General George Thorne

You don’t know much about Thorne then

Bazzer, it doesn't take an awful lot to know that he was once a very good/promising player.

It also doesn't take a lot to know he's made less than ten appearances in the last four seasons.

When he came on against Newcastle he looked slow and unfit. Therefore, if he's going to play in midfield he has to play in the deeper role in the middle of the three, in my opinion.

Fortunately we have Gorrin and Kelly who are both fitter and more mobile, and therefore ahead of Thorne in selection.

I still think Thorne will have a role to play this season, but as I said, I think that will be as backup/cover.

• Wow
Reactions: Ian
Agreed. They have gone for it right Scotchers?! :cool:

Do you think it's a bad thing that we've got a player of Thorne's quality playing for nothing?

What does that say about our chances of keeping other loanees when an experienced professional speaks so highly of how he has been looked after by the club?

It's already been mentioned that we'll have a good chance of keeping Woodburn for another season, and Marcus Browne is much happier since his return. Despite all the negativity being spewed out on here, the club is in a very good place to attract and keep players and that can only be a good thing.

Do you think it's a bad thing that we've got a player of Thorne's quality playing for nothing?

What does that say about our chances of keeping other loanees when an experienced professional speaks so highly of how he has been looked after by the club?

It's already been mentioned that we'll have a good chance of keeping Woodburn for another season, and Marcus Browne is much happier since his return. Despite all the negativity being spewed out on here, the club is in a very good place to attract and keep players and that can only be a good thing.
Stop talking sense please, it's hard to process.

Bazzer, it doesn't take an awful lot to know that he was once a very good/promising player.

It also doesn't take a lot to know he's made less than ten appearances in the last four seasons.

When he came on against Newcastle he looked slow and unfit. Therefore, if he's going to play in midfield he has to play in the deeper role in the middle of the three, in my opinion.

Fortunately we have Gorrin and Kelly who are both fitter and more mobile, and therefore ahead of Thorne in selection.

I still think Thorne will have a role to play this season, but as I said, I think that will be as backup/cover.
Even with his lack of match day fitness he is still probably the best midfielder in L1, I would start him this evening and give Brannagan a rest and if need be change at half time or depending on whether he could carry on.

Even with his lack of match day fitness he is still probably the best midfielder in L1, I would start him this evening and give Brannagan a rest and if need be change at half time or depending on whether he could carry on.

Because he was good five seasons ago?

By that logic Jamie Mackie is the best striker in the league as well then.

Did you watch the West Ham game? Admittedly a small sample size, but he showed he certainly has got ability.

I think people are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

He's undoubtedly a very talented footballer. Had he not suffered the injuries he has, he would almost certainly be in the Premier League now. He started well against West Ham in the deeper midfield role, but ultimately as a team we looked better when Sykes came on.

Against Newcastle, five minutes after coming on as a late substitute, he looked knackered and their players glided past him on a number of occasions.

My first response in this thgread was to a poster who suggested he should play in a more advanced midfield role. I said I don't think he's currently mobile or fit enough to play in that position, which I stand by. IF he is going to start I think it has to be in the deeper midfield role, which I think is unlikely given that both Gorrin and Kelly also play that role.

I think people are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

He's undoubtedly a very talented footballer. Had he not suffered the injuries he has, he would almost certainly be in the Premier League now. He started well against West Ham in the deeper midfield role, but ultimately as a team we looked better when Sykes came on.

Against Newcastle, five minutes after coming on as a late substitute, he looked knackered and their players glided past him on a number of occasions.

My first response in this thgread was to a poster who suggested he should play in a more advanced midfield role. I said I don't think he's currently mobile or fit enough to play in that position, which I stand by. IF he is going to start I think it has to be in the deeper midfield role, which I think is unlikely given that both Gorrin and Kelly also play that role.

Right. But the point is, he potentially has more ability than Gorrin and Kelly put together. Gorrin is a lot more mobile, sure, and more of a tackler, but with the way we naturally dominate possession with our passing game, if we’re at home to a team in the bottom half of the table, I’d like to see Thorne given a start in that ‘quarterback’ role, see what he can do.

I don't think he's mobile or fit enough yet to play any position other than the 'quarterback' role, i.e. deep lying midfielder, spraying a few passes around.
So on Saturday Gorrin and Kelly are out.
Thorne is likely to start?
If not then Hanson?

Looks like Kelly's injury was a pinched nerve so is in with a shout on Saturday - according KR in the Ox Mail anyway

I feel George Thorne has more presence on the field due to his taller frame which could come in handy in the Sunderland match which will be much more of a battle than a technical game

Thorne showed us in that brief spell against West ham hes probably best midfielder in our team when fit. Another sloppy game from Gorrin tuesday 2 games off might do him well.

Back
Top Bottom