League Two Forest Green

It's a bit odd that Barnsley were kicked out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player, but for what at least looks like the same offence FGR just have to replay their game. Or have I missed something?
consistency from the FA isnt a strong point, especially given the (lack of) consistency shown by many of their match officials

The devil is the detail, I guess. It may be the case that the issue is with paperwork at the FA’s end hence why FGR have a reprieve of sorts.

Punishments can be arbitrary in football. We were issued with a five point penalty for playing Eddie Hutchinson when he wasn’t properly registered in fax machine-gate. It could have been 11 points. Who knows what back room discussions are made to make these decisions.

No replay if its a draw at full time, goes to extra time then penalties - seems the "rules" are adjustable/optional as the FA deems fit.

Whoever wins play `Pool 4 days later, then the winners play Notts Forest.

Maybe it was Brizzle Wovers who didn`t file the paperwork correctly letting FGR off the hook. 🤷‍♂️

It's a bit odd that Barnsley were kicked out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player, but for what at least looks like the same offence FGR just have to replay their game. Or have I missed something?
They haven't made public the details of this one yet, but assume must be different to the Barnsley situation (where the player in question was out on loan when the original game was played (and indeed played for the other team on the same day), and was then recalled and played in the replay).

The devil is the detail, I guess. It may be the case that the issue is with paperwork at the FA’s end hence why FGR have a reprieve of sorts.

Punishments can be arbitrary in football. We were issued with a five point penalty for playing Eddie Hutchinson when he wasn’t properly registered in fax machine-gate. It could have been 11 points. Who knows what back room discussions are made to make these decisions.
I think the 11 points was the total points we gained in games he played whilst unregistered, and there were deductions for the league not noticing it sooner when they should have (the teamsheets for a game are submitted, and the league are supposed to check eligability - but in this case they didn't for several weeks, therefore it was partly their fault it wasn't raised for so long).

They haven't made public the details of this one yet, but assume must be different to the Barnsley situation (where the player in question was out on loan when the original game was played (and indeed played for the other team on the same day), and was then recalled and played in the replay).
Yes, you'd think it *must* be different somehow - but given they haven't said who the player was or what the circumstances were it is hard to know. I'd imagine Barnsley supporters will be curious about it - at the least!

It's another of those 'lack of transparency' issues.

A quick delve into the Tykes forum says that a) different rules broken and b) they didn't appeal the punishment (and in fact rejected Horshams offer to replay the game too).

Barnsley used their ineligible player in their cup tie.
FGR’s ineligible player was an unused substitute plus they were the ones to disclose it to the FA, it seems they had the parent club’s permission to play the lad in the game but the FGR Secretary forgot to inform the FA.

Sounds like a pragmatic, balanced decision from the FA for once.

"I feel as though as a football club, we've been disrespected."

Why DO Blackpool have such a high opinion of themselves? Very odd club.
It’s fair though. As a football club I disrespect them.

• Haha
Reactions: MJB
I think the 11 points was the total points we gained in games he played whilst unregistered, and there were deductions for the league not noticing it sooner when they should have (the teamsheets for a game are submitted, and the league are supposed to check eligability - but in this case they didn't for several weeks, therefore it was partly their fault it wasn't raised for so long).
If I’m honest I don’t think Hutchinson directly contributed to 11 points in his entire time with us..

Hasn’t Cotterill got the FGR job now? Kip will be putting money on them to stay up now.

The 72+ podcast spoke with Dale Vince (again) about Deeney. He said that when they signed Deeney, as a player, it was part of the agreement that Deeney would get the manager’s job when it next became available. They didn’t expect it to happen so quickly though, and obviously Deeney wasn’t ready. Vince also said that the outburst against the FGR player and the four-game ban where the final straw.

Edit: now with added link

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom