General George Thorne

Yes, good luck to him. Hopefully he can get over his injury issues but sadly I doubt it.

I suspect he'll go on trial at a few clubs and maybe sign a couple of short term contracts over the next season and then retire.

I hope I'm wrong and wish him all the best.

Wonder if we would have given him a chance if not for the wage cap coming in. Will be interesting to see where he ends up

Shame about the squad size limit, right decision when we've got Hanson as DM cover.

Wonder if we would have given him a chance if not for the wage cap coming in. Will be interesting to see where he ends up

Wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at Burton.
Jake Buxton will know all about him from their time together at Derby.

I suspect he'll go on trial at a few clubs and maybe sign a couple of short term contracts over the next season and then retire.

I hope I'm wrong and wish him all the best.
There were two opinions on him last summer: a medical one, and a coaching one. There were concerns expressed by extremely qualified people that his body has simply broken down, and that years of being constantly injured and a lack of activity and general fitness had taken a toll. Unfortunately what we indeed saw was a man who kept picking up different injuries, and who couldn’t train hard enough over a three month break to get anywhere near fitness.

I feel for the guy - what’s happened to him has been cruel and beyond unlucky. I merely hope that he doesn’t do himself worse and lasting damage by trying one short term deal too many. He’s a young man and has a lot of life in him that goes beyond a football pitch.

Best of luck, George.

Good player with a knackered body.

A desperate shame to see him go. If he didn’t have injury concerns, there’s no chance we would have had him here anyway.

Wish him well in whatever he does next.

Good luck to the lad. A move which suits all parties.

In terms of competitive minutes played in relation to financial outlay (wage, transfer fee, etc.), possibly the worst signing ever for the club?

Shame. Clearly a very talented player, and would’ve been a great player to have in the squad at this level, but his body obviously isn’t up to the job.

Good luck wherever you end up George

Good luck to the lad. A move which suits all parties.

In terms of competitive minutes played in relation to financial outlay (wage, transfer fee, etc.), possibly the worst signing ever for the club?

Well he was a cut price loan then a free transfer signing who played for next to nothing.

I'd suggest at least the following would be worse in that sense
Jon Meades - rejected a contract elsewhere to sign for us, so assume decent wage. Season One - Zero appearances, Season Two - 10 appearances.
Ivo Pekalski - Zero appearances and transfer fee paid, released by mutual consent 5 months early.

Last edited:
Just got really unlucky with that shoulder dislocation - isn't a wear and tear injury you're likely to get if injury prone, just one of those things that comes down to sheer luck.

Again best of luck that he gets at least one more decent run before he has to hang up the boots.

Back
Top Bottom