General Forest Green female caretaker manager

Not so sure... given that she's been there for years and, by all accounts done a good job with their academy, then I would think it's quite conceivable that she'll be given a decent run at it
If only we gave Mousinho the same courtesy.

Best of luck to her. Some women are actually pretty knowledgable on the game - Alex Scott, and the Chelsea manager (name slips me) are good examples of that, so it was only going to be a matter of time. As others have said, I hope this isn't just a cheap publicity stunt. I guess we'll see.

Best of luck to her. Some women are actually pretty knowledgable on the game - Alex Scott, and the Chelsea manager (name slips me) are good examples of that, so it was only going to be a matter of time. As others have said, I hope this isn't just a cheap publicity stunt. I guess we'll see.

Alex Scott? The female Jermaine Jenas?

Sadly, I think this is another publicity stunt from FGR and Dale Vince. I would be surprised if they don’t find a permanent (male) manager before the season starts.
Bump.
It was all about publicity. Dale Vince loves being in the news

Emma Hayes is the Chelsea manager - speaks more sense than pretty much any football manager out there.

Bump.
It was all about publicity. Dale Vince loves being in the news

I think that's rubbish. Plenty of academy managers are brought in as a caretaker, there are loads of examples. At no point did FGR say she'd be the manager going forwards, like most clubs you'd think there was a process and she didn't get it. What's wrong with that ? They had over 100 applicants apparently, I'd have been amazed if she came through that and got the job. No one will tell me that of the minimum 99 other applicants there wasn't a more suitable person to try and lead them out of L2 than the current FGR academy manager.

Vince can't win. If he'd have given the caretaker role to someone else he could have been accused of bypassing here because she's a woman. The people who have the problem with this are the worst sort by even bringing gender in to it. Who gives a sh*t what sex she is, she got it on a temporary basis, she didn't get it full time and wasn't considered good enough - fine, no problem with that. Happened thousands of times before and will happen thousands of times again.

A non story to most of us but a massive story to those who want to jump on the equality bandwagon.

I think that's rubbish. Plenty of academy managers are brought in as a caretaker, there are loads of examples. At no point did FGR say she'd be the manager going forwards, like most clubs you'd think there was a process and she didn't get it. What's wrong with that ? They had over 100 applicants apparently, I'd have been amazed if she came through that and got the job. No one will tell me that of the minimum 99 other applicants there wasn't a more suitable person to try and lead them out of L2 than the current FGR academy manager.

Vince can't win. If he'd have given the caretaker role to someone else he could have been accused of bypassing here because she's a woman. The people who have the problem with this are the worst sort by even bringing gender in to it. Who gives a sh*t what sex she is, she got it on a temporary basis, she didn't get it full time and wasn't considered good enough - fine, no problem with that. Happened thousands of times before and will happen thousands of times again.

A non story to most of us but a massive story to those who want to jump on the equality bandwagon.
I’m not sure that many clubs bother appointing an interim manager for 14 days?

I’m not sure that many clubs bother appointing an interim manager for 14 days?

She was a caretaker manager until a decision was made regarding a permanent appointment. That's all she was. They had a friendly or two in that period and understandably wanted someone to steer the ship in that period. With the season approaching a permanent appointment was always going to be made pretty quickly.

On this basis, Lewis and Fazackerley should have got the permanent Oxford job just because they oversaw things on an interim basis while a managerial process was taking place. The furore surrounding this is totally ridiculous and indicative of the delicate world we are in.

Just to add, Lewis had the interim job (before Waddock) for about 3 months ! If she warranted it after 14 days then Lewis should have been handed a 10 year contract for 3 months of it !!! Faz was about 6 weeks in the role too !!!

My opinion is nothing to do with ‘jumping on the equality bandwagon’. Vince made a big thing of the appointment because it suited his desire for publicity. You’re right to say that she didn’t get the job full time because she wasn’t the best candidate. I have no argument with that

She was a caretaker manager until a decision was made regarding a permanent appointment. That's all she was. They had a friendly or two in that period and understandably wanted someone to steer the ship in that period. With the season approaching a permanent appointment was always going to be made pretty quickly.

On this basis, Lewis and Fazackerley should have got the permanent Oxford job just because they oversaw things on an interim basis while a managerial process was taking place. The furore surrounding this is totally ridiculous and indicative of the delicate world we are in.
I don’t think anyone is saying that she should have got the job, I don’t know why you’re focusing on that. The point is most clubs wouldn’t make a big song and dance about asking an academy manager to oversee things for literally two weeks while a full time manager was found. The chairman’s comments about how this will help women in the game etc have clearly been exposed as nothing other than an attempt to get publicity.

My opinion is nothing to do with ‘jumping on the equality bandwagon’. Vince made a big thing of the appointment because it suited his desire for publicity. You’re right to say that she didn’t get the job full time because she wasn’t the best candidate. I have no argument with that

Did he ?

He was no doubt given loads of air time and column inches by an intrigued media but in what way did he court it that you know of ? I think you are jumping on a bandwagon by just assuming Vince did this and he did that. He wont be the first football club owner who likes the sound of his own voice but I'm really struggling to see anything he has done that reeks of a publicity stunt.

I don’t think anyone is saying that she should have got the job, I don’t know why you’re focusing on that. The point is most clubs wouldn’t make a big song and dance about asking an academy manager to oversee things for literally two weeks while a full time manager was found. The chairman’s comments about how this will help women in the game etc have clearly been exposed as nothing other than an attempt to get publicity.

Even just an interim appointment is a step in the right direction though, the mould has at least been broken. He might have seen things in those two weeks that he didn't like, she may have been out of her depth or the players weren't happy etc etc. He owns the club, he can change his mind but I can see nothing anywhere where there was a promise - or even a realistic indication - of her getting the job full time. That's the media who had her down for the gig permanently.

Did he ?

He was no doubt given loads of air time and column inches by an intrigued media but in what way did he court it that you know of ? I think you are jumping on a bandwagon by just assuming Vince did this and he did that. He wont be the first football club owner who likes the sound of his own voice but I'm really struggling to see anything he has done that reeks of a publicity stunt.
I seem to be jumping on so many bandwagons I can’t keep up. I live in Stroud and I’m subject to Vince publicity through the local media on a regular basis. I don’t question his motives, in fact he is in my opinion a force for good. (Oh look I’ve jumped on the green bandwagon now). However this doesn’t mean that I can’t criticise his constant desire for media attention.

Sadly, I think this is another publicity stunt from FGR and Dale Vince. I would be surprised if they don’t find a permanent (male) manager before the season starts.
Dale Vince said she's the best person for the job. Which is maybe the case but it's a coincidence the first female manager to be "best" for the job, happens to be at FGR, who of course want to champion these things.

I find it quite strange that I feel like in society we are told gender is a social construct, but also expected to really care about the differences in gender when it comes to things like this.

Best of luck to her, and hope matty fires them in over there.

Back
Top Bottom