Matches Fake rivalry (wycombe)

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but how many tickets will Wycombe give us for the game at Adams Park, do we get 2,000?
between 1800 & 2k* in the 'dreams stand' for away fans (behind the goal)

* different figures given by different sources

They have the option to allocate additional away tickets in the section nearest the away end,on the right (as you look out from dreams stand) of around 350-400*

however the last few OUFC visits there have been capped, with only the dreams stand allocated for visiting Oxford fans

A decision made by WWFC , ( Ainsworth alleged to be the instigator) not as they tried to claim, by TVP

The likes of Pompey, Sunderland etc in pre pandemic visits have been allocated the full amount of away tickets, including the extra ones in part of the Main stand

capacity for Adams Park is 10,300

They are more an annoyance than a rival, it’s there desperation for a rivalry that makes them annoying and nothing else though. Compared to the buzz before a game against Swindon it’s nothing, we couldn’t even go to the ones last season and the tension was so much more than this Saturday.

You know a Derby game by that knot you get in your gut, I f*****g hated life after Eastwood made a t**t of himself last season and I was on cloud nine after we gave them a slap at there shithole, it took it being a play off final to get that sort of feeling against Wycombe but that would be the same against Accrington,Plymouth or any other club.

Wycombe came into the league to late to have a real rivalry, every club already had someone else so there fans will never get to experience a proper Derby atmosphere.

For a team we don't care about, we don't half go on about them an awful lot
Yep, also we seem to get bigger home crowds (not inc away fans) compared to our average at the time, so a few more people turning up too see the non derby match than turn up to see other non derby matches!!

Yep, also we seem to get bigger home crowds (not inc away fans) compared to our average at the time, so a few more people turning up too see the non derby match than turn up to see other non derby matches!!
Last season we were in the same division we had more for Lincoln than Wycombe not including away fans.

One against the head.

I’d call them a rival and I’d call it a bit of a derby.

(And I can remember Eric Read, smoke bombs , pitch invasions at Elm Park etc etc. )

Fact is in 2021quite a lot of history is building up between us and the plucky non-leaguers.

Especially after that shockingly spawny victory at Wembley. And the cringeworthy post match media coverage of Tubs Akinfenwa .

Looking for nothing less than a three goal margin of victory tomorrow. And Robinson sparking out Ainsworth in the tunnel.

Don't see Wycombe any differently to Doncaster, just another team to play in League One. Not an ounce of rivalry there for me, but I enjoy the away day with them being close.

Ainsworth is a tw*t though and his style of football is mind numbing, would prefer football to be the winner this time.

One against the head.

I’d call them a rival and I’d call it a bit of a derby.

(And I can remember Eric Read, smoke bombs , pitch invasions at Elm Park etc etc. )

Fact is in 2021quite a lot of history is building up between us and the plucky non-leaguers.

Especially after that shockingly spawny victory at Wembley. And the cringeworthy post match media coverage of Tubs Akinfenwa .

Looking for nothing less than a three goal margin of victory tomorrow. And Robinson sparking out Ainsworth in the tunnel.
But do you really feel that same tension pre match and during the game, as I'm sure you must in any match against the scummers?

I bet you don't.

I'd put Wycombe as a minor temporary rivalry. Swindon are the only major rivalry for me, Reading, Pompey and Bristol Rovers are up there but not on the level of Swindon. Wycombe I have a dislike of purely because of the playoff final and the shithousery and anti football that was so successful against us. If we go up this season that feeling will fade away and they'll go back on "they're local but i don't really care" list with MK and Northampton.

I'd put Wycombe as a minor temporary rivalry. Swindon are the only major rivalry for me, Reading, Pompey and Bristol Rovers are up there but not on the level of Swindon. Wycombe I have a dislike of purely because of the playoff final and the shithousery and anti football that was so successful against us. If we go up this season that feeling will fade away and they'll go back on "they're local but i don't really care" list with MK and Northampton.
I’d have to agree with that I only dislike Wycombe because of that Wembley defeat if we’d have won I wouldn’t care about Wycombe no way do I hate them like i do the a420 scummers

Yes agree. For a while Northampton were rivals of a sort but I never think of them now. I can imagine MK becoming annoying if they adopt a cheating style and beat us a couple of times, but as you say it's a temporary rivalry.

Coming from Thame originally, I know a few Wycombe fans, and they are more excited about the game that most of the Oxford fans I know. It will be an occasion, the games always are, but it's not the first game I look out for on a fixture list. It's a local game, not a rivalry for me. Maybe the younger generation will feel differently, and it will become more of a local derby.

Good read (as usual) from Oxblogger on the game: https://oxblogger.co.uk/2021/09/08/midweek-fixture-oxford-v-wycombe-in-ten-games/

From the October 1995 game: 'Well drilled and motivated; Wycombe picked Oxford apart with two identical set-piece goals leading 3-0 at half-time before eventually cruising to a 4-1 win.'

What do people say about history repeating itself 😬. The next line however I would take:

'The humiliation did, however, act as a wake up call about our intentions for the season. The result sent a chilling reminder to the team that we couldn’t cruise to promotion; we’d have to fight for it.'

Ok, not sure what that has to do with my point?
Was your point not they are rivals due to us having bigger crowds for the games? I simply selected the following home game in the fixture list, against an average opponent.

There are big crowds because they bring best part of 1800 with them, not because any perceived local Derby. I'd also suggest that because they aren't derby matches, it's a more relaxed game for families to attend than a game against Swindon would be.

From the October 1995 game: 'Well drilled and motivated; Wycombe picked Oxford apart with two identical set-piece goals leading 3-0 at half-time before eventually cruising to a 4-1 win.'

What do people say about history repeating itself 😬. The next line however I would take:

'The humiliation did, however, act as a wake up call about our intentions for the season. The result sent a chilling reminder to the team that we couldn’t cruise to promotion; we’d have to fight for it.'
Didn’t we win the return 3-0, swing on the crossbar and go up?

It's a local clash for sure, but not a derby, for the reasons you go on to say. The problem is the word 'derby' has become so undermined by marketeers recently (The Southampton v Bournemouth "New Forest Derby"???? Give me strength...) that it has begun to lose all meaning. It was taken to the extreme in 'The Hundred' this summer when I heard one of the commentators say 'Well for a London Derby, the crowd here for Spirit v Invincibles is not very partisan'... FFS they had invented these teams when down the pub one night, just because you call it a derby it doesnt mean it is one.

I want us to beat Wycombe, I'll be in a bit of a grump Saturday night if it hasn't gone our way, but I'd take us losing 5-0 to them twice this season if we can finish top 2.
This is true of today’s sporting world tomorrow on bt sports they have the London derby…. palace vs Spurs since when has that been a rivalry

This is true of today’s sporting world tomorrow on bt sports they have the London derby…. palace vs Spurs since when has that been a rivalry
Only one derby in London for me, that's Arsenal v Spurs. I know they tried to get some sort of Chelsea v Fulham thing going, but not sure how the fans feel with regards to that fixture. Anyone know who Chelsea regard their main rivals to be? Or do they just hate everyone?

Only one derby in London for me, that's Arsenal v Spurs. I know they tried to get some sort of Chelsea v Fulham thing going, but not sure how the fans feel with regards to that fixture. Anyone know who Chelsea regard their main rivals to be? Or do they just hate everyone?
Chelsea v West Ham is quite big I think. Chelsea aren't fussed about Fulham or QPR as they aren't usually together. West Ham v Millwall is bitter but again they rarely play each other.

Back
Top Bottom