Gavin Whyte

Ah well he’s off to Hull then if they are in the hunt
He chose Hull in January and didn't get to play regularly. He seemed to enjoy his time at Oxford and would be pretty much be guaranteed a regular first team spot.

If we are going to sign him, I'd like us to use some of the money from the Rob Atkinson transfer to sign him on a permanent basis.

He chose Hull in January and didn't get to play regularly. He seemed to enjoy his time at Oxford and would be pretty much be guaranteed a regular first team spot.

If we are going to sign him, I'd like us to use some of the money from the Rob Atkinson transfer to sign him on a permanent basis.
But would he want L1 wages and not a guarantee of promotion or would he fancy hight wages play in the championship as you say occasionally but is in the shop window for another Championship side.

But would he want L1 wages and not a guarantee of promotion or would he fancy hight wages play in the championship as you say occasionally but is in the shop window for another Championship side.
Probably not, but it felt like he didn't want to leave in the first place. If we did try to sign him, he would have to be offered a contract similar to that of Matty Taylor and Cameron Brannagan.

Probably not, but it felt like he didn't want to leave in the first place. If we did try to sign him, he would have to be offered a contract similar to that of Matty Taylor and Cameron Brannagan.
True but i also believe if he does sign someone will go

Big season for both him and Mark Sykes. Both have international aspirations.
Both will need to been playing regularly and on form.

A
Big season for both him and Mark Sykes. Both have international aspirations.
Both will need to been playing regularly and in form.
But Gavin has opted for the Irish Republic and the difference between the North and South of Riley is the south has a lot more people to choose from.

I get the impression that Whyte would be happier on lower wage with regular gametime given he didn't necessarily want to leave in the first place. Unfortunately at the time we were not doing so hot on finances so we cashed in. If we can guarantee him regular first team football on strong wages, and Hull only offer him a squad role on a little higher (they won't be throwing wage at him given they have Wilks as first choice) I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses us. It's a different scenario to Atkinson in that Hull won't be offering significantly more wage than we can. As Nadi says, he needs to be playing regularly if he wants to become a starter internationally, he's at a pretty crucial point in his career and this next move has to be correct. He certainly played better, and more often at OUFC than he did at Hull.

A

But Gavin has opted for the Irish Republic and the difference between the North and South of Riley is the south has a lot more people to choose from.
Mark Sykes has opted for the south. Unfortunately overlooked a bit because of earlier season form.
Gavin Whyte was on the bench in a 1:0 Northern Ireland defeat against Ukraine recently.

I get the impression that Whyte would be happier on lower wage with regular gametime given he didn't necessarily want to leave in the first place. Unfortunately at the time we were not doing so hot on finances so we cashed in. If we can guarantee him regular first team football on strong wages, and Hull only offer him a squad role on a little higher (they won't be throwing wage at him given they have Wilks as first choice) I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses us. It's a different scenario to Atkinson in that Hull won't be offering significantly more wage than we can. As Nadi says, he needs to be playing regularly if he wants to become a starter internationally, he's at a pretty crucial point in his career and this next move has to be correct. He certainly played better, and more often at OUFC than he did at Hull.
Fare comment but I hope we’re not chasing for weeks, if he wants to come then come and join as soon as possible rather than keep chasing and he goes elsewhere then we’re left with a wage for someone who may not be anywhere near as good as Whyte.

Fare comment but I hope we’re not chasing for weeks, if he wants to come then come and join as soon as possible rather than keep chasing and he goes elsewhere then we’re left with a wage for someone who may not be anywhere near as good as Whyte.
100% agree. He's not at the Euros and Cardiff clearly don't want him, there should be no reason for this to drag on beyond the end of this month.

Back
Top Bottom