Gavin Whyte

100% agree. He's not at the Euros and Cardiff clearly don't want him, there should be no reason for this to drag on beyond the end of this month.
So Gavin Whyte would turn down triple his oxford wages to stay in the championship but Rob Atkinson goes because he can triple his wages in the championship.

Gavin Whyte will come here because he will get game time but Rob Atkinson will go to possibly sit on the bench

so is it our model or just move the Goalposts if it suits.

So Gavin Whyte would turn down triple his oxford wages to stay in the championship but Rob Atkinson goes because he can triple his wages in the championship.

Gavin Whyte will come here because he will get game time but Rob Atkinson will go to possibly sit on the bench

Wishful thinking in some cases!

I like how you ignored/removed the part of my post where I explained why the situations were different to suit your attempt to discredit me. Rob Atkinson is a hot prospect making the move up the leagues. Gavin Whyte already made that move, it didn't work out, now he needs to try and reignite his career. Completely different scenarios. Cardiff have suggested they don't want/need him anymore, and the only teams on offer reportedly are us and Hull. He could sit in the reserves for another year and leave on a free but probably get a worse contract next year with no guarantees, or he could take the jump now when he has two decent clubs who want him and will offer good contracts while he has the chance.

The model was already successful with Whyte. This scenario is more akin to a Lundstram/Brannagan/Ledson/Roofe type - dropping down the leagues/wage brackets to get game time and kick start something. I don't necessarily think we'll get him - I think it's more likely Hull do. But to suggest the two scenarios are identical and should be looked at in the same way is being purposely obstinate.

Atkinson should give it a go at the championship, seems very confident in his own ability.
But will need to prove his worth.
Gavin has giving it a go and done reasonably well at Cardiff, just Harris was not his type of manager.
May find himself in the same position again, after a couple of months at Hull with McCann.
Had a great 12 months here and
Robinson got the best out of him.

I like how you ignored/removed the part of my post where I explained why the situations were different to suit your attempt to discredit me. Rob Atkinson is a hot prospect making the move up the leagues. Gavin Whyte already made that move, it didn't work out, now he needs to try and reignite his career. Completely different scenarios. Cardiff have suggested they don't want/need him anymore, and the only teams on offer reportedly are us and Hull. He could sit in the reserves for another year and leave on a free but probably get a worse contract next year with no guarantees, or he could take the jump now when he has two decent clubs who want him and will offer good contracts while he has the chance.

The model was already successful with Whyte. This scenario is more akin to a Lundstram/Brannagan/Ledson/Roofe type - dropping down the leagues/wage brackets to get game time and kick start something. I don't necessarily think we'll get him - I think it's more likely Hull do. But to suggest the two scenarios are identical and should be looked at in the same way is being purposely obstinate.
i can assure you that i am not trying to discredit you or anyone else

I have a strong opinion re Rob Atkinson which i voiced very early of last season.

i can assure you that i am not trying to discredit you or anyone else

I have a strong opinion re Rob Atkinson which i voiced very early of last season.
He's a cracking player with a potentially big future, that we definitely agree on.

Whyte has got two years left on a Cardiff contract that saw him quadruple his wages when he left here, while his current club paid two million quid for him.

Who thinks we’re breaking the club transfer record, which would only see Cardiff recoup about a quarter of what they paid for him, while he halves his wages?

Whyte has got two years left on a Cardiff contract that saw him quadruple his wages when he left here, while his current club paid two million quid for him.

Who thinks we’re breaking the club transfer record, which would only see Cardiff recoup about a quarter of what they paid for him, while he halves his wages?
This year has felt far too long, thought it had been 3 years already since he left and he was in his final year! Definitely changes my outlook 😂

Looks more likely a loan in that case, and the financial issues being that Cardiff want more wage covered than we can afford.

This year has felt far too long, thought it had been 3 years already since he left and he was in his final year! Definitely changes my outlook 😂

Looks more likely a loan in that case, and the financial issues being that Cardiff want more wage covered than we can afford.
You’d think that if Cardiff can get a chunk of his wages covered, and maybe a loan fee to help claw back some of their outlay, it’s possible. I would love to see him back in any capacity. By the end of his time here he was absolutely on fire.

You’d think that if Cardiff can get a chunk of his wages covered, and maybe a loan fee to help claw back some of their outlay, it’s possible. I would love to see him back in any capacity. By the end of his time here he was absolutely on fire.
And he has a large Willy - the importance of this should not be underestimated.

Oh but he might be fat by now

If I knew Gavin well I’d have given him two good pieces of advice.
”Mate don’t get your willy out, nobody needs to see that“
”Don’t leave OUFC now stay another year or so and get game time and develop”
Actually from what he said at the time he wanted to stay but we needed to sell him.

I would give Rob the same advice. I know the lure of money is hard to resist but playing and developing is better in the long term than losing a year or two to the bench.

Maybe Hull now having a transfer embargo changes things?

I think Hull's relates to a COVID loan not being repaid yet. Whether they can pay this now or not is the question, you'd think with season ticket money, TV money, solidarity payments etc would think they could now pay it off.

Back
Top Bottom