General George Thorne

To be fair I’m with Common Villager in this, there is no doubt Thorne is a class act BUT at this moment in time he does need to trim up and prove his fitness, that is the bottom line, let’s hope he steps up and fires us into the Championship

If Thorne never gets any game time how is he ever going to get match fit?

He could do with just getting fit first, never mind match fit. He’ll take 5-10 games to get match fit and by that time the season will virtually be over.

Isnt this the problem at the moment though? We dont have the biggest squad in terms of experienced first team players to start with. Then, on top of that, how many ‘good players’ do we have in the squad who just arent ready to play in the first team or cant be relied upon to play two games in a week?

Thorne - not ready to start a game yet. Playing for free while he gets there.
Kelly - Clearly wasnt up to speed fitnesswise. Now out again
Taylor - cant be relied upon to be fit for every game
Hanson - another who seems to breakdown regularly
Mousinho - game time has to be managed
Mackie - as above
Agyei - Not considered ready yet.
Holland - Being thrown in to the deep end with no experience. Will have to play the vast majority of our games with little cover in his position. How he will cope with that remains to be seen.

All this without the biggest squad and after selling two players who wouldve contributed significantly. ( Admittedly Baptiste is another with fitness issues) I know a lot of other squads will be having the same trials and tribulations but I would hazard a guess that the clubs really going for it will have organised better cover than we seem to have.

Isnt this the problem at the moment though? We dont have the biggest squad in terms of experienced first team players to start with. Then, on top of that, how many ‘good players’ do we have in the squad who just arent ready to play in the first team or cant be relied upon to play two games in a week?

Thorne - not ready to start a game yet. Playing for free while he gets there.
Kelly - Clearly wasnt up to speed fitnesswise. Now out again
Taylor - cant be relied upon to be fit for every game
Hanson - another who seems to breakdown regularly
Mousinho - game time has to be managed
Mackie - as above
Agyei - Not considered ready yet.
Holland - Being thrown in to the deep end with no experience. Will have to play the vast majority of our games with little cover in his position. How he will cope with that remains to be seen.

All this without the biggest squad and after selling two players who wouldve contributed significantly. ( Admittedly Baptiste is another with fitness issues) I know a lot of other squads will be having the same trials and tribulations but I would hazard a guess that the clubs really going for it will have organised better cover than we seem to have.

We know Robinson has a liking to an injured player.

And not fit enough to play.

His injury was a shoulder dislocation if you recall.

Doesn’t stop him undertaking all cardio, eh..?

Appreciate he may not be match fit for 90 yet, but I’ll trust the word of the club’s sports science / medical department as to when he is.

His injury was a shoulder dislocation if you recall.

Doesn’t stop him undertaking all cardio, eh..?

Appreciate he may not be match fit for 90 yet, but I’ll trust the word of the club’s sports science / medical department as to when he is.

Well, he didn’t look too mobile in the short time he played against Newcastle, and the medical team didn’t make a great decision re; Kelly, but I hear what you’re saying.

Last edited:
Did everyone see a different game against Newcastle to me?! From reading on here you’d think Jabba the Hutt plonked himself down on the centre circle!

Just spent the time telling/pointing to others where to go whilst not focusing on his own tasks. And lumbered around the pitch.

Not saying he’s not a good player, just saying he’s not fit at the moment. Bringing him on with 10-15mins slowing increasing his time will see him slowly getting match fit.

Just spent the time telling/pointing to others where to go whilst not focusing on his own tasks. And lumbered around the pitch.

Not saying he’s not a good player, just saying he’s not fit at the moment. Bringing him on with 10-15mins slowing increasing his time will see him slowly getting match fit.
What we could do with, in an ideal world, is another body in midfield that is match fit and ready to go NOW and also, while we’re at it, another left winger to share the workload with the inexperienced Holland.

oh wait..

Unless he’s genuinely fit he shouldn’t be getting proper time on the pitch. Just because he shares an agent with the manager and has been reduced to playing for free in order to keep himself as a professional footballer, shouldn’t mean the team has to accommodate him unless he’s truly ready to play some decent minutes. If he is or if he builds up to being, no problem at all. If he isn’t, he will need to keep putting in the miles on the training ground until he can compete at the appropriate level. The team shouldn’t be weakened in any way what so ever out of sentiment.

As for the “I will trust the medical professionals” brigade, not everything is as black and white as you assume it is. There are plenty of shades of grey.

"Just because he shares the same agent as the manager"

???

At least try and hide your contempt for the manager once in a while!!! George Thorne wasn't exactly shoehorned into the side when we were paying him, yet here we are without Kelly, Gorrin, Brannagan still getting up to speed, Forde not yet match fit, and the ONLY reason we could possibly play him is because they have the same agent???

"Just because he shares the same agent as the manager"

???

At least try and hide your contempt for the manager once in a while!!! George Thorne wasn't exactly shoehorned into the side when we were paying him, yet here we are without Kelly, Gorrin, Brannagan still getting up to speed, Forde not yet match fit, and the ONLY reason we could possibly play him is because they have the same agent???

No, because we haven’t got enough fit players.

Forde’s fitter than Thorne, but even he’ll be ring rusty and wary.

I don’t buy this idea that it will take players 10-15 games to get match fit, and they have to start with appearances of 10 minutes! Yeah don’t rush players back straight from injury to play 90 minutes straight game after game, but if you’ve trained fully for a few weeks (which involves long runs, shuttle runs, small sided games, and 11 a side training games, don’t forget) then they are pretty fit, they just need say a 30 min sub match appearance to start, then maybe start them and bring them off after 60-70, then they should be able to do 90, just about (with weeks of training inbetween each of these appearances)

As for Thorne, as he says in the OM today he’s been fit for weeks and been training hard, he says he’s as fit as he can be, plus didn’t he play a behind-closed-doors friendly recently?... and the sub appearance against Newcastle... I’m sure, fitness wise, he could start today and then play 60-75 mins.

I don’t buy this idea that it will take players 10-15 games to get match fit, and they have to start with appearances of 10 minutes! Yeah don’t rush players back straight from injury to play 90 minutes straight game after game, but if you’ve trained fully for a few weeks (which involves long runs, shuttle runs, small sided games, and 11 a side training games, don’t forget) then they are pretty fit, they just need say a 30 min sub match appearance to start, then maybe start them and bring them off after 60-70, then they should be able to do 90, just about (with weeks of training inbetween each of these appearances)

As for Thorne, as he says in the OM today he’s been fit for weeks and been training hard, he says he’s as fit as he can be, plus didn’t he play a behind-closed-doors friendly recently?... and the sub appearance against Newcastle... I’m sure, fitness wise, he could start today and then play 60-75 mins.

Not a chance unless he’s come on leaps and bounds since Newcastle game.

Match fitness is completely different to training fitness, and I think the stresses/strains both mentally and physically on the muscles are different between the two. Also depends how long the player has been out injured and obviously the type of injury.

I, just don’t think he’s ready yet to play a significant amount of time on the pitch, but we might be forced to.

Today though, I would put Mousinho in the holding central midfield role, with Moore coming in Mousinho’s position.

It’s scary to see us down to the bare bones. Don’t we have any promising youth players to step up? Or are they all on the bench for amateur teams? Thorne is the size of a cow and doesn’t look ready.

It’s scary to see us down to the bare bones. Don’t we have any promising youth players to step up? Or are they all on the bench for amateur teams? Thorne is the size of a cow and doesn’t look ready.
He looks the same to me as when he played against West Ham. He is a big lad and that is something we could do with at times.
Now I’m not sure how long he would have lasted against the Irons but we are now down to the bare bones as you say. I would play him and see how it goes I would also play Mourinho from the start, if it doesn’t work bring on Moore and move the Moose forward

Back
Top Bottom