Eales

Please don't be naive. SD was very clearly involved along with Satori for the bid being made, and Charles was to hold a similar role to what he has at Sunderland.

As for tangible assets, you are right. But that hasn't stopped IL, SD, DE, Satori or Tiger bidding for the club. Not one has done so with any real plans to take control of the stadium. Water Eaton would never have happened and at best we have looked towards a more beneficial lease deal that shares income.
Sorry, don't buy that. As for Charles role in the affair, I believe that his activities on here and his public (or sponsored) critique of Eales led to some animosity which may have played a part in the deal collapsing. Charles tends to be his own worst enemy and I never understood his obsession with posting on here, particularly as he had an inane ability to upset so many!

• React
Reactions: MJB
No players care about the club regardless of what they’re being paid. Constable was perhaps one of the last ones. I’d rather be in the Championship or PL with players who don’t care but perform well than L1

• React
Reactions: MJB
Sorry, don't buy that. As for Charles role in the affair, I believe that his activities on here and his public (or sponsored) critique of Eales led to some animosity which may have played a part in the deal collapsing. Charles tends to be his own worst enemy and I never understood his obsession with posting on here, particularly as he had an inane ability to upset so many!

You’re right in wondering what compels certain people to post in anything less than a light-hearted fashion. It’s a football club forum for god’s sake - get a grip people!

You’re right in wondering what compels certain people to post in anything less than a light-hearted fashion. It’s a football club forum for god’s sake - get a grip people!

Your criticism of non light-hearted posts isn't light-hearted enough ;)

. SD has supported the club for a number of years, and could have taken full control had his bid been accepted by either IL or DE. The fact that they weren't shows that maybe the bids were not a true value for the club.[/QUOTE]
True value is subjective.
From memory SD made an offer that was probably right based on the cash they thought was required and based on buying a League 1 club with no ground and an appalling Landlord.
SD has said that the value in getting Sunderland was potentially huge.
Tiger's only way of getting his money back is to get to the promised land of the Championship and if he reads some comments on here that would be pointless anyway ...

Sunderland is a bigger risk, but also a bigger pay off for SD. I do wonder if the Consortium at Sunderland is a little naive in various aspects, but I do not think it will prevent them getting out of L1 this season. If they don't romp it, there is something very wrong there.

We had some great times under the stewardship of Eales, 2 Wembley appearances, a promotion, memorable cup games against Newcastle, Swansea, Brentford etc, beating the Swinedon at the County ground, signing top young players, entertaining football under a very good manager Michael Appleton.

However it wasn’t all plain sailing. A very worrying start under Appleton, a fall out with Kassam, stadium issues, the failed Sartori bid, Pep Clotet, and a long drawn out sale of the club.

So all in all 4 very interesting years in the history of Oxford United.

Surely there’s a book to be written Daryl? Could be an interesting read albeit a limited readership!

Think again..

I think you will find that Donald was going to be a minority shareholder in the Satori takeover, well that’s what Satori has been quoted as saying during an interview when he became a 20% shareholder at Sunderland.

I think you will find that Donald was going to be a minority shareholder in the Satori takeover, well that’s what Satori has been quoted as saying during an interview when he became a 20% shareholder at Sunderland.

Interesting because I (& I expect many others) were under the impression at the time that CM introduced Sartori to SD and then SD introduced Sartori to DE.

Again the impression given at the time was that SD was not involved in the deal, it was very much a ‘solo’ bid by Sartori with CM lurking in the background.

However that doesn’t appear to be the case, it now seems SD was much more involved.

DE needs to write that book;)

Involved,? Yes as in SD introduced Sartori to the club and Eales, and CM was acting as media consultant to Sartori. That much is all in the public domain.

LR, if you have any information to prove otherwise then please enlighten us. Until such time I do not feel any compulsion to "think again"

SD has been a great friend to our club and had spent time and money, also placing his reputation on the line in recommending the club to Sartori and introducing him to Eales. Why Eales then decided to pull the plug at the last minute is still a puzzle.
Well I heard the interview with SD stating his role in that failed takeover, if I knew anything different or more importantly any sensitive info this wouldn’t be the place to put it.

Pretty certain their is still a gap between you and Man City.

True, but, since Mansoor is richer than Abramovich, Kroenke, Levy, The Glazers and FSG combined there is a gap between everyone else :D

Hence the QPR bit of what I was saying where. we look at Accrington but sadly in our current position. we would almost be the championship equivalent not necessarily by gate but factor in other things and we will struggle at present. I see us between about 18th in the championship and 16 in the league we are in. 10 years ago if someone had said Bournemouth would be paying 25 million for players I would’ve spent the next 5 minutes laughing but this shows how much football has changed. I would love to see Oxford punching with the likes of championship clubs every week. Owning our own ground would be a start but decent investment would be needed as well, maybe we have further investment coming in.

QPR have been a mess since Briatore. It not just a case of having money but investing it correctly. Bournemouth have invested within their means and Denim seems shrewd and a fan. Both were/are Billionaires. There is no great rush for us as supporters to get back into the prem. The 4 weeks have been more fun than all of last year. You do need to own the ground. That's down to Kassam though. I'm not having a go at fans when they say £2m per year is being a "Sugar Daddy" its throwing good money after bad. I find it sad for the fanbase. What you need is someone Buy the club and stadia. that's the big thing

Bournemouth have invested within their means and Denim seems shrewd and a fan. Both were/are Billionaires.

According to the latest Premier League finance reports, Denim has made loans to Bournemouth totaling 53 million pounds! They invested within Denim's means but sure as hell not within the means of the club!

Sure they're doing great now - because they've got a good seat on the Premier League gravy train. But they would not have gotten there without a Russian billionaire picking them as his plaything.

(otherwise, I do agree with the majority of your posts on this thread.......)

According to the latest Premier League finance reports, Denim has made loans to Bournemouth totaling 53 million pounds! They invested within Denim's means but sure as hell not within the means of the club!

Sure they're doing great now - because they've got a good seat on the Premier League gravy train. But they would not have gotten there without a Russian billionaire picking them as his plaything.

(otherwise, I do agree with the majority of your posts on this thread.......)
Without him they would probably still be playing us as opposed to the premier league teams. I hope singha invest in us as they would probably get us to top half championship at worst.

FK has no intention of selling the stadium. The stadium and ground become more vAluable as the housing costs go up and at the same time he makes a small profit by fleecing the club he claims to care so much about.
At the same time there is no political will to help the club find a new ground.
Our revenue consists of an average league one attendance, a small shop in the covered market, a shop open on match days and advertising space on our shirts.
Anyone who believes this will finance a championship club is living in cloud cuckoo land. DE lifted us back to where we should be, a mid level league 1 club who can dream of championship football.DE spent money on scouting and a good management spine which in the end have allowed him to break even on his adventure with Oxford but it was a big gamble.
I have never understood the moaners on here who go on about perceived slights and the fact he didn’t sell toSatori even though his bid had less substance than a straw house.
History will demonstrate how fortunate we were over his tenure and I hope that tiger can achieve half of what we did in the last few years.

For me it’s quite obvious that Eales and now tigers aims were always to get us to the championship by being very well run. Then you have a club in a world famous city, a great geographic location that is massively ripe for a sugar daddy to step in. Pay off tiger with a wedge and invest to get to the premier league. We would be a far more attractive option for any investor than Bournemouth, reading, burton, Fleetwood etc just based on the city and name. There will be some American that thinks owning Oxford FC in the premier league is huge kudos. Just gotta get to the champ to get the visibility

True, but, since Mansoor is richer than Abramovich, Kroenke, Levy, The Glazers and FSG combined there is a gap between everyone else :D

QPR have been a mess since Briatore. It not just a case of having money but investing it correctly. Bournemouth have invested within their means and Denim seems shrewd and a fan. Both were/are Billionaires. There is no great rush for us as supporters to get back into the prem. The 4 weeks have been more fun than all of last year. You do need to own the ground. That's down to Kassam though. I'm not having a go at fans when they say £2m per year is being a "Sugar Daddy" its throwing good money after bad. I find it sad for the fanbase. What you need is someone Buy the club and stadia. that's the big thing
I think you are wrong, someone coming to to buy the club and the stadium is not the right thing for us at this time.
How would all that be financed? the club and ground would cost circ £20 million that a big loan with big repayments, can you burden that debt on to the club for years to come, we will get very little return from owning the club as there is still the service charge to find and the ground will need a few million spent on it to tart it up, then the cost of building the 4th stand, all that remembering our budget is £4 million a year tops, a lot less according to some.
So unless there are people out there ready to take a gamble on owning a club and stadium, I think there is more chance of there being people out there willing to put money into a club on the playing side and try and get us where there is more riches for them, football is a business and there are a lot of rich people chucking their money away trying to achieve that aim.
SD has had the chance twice to buy the club, he knew/knows the inner working better than most, he had a ceiling on what he was willing to offer for the club, he put on here how unrealistic and not cost effective buying the stadium would be, again a business man willing to risk his money for a return, SD family have been great Oxford fans over the years but he wouldn't let his heart rule his head and have to chuck silly money at this project.

I think you are wrong, someone coming to to buy the club and the stadium is not the right thing for us at this time.
How would all that be financed? the club and ground would cost circ £20 million that a big loan with big repayments, can you burden that debt on to the club for years to come, we will get very little return from owning the club as there is still the service charge to find and the ground will need a few million spent on it to tart it up, then the cost of building the 4th stand, all that remembering our budget is £4 million a year tops, a lot less according to some.
So unless there are people out there ready to take a gamble on owning a club and stadium, I think there is more chance of there being people out there willing to put money into a club on the playing side and try and get us where there is more riches for them, football is a business and there are a lot of rich people chucking their money away trying to achieve that aim.
SD has had the chance twice to buy the club, he knew/knows the inner working better than most, he had a ceiling on what he was willing to offer for the club, he put on here how unrealistic and not cost effective buying the stadium would be, again a business man willing to risk his money for a return, SD family have been great Oxford fans over the years but he wouldn't let his heart rule his head and have to chuck silly money at this project.

Firstly Good result today. Secondly let's agree to disagree. Let's take a few Championship basics Like a four sided stadium and a heated pitch. Amittedly neither have to be done right away. I think you get three years to meet safety standards in the Championship before points are docked it's late and I'm not looking stuff up tonight. Whose going to pay for it if you don't own your own stuff? This is the catch 22 that stops most clubs in their tracks Look at Gaydermack Era Pompey. that was just a s hitshow of the highest order. Consolidate the club then go from there. I don't know Who SD is but I'd want to own it all. If he hasn't the funds to do then he's better off walking away Even at league 1 levels it's a rich man's game Edit: Going back to your first point when would be the right time? I take it the aim is to head into the premier league right? Nestled bang in middle of the top four leagues. So, when? when IS the right time? or are you just going to p iss into the wind. Our last Chairman who bailed us out from almost bankruptcy. First thing he did was make sure he owned everything

Last edited:
Firstly Good result today. Secondly let's agree to disagree. Let's take a few Championship basics Like a four sided stadium and a heated pitch. Amittedly neither have to be done right away. I think you get three years to meet safety standards in the Championship before points are docked it's late and I'm not looking stuff up tonight. Whose going to pay for it if you don't own your own stuff? This is the catch 22 that stops most clubs in their tracks Look at Gaydermack Era Pompey. that was just a s hitshow of the highest order. Consolidate the club then go from there. I don't know Who SD is but I'd want to own it all. If he hasn't the funds to do then he's better off walking away Even at league 1 levels it's a rich man's game Edit: Going back to your first point when would be the right time? I take it the aim is to head into the premier league right? Nestled bang in middle of the top four leagues. So, when? when IS the right time? or are you just going to p iss into the wind. Our last Chairman who bailed us out from almost bankruptcy. First thing he did was make sure he owned everything

I'd be very surprised if there was a rule requiring 4 stands.

Back
Top Bottom