Eales

Lacking ambition?

I can remember very well the days of playing in the old Second division (Today's Championship) and doing quite well.

Agreed, the current set up at the stadium is not going to work and that will hold back the club but, I would still like to watch OUFC win and be successful.

Sure, but even twenty years ago, the second tier was a very different beast than it is now.
Now a 25 million wage bill is middle of the pack, and your competition is buying players for high seven or even eight figures.
And a third of the division are getting parachute payments that are at least five times the size of Oxford's total revenues.

They crunched the numbers, put forward a price they thought was fair to purchase the club, seller rejected. That's business. Just don't buy the BS from the seller that it was in the best interests of the football club.

I'm sure passionate local businessmen could shift a little on the valuation in order to get their dream club seeing as they have found far more to buy another club.

And I don't buy the BS that Eales ever said that! It was the timing and deals that were not in anyone's interests and this could have easily been resolved by our two local heroes shaking the piggy bank a little harder!

I'm sure passionate local businessmen could shift a little on the valuation in order to get their dream club seeing as they have found far more to buy another club.

And I don't buy the BS that Eales ever said that! It was the timing and deals that were not in anyone's interests and this could have easily been resolved by our two local heroes shaking the piggy bank a little harder!
Hang on, I thought that the deal was being proposed by Sartori, not SD and CM?

Sure, but even twenty years ago, the second tier was a very different beast than it is now.
Now a 25 million wage bill is middle of the pack, and your competition is buying players for high seven or even eight figures.
And a third of the division are getting parachute payments that are at least five times the size of Oxford's total revenues.
Again from an Oxford point of view hitting the nail on the head. Look at the 3 clubs promoted last season from our league. The year before it was 2 relegated plus Sheffield United I believe, this year we have Sunderland and Barnsley plus a resurgent Pompey.My mate is a QPR fan and tells me they can’t compete any more due to the fine and restrictions placed on them but also because the top half of the championship is becoming an offshoot of the premiership. They have a potential sugar daddy at the club but aren’t allowed to spend and average 13k in a stadium they own that they know isn’t big enough. In our present state unfortunately I couldn’t see us lasting more than a couple of seasons whereas even 2 years ago I thought different.

Lacking ambition?

I can remember very well the days of playing in the old Second division (Today's Championship) and doing quite well.

Agreed, the current set up at the stadium is not going to work and that will hold back the club but, I would still like to watch OUFC win and be successful.
Our ground then was also holding us back, we sort of owned it but it was in hock to the bank, we were paying for the privilege of owning the Manor. It was a slippery slope from then on.

Again from an Oxford point of view hitting the nail on the head. Look at the 3 clubs promoted last season from our league. The year before it was 2 relegated plus Sheffield United I believe, this year we have Sunderland and Barnsley plus a resurgent Pompey.My mate is a QPR fan and tells me they can’t compete any more due to the fine and restrictions placed on them but also because the top half of the championship is becoming an offshoot of the premiership. They have a potential sugar daddy at the club but aren’t allowed to spend and average 13k in a stadium they own that they know isn’t big enough. In our present state unfortunately I couldn’t see us lasting more than a couple of seasons whereas even 2 years ago I thought different.

Not coming on here all Billy BigBo***cks we have a wage bill in the £50-£100m range we've got rid of the huge earners the £100kpw trio of Foster, Evans and Rondon. Although we must honour Dwight Gayle's wage which maybe close to that. . it giives us 2 years after the parachute to get back up. The club itself has set a target for this season.. I think it will be more likely next year. you're right though the gap isn't in the Prem anymore it's in the championship.

If Tiger pumping in circa £2m per annum into a football club with no obvious long-term upside is not being banked rolled by a sugar daddy than what is?!

It's a shame no successful local business men with football experience and commercial nous who know the importance of our club owning the stadium for long-term sustainability were interested in buying the club... Oh wait!

Imagine those local businessmen failing twice on 2 separate occasions with 2 separate owners because they fell short of the asking price...

• React
Reactions: MJB
If Tiger pumping in circa £2m per annum into a football club with no obvious long-term upside is not being banked rolled by a sugar daddy than what is?!

£2m wouldn't keep a top 6's medical team going for three months In championship let alone the prem. That isn't a suger daddy Lai ok'd roughly £75m per year of spending during our prem days and close to £30m this Summer we are just one league above you. I don't say this as a brag. It's just facts the gap now is the big spenders in the Championship against the botom half

Not coming on here all Billy BigBo***cks we have a wage bill in the £50-£100m range we've got rid of the huge earners the £100kpw trio of Foster, Evans and Rondon. Although we must honour Dwight Gayle's wage which maybe close to that. . it giives us 2 years after the parachute to get back up. The club itself has set a target for this season.. I think it will be more likely next year. you're right though the gap isn't in the Prem anymore it's in the championship.

Pretty certain their is still a gap between you and Man City.

Think again..
SD and Charles were very much involved!

Involved,? Yes as in SD introduced Sartori to the club and Eales, and CM was acting as media consultant to Sartori. That much is all in the public domain.

LR, if you have any information to prove otherwise then please enlighten us. Until such time I do not feel any compulsion to "think again"

SD has been a great friend to our club and had spent time and money, also placing his reputation on the line in recommending the club to Sartori and introducing him to Eales. Why Eales then decided to pull the plug at the last minute is still a puzzle.

Involved,? Yes as in SD introduced Sartori to the club and Eales, and CM was acting as media consultant to Sartori. That much is all in the public domain.

LR, if you have any information to prove otherwise then please enlighten us. Until such time I do not feel any compulsion to "think again"

SD has been a great friend to our club and had spent time and money, also placing his reputation on the line in recommending the club to Sartori and introducing him to Eales. Why Eales then decided to pull the plug at the last minute is still a puzzle.

It's not that much of a puzzle if we are to believe Charles and his posts that were made in the weeks/months after the event. There was a difference in opinion in the valuation of the club and Chas admitted that they had gone in with a below value bid. I would guess that DE then looked to recoup some of his investment in players and negotiations stalled. With no signs of this being resolved and time ticking, DE pulled the plug stating that any further delays were not in the best interests of the club. SD has supported the club for a number of years, and could have taken full control had his bid been accepted by either IL or DE. The fact that they weren't shows that maybe the bids were not a true value for the club.

But then you have to wonder why SD was so reticent in putting in the asking price for the club. Doesn’t it all come back to the bloody stadium situation. I don’t pretend to be one of the brightest contributors on here but to me it seems a no-brainer: owning the stadium, or at least, benefiting from all the possible revenues from it has got to be more beneficial and conducive to a successful club than paying around 1/2 million rent per annum on a dilapidated soulless stadium. I just think while FK owns it, we’re lucky to have anyone who’s willing to take us on.

Hence the QPR bit of what I was saying where. we look at Accrington but sadly in our current position. we would almost be the championship equivalent not necessarily by gate but factor in other things and we will struggle at present. I see us between about 18th in the championship and 16 in the league we are in. 10 years ago if someone had said Bournemouth would be paying 25 million for players I would’ve spent the next 5 minutes laughing but this shows how much football has changed. I would love to see Oxford punching with the likes of championship clubs every week. Owning our own ground would be a start but decent investment would be needed as well, maybe we have further investment coming in.

Last edited:
But then you have to wonder why SD was so reticent in putting in the asking price for the club. Doesn’t it all come back to the bloody stadium situation. I don’t pretend to be one of the brightest contributors on here but to me it seems a no-brainer: owning the stadium, or at least, benefiting from all the possible revenues from it has got to be more beneficial and conducive to a successful club than paying around 1/2 million rent per annum on a dilapidated soulless stadium. I just think while FK owns it, we’re lucky to have anyone who’s willing to take us on.
SD is a far better businessman than I am and will have his reasons for valuing the club at x amount whilst others were prepared to offer x +1. The stadium will be a big issue but there may be other factors that we don't know. Only time will tell if he dodged a bullet or missed out on the golden ticket!!!

It's not that much of a puzzle if we are to believe Charles and his posts that were made in the weeks/months after the event. There was a difference in opinion in the valuation of the club and Chas admitted that they had gone in with a below value bid. I would guess that DE then looked to recoup some of his investment in players and negotiations stalled. With no signs of this being resolved and time ticking, DE pulled the plug stating that any further delays were not in the best interests of the club. SD has supported the club for a number of years, and could have taken full control had his bid been accepted by either IL or DE. The fact that they weren't shows that maybe the bids were not a true value for the club.
SD bid to buy the club from Eales? That's a first. As to the value of the club, that was an issue which involved buying and developing the stadium.
How would you place a value on the club when it has, other than players, no tangible assets? The name? It's status as a league club? What value could be derived that would create an offer? Clearly, Eales wanted to recoup his investment and it looks very much as though he will, with interest. Not bad for his time in control.
We know that both Eales and Tiger have taken control of the club with no plans for the stadium. They may want to negotiate with FK but neither have/had real money plans.
If Tiger can bring together sufficient finance to gain control of the stadium or can convince the powers that be to allow a new stadium elsewhere, fantastic. I'm not going to hold my breath.

And perhaps the Singha link up could hold the keys to the stadium deal, or at least a lean that way.

And perhaps the Singha link up could hold the keys to the stadium deal, or at least a lean that way.
Singha, Thai Airways, there are a few names floating around. If Tiger can call in any favours or persuade any more business connections to come on board, then we could be looking at something happening. He may not be as wealthy as we might like but if he can (or his "banker" can) bring some big spenders to his idea of OUFC being an integral part of the Oxford experience, who knows what may happen.

SD bid to buy the club from Eales? That's a first. As to the value of the club, that was an issue which involved buying and developing the stadium.
How would you place a value on the club when it has, other than players, no tangible assets? The name? It's status as a league club? What value could be derived that would create an offer? Clearly, Eales wanted to recoup his investment and it looks very much as though he will, with interest. Not bad for his time in control.
We know that both Eales and Tiger have taken control of the club with no plans for the stadium. They may want to negotiate with FK but neither have/had real money plans.
If Tiger can bring together sufficient finance to gain control of the stadium or can convince the powers that be to allow a new stadium elsewhere, fantastic. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Please don't be naive. SD was very clearly involved along with Satori for the bid being made, and Charles was to hold a similar role to what he has at Sunderland.

As for tangible assets, you are right. But that hasn't stopped IL, SD, DE, Satori or Tiger bidding for the club. Not one has done so with any real plans to take control of the stadium. Water Eaton would never have happened and at best we have looked towards a more beneficial lease deal that shares income.

Back
Top Bottom