Matches Fake rivalry (wycombe)

I can remember a couple of times in my very early teens , the U's were playing away, along way away- too young to travel on me own to away games, went to the Whitehouse ground to watch City v Wycombe, both times they bought a fair sized travelling support

though, geographically, Slough makes sense .... though isnt there some long running 'beef' between them and Colchester?
something to do with a playoff final maybe?

Wycombe were a well supported team for that level but I don't think they were rivals but could be wrong. I think it would be more like us with Northampton, Wycombe and MK Dons in that it is relatively close so gets a good away following.

Haven't a clue on Slough and Colchester. The only one I can think of for Colchester would Sarfend in the Mockney Derby.

Wycombe were a well supported team for that level but I don't think they were rivals but could be wrong. I think it would be more like us with Northampton, Wycombe and MK Dons in that it is relatively close so gets a good away following.

Haven't a clue on Slough and Colchester. The only one I can think of for Colchester would Sarfend in the Mockney Derby.
Wycombe & Colchester I meant

If you're going to bring your tedious politics into a thread with absolutely nothing to do with that, why shouldn't everyone else do this same?
Well Tommy Robinson is beyond politics in that he’s a convicted criminal as opposed to just someone annoying that you don’t agree with, but yes I know what you’re saying.

To be honest I have a begrudging respect for Luton, their fans are "lively" to say the least, our games against them were pretty mental. Wycombe are obviously a small "family" club so it's not going to be the same.

Just one small family club Vs a slightly smaller family club on Saturday then.

As a Wycombe fan, I don't really understand how you don't consider this a rivalry. Admittedly it is not the most heated or passionate of rivalries, and it doesn't have a hundred years of history or whatever. But you can't deny either that:

1) We are very local
And
2) Our teams have played each other in a lot of significant games since we entered the football league (almost three decades ago now), particularly in recent years

And there is also the major clash of styles at the moment which adds to the contrast!

Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Wycombe fan who lives in Oxford, but (apart from Premier League teams) I knew more Oxford fans than fans of any other team, even before I moved here. So there's always that back-and-forth going on in schools and offices too.

I understand the psychological coping mechanism behind why you guys still look down on us as "plucky non-leaguers" (we were playing in the Isthmian League when you won your famous Milk Cup) and dismiss any thoughts of a rivalry, but to say that we are the equivalent of Stevenage or Northampton is clearly not right. No doubt this post will be greeted with derision, but it is true

As a Wycombe fan, I don't really understand how you don't consider this a rivalry. Admittedly it is not the most heated or passionate of rivalries, and it doesn't have a hundred years of history or whatever. But you can't deny either that:

1) We are very local
And
2) Our teams have played each other in a lot of significant games since we entered the football league (almost three decades ago now), particularly in recent years

And there is also the major clash of styles at the moment which adds to the contrast!

Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Wycombe fan who lives in Oxford, but (apart from Premier League teams) I knew more Oxford fans than fans of any other team, even before I moved here. So there's always that back-and-forth going on in schools and offices too.

I understand the psychological coping mechanism behind why you guys still look down on us as "plucky non-leaguers" (we were playing in the Isthmian League when you won your famous Milk Cup) and dismiss any thoughts of a rivalry, but to say that we are the equivalent of Stevenage or Northampton is clearly not right. No doubt this post will be greeted with derision, but it is true
Well I'm going to 'stick up for' this Wycombe fan, whose points above are valid. I have a question though. Judging by this forum, a few OUFC fans like to deride Wycombe's status while most OUFC fans seem non-plussed by the whole subject and don't bother contributing to the debate. I don't read the WWFC fans' forum or know any WWFC fans myself, so how do they regard OUFC? How many accept there is a genuine rivalry, how many deny the rivalry and how many couldn't care less? If I were a betting man I'd suggest the latter.

1) We are very local
And

Why is it not right?

Those

Stevensge and Northampton were also relatively local teams with non league background where we have played some significant games and they have a contrasting style to us.

And really I could name a half dozen teams like Luton Bristol rovers Barnsley or portsmouth where we have played regular significant games and where’s theres far more excitement and edge .

It’s not derision it’s just you’re not really explaining why it’s special.

I understand the psychological coping mechanism of needing feelings reciprocated but it’s been over 20 years that you’ve been about and it still isn’t registering . 😉

Last edited:

1) We are very local
And

No issue with Wycombe, just indifferent to be honest.

Wanted to get to this one on Saturday (but can’t make it) simply because it is the first time to play you since your promotion and I would enjoy witnessing a win.

But in all honesty, I can’t recall too many enjoyable games against yourselves as I tend to prefer games where we are playing footballing teams, rather than spoiling teams (so you are correct about clash of styles)

But, I do think you have been in the league long enough to shake the “non league” tag.

Coming from Thame originally, I know a few Wycombe fans, and they are more excited about the game that most of the Oxford fans I know. It will be an occasion, the games always are, but it's not the first game I look out for on a fixture list. It's a local game, not a rivalry for me. Maybe the younger generation will feel differently, and it will become more of a local derby.

Good read (as usual) from Oxblogger on the game: https://oxblogger.co.uk/2021/09/08/midweek-fixture-oxford-v-wycombe-in-ten-games/

I think it is very difficult to create new rivalries. Most date back decades to at least the 80s when there would have been a bit of pavement dancing involved, and the old folk like to think they still have it. Modern rivalries, perhaps Swindon-Gillingham, but again that's fight related. Or MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon which is just pettiness.

Wycombe calling us "noisy neighbours" doesn't really make a rivalry.

In my mind, it is unarguably a local derby - geographically the teams are fairly close. The problem is that 'local derby' as a phrase implies a passionate rivalry - which this doesn't really approach. For me, there is some irritation still about the Wembley defeat and the manner of it so a win tomorrow would be welcome. But really, it's just a game about three points.

I think Wycombe fans crave to have a rival.

Bizarrely they created some kind of faux rivalry with Col U a few years back.

Their natural and historic rivals were always Slough Town ( as detailed further back in the thread).

They mean nothing to the vast , vast majority of U’s fans.

I don’t understand why we have this same debate every time we play Wycombe! If you have to constantly ask the question of whether it’s a rivalry then it’s not a rivalry.
A local derby is a game where you get excited about in the weeks leading up to it, the first game you look for when the fixtures come out, a game that no matter where you live in the country you try and get to. Wycombe doesn’t come any of those for me.
The last time I went to a match vs Wycombe was when we beat them and got promoted out of league 2!
We only have 2 rivals, Swindon and Reading. Which one you hate more depends of which side of Oxfordshire you live.

It's slightly above the background noise and it would be nice to win this given the last encounter.

But yeah, it rates as lesser than Bristol Rovers for example, and is some way behind Reading.

1) We are very local

You are local, that is all just like has been said about Northampton, MK Dons etc. That doesn't make a rivalry, you are just close by. Ainsworth talking it up as a 'Derby' or Wycombe fans wanting it to be one doesn't make it one. You are as much a 'Derby' as Gillingham is which is to say it isn't.

I had back and forths with supporters of other teams in offices such as Man Utd, Sunderland, Stockport, Brentford, Southend and Bournemouth. They aren't rivals or the games 'Derbies'. Banter between fans is standard regardless if rivals or not.

Back
Top Bottom