium. I think that’s a tad optimistic, as it may be around September. If earlier great!

Anyway I prefer listening to Grant Ferguson over Tim Williams.

Call me a cynic, but this sounds a lot like an interview that can be referred back to at the fans forum in lieu of giving more in-depth answers:

‘As I said to Jerome…’

‘I’ve nothing to add to what I said…’

‘I’ve covered this elsewhere…’
Don’t be silly. He’s merely decided to give an interview to the local media less than a week before a potentially difficult open forum - having previously only given one interview in the last year or so - because he’s such a decent fella.

Well, I suppose this is as close as we will get!

28/02/2024

It takes no more than a brief look at the forum to realise that there are many, many questions relating to the stadium development. All of them pose major queries over finance, ownership, cost etc. etc. Far more questions than could be answered, properly, in the limited timescale of a 1 1/2 hour Fans Forum. Perhaps a better structure in which to approach the forum would be following a comprehensive response from the Board and CEO detailing the points that have already arisen. This would allow everyone to see if the answers to their questions had been answered and then pose follow up questions at the forum proper.

Did Ferguson say anything that Williams hasn't said? With the excepting of "I don't think we're over communication but I don't think we're under communicating either" then the messages coming from the club are the same.
Tim Williams thinks the club is over communicating, Grant Ferguson does not, so no, it's not

Tim Williams thinks the club is over communicating, Grant Ferguson does not, so no, it's not

With the exception of "I don't think we're over communication but I don't think we're under communicating either" then the messages coming from the club are the same.

I recognised that exception. But in every other aspect the messages coming out from the club are the same.

I feel GF is more in touch with the feelings of the fans than TW or AB are which is ironic given that he lives out of the country and the other 2 on the ground so to speak.
I would hope that serious questions will be asked of TW and AB from Ferguson after the forum about why the fans are so unhappy with the pair of them.

Personally, I believe that there is a vast difference between what GF is communicating and what comes out of Williams. The underlying message from that interview was one of miscommunication not over or under.

Back
Top Bottom