Matches Crystal Palace - First 10k gate of the season

Let's try and get this thread back on track and satisfy the curiosity of @Foley and stop all of this chocolate nonsense!

Further good sales yesterday meaning we've now sold over 1,000 since season ticket seats were released at 3pm on Wednesday. What is interesting is that daily sales since that deadline are lower than they were before it, even though some "better" seats became available. I suggest that this might be a case of premature FOMO, when it looked as though it was selling out in certain areas. Now that some of these areas are getting full again (NS Block 25 is at 95% capacity, for example) we may see a bit more FOMO activity, and it's certain that people are attracted by an event that they see everyone else attending.

I'd expect a pick up in personal sales today, and a general upturn as the game approaches, all assuming a decent result today! Will do a forecast tomorrow.
Thanks @Colin B for Crunchie the numbers

i'll get my coat

Hopefully we have good sales today with people buying tickets in person before the game, or online afterwards following (hopefully) a better performance and much needed win.

I initially thought 10k would be easily achievable with a bit of a push, but there's still some work needed to get there. I get that there hasn't been a lot of good news around the club lately, but we had a similar start to the season ahead of the West Ham game a couple of seasons ago.

Winning in the cup could galvanise everyone and bring back a bit of hope so let's give this a final push and get everyone up for this game.

How much were Freddo's when everyone was a kid?

What's a Freddo's?

f**k. I've answered the question by betraying myself as ancient. f**k it. f**k IT!

Good sales on Saturday, but a bit slower yesterday, although not helped by the club finding an extra 50 seats in Block 12 (Directors' Box). I guess the lower sales yesterday are the consequence of Saturday's disappointing result.

We're now at 6,650 home sales (excluding boxes) and it's been a very odd sales pattern, not helped by our erratic form and the low uptake by season ticket holders. However the sun is shining, and the weather should be good for the match, and it might just be that people make a late decision to go. I can't see 10,000 but we need another 900 sales to hit a total attendance of 9,000.

I'm going for us to hit the 9,000 mark, just. Not bad I suppose, but I feel we're in a bit of a malaise at the moment (transfer window, injuries, results, performances, lack of meaningful club PR etc) and if we had got our act together, on and off of the pitch, this could and should have been an easy 10,000.

Shame we won’t sell out for this one but this is the consequence of our lacklustre start.
It will be interesting to see who Karl fields tomorrow. I do wonder if he’ll give a run out to a couple of youngsters just save us from any more bloody injuries.

Good sales on Saturday, but a bit slower yesterday, although not helped by the club finding an extra 50 seats in Block 12 (Directors' Box). I guess the lower sales yesterday are the consequence of Saturday's disappointing result.

We're now at 6,650 home sales (excluding boxes) and it's been a very odd sales pattern, not helped by our erratic form and the low uptake by season ticket holders. However the sun is shining, and the weather should be good for the match, and it might just be that people make a late decision to go. I can't see 10,000 but we need another 900 sales to hit a total attendance of 9,000.

I'm going for us to hit the 9,000 mark, just. Not bad I suppose, but I feel we're in a bit of a malaise at the moment (transfer window, injuries, results, performances, lack of meaningful club PR etc) and if we had got our act together, on and off of the pitch, this could and should have been an easy 10,000.
Thanks as always for the updates Colin - the pattern of sales is curious with the middle two blocks of the North Stand all but sold out (single tickets only available), but other home sections much lower (Family area of NS quiet, East Stand very poor given Premiership opposition, SSU also low but SSL sales good apart from end sections).

I must admit that the malaise you reference has definitely affected me and curbed my dot counting enthusiasm - I always try to be optimistic but unless the remainder of the transfer window brings some serious recruitment, then we are looking at a relegation battle rather than promotion challenge I fear, with hopefully the potential for us to improve enough to survive in the second half of the season if the injured returned and stay fit. Short to medium-term though the outlook is bleak unless we are able to source some immediate quality additions to the team.

It's not just been the poor results against some very average teams, it's been the lack of pace and excitement in our performances (Marcus McGuane an honourable exception). We have played some great stuff over the past couple of seasons and you wanted more people to come along and enjoy the quality of football we were offering, even it our challenge ultimately petered out. You were proud to promote and showcase our team. But, being honest, now it is hard enough to motivate myself to watch us, let alone encourage others to do so by trying to build up some dot counting momentum.

Thanks as always for the updates Colin - the pattern of sales is curious with the middle two blocks of the North Stand all but sold out (single tickets only available), but other home sections much lower (Family area of NS quiet, East Stand very poor given Premiership opposition, SSU also low but SSL sales good apart from end sections).

I must admit that the malaise you reference has definitely affected me and curbed my dot counting enthusiasm - I always try to be optimistic but unless the remainder of the transfer window brings some serious recruitment, then we are looking at a relegation battle rather than promotion challenge I fear, with hopefully the potential for us to improve enough to survive in the second half of the season if the injured returned and stay fit. Short to medium-term though the outlook is bleak unless we are able to source some immediate quality additions to the team.

It's not just been the poor results against some very average teams, it's been the lack of pace and excitement in our performances (Marcus McGuane an honourable exception). We have played some great stuff over the past couple of seasons and you wanted more people to come along and enjoy the quality of football we were offering, even it our challenge ultimately petered out. You were proud to promote and showcase our team. But, being honest, now it is hard enough to motivate myself to watch us, let alone encourage others to do so by trying to build up some dot counting momentum.
Yeah, I know the feeling Jason, and I'll only do the dot counting for certain "interesting" games.

I did every single game, home and away, last season, aided in some ways by my central location in Nottingham, where many of the away games were closer than a home game. But now that we're living in our house in Kent, for a least half of the current season, I can't see me doing anywhere near the same number. The last two home games have been a nightmare 3.5 hour journey around the M25, just to get to the ground, and what I watched in those two games made me question my sanity in making such a journey!

I'm going tomorrow, but have already decided against some of the upcoming away games, as well as the EFL Trophy games. I'm as positive as the next man (more so than most) but I feel the club has been sleepwalking toward mediocrity since before the end of last season. I can normally rationalise things and cling onto the positives, but I'm struggling to see them at the moment, and my frustration is doubled by how avoidable some of our current problems are/were.

Regards to your dad, as always.

I'm as positive as the next man (more so than most) but I feel the club has been sleepwalking toward mediocrity since before the end of last season. I can normally rationalise things and cling onto the positives, but I'm struggling to see them at the moment, and my frustration is doubled by how avoidable some of our current problems ar
Why do you think that is Colin?
Has the new ground simply become the main focus so that other things have been left?

Why do you think that is Colin?
Has the new ground simply become the main focus so that other things have been left?
I'll choose my words carefully, and I've mentioned some of these things before, but I feel we have a dysfunctional structure at the club, in respect of both playing and non-playing matters.

Some people have more power than perhaps somebody in their position should, and others, whose position would normally carry more power, have less. Sorry if that's a bit cryptic, but I don't want to get drawn into it any more than that, I'll leave that for others. There is a professional team in place dealing with the stadium, so that is not the reason, in my opinion. If the structure at the club were as it should be in a Top 30 Club we wouldn't have had the shambolic summer we've had, on and off the field, and probably wouldn't be where we are now.

I take absolutely no pleasure in saying any of the above.

I'll choose my words carefully, and I've mentioned some of these things before, but I feel we have a dysfunctional structure at the club, in respect of both playing and non-playing matters.

Some people have more power than perhaps somebody in their position should, and others, whose position would normally carry more power, have less. Sorry if that's a bit cryptic, but I don't want to get drawn into it any more than that, I'll leave that for others. There is a professional team in place dealing with the stadium, so that is not the reason, in my opinion. If the structure at the club were as it should be in a Top 30 Club we wouldn't have had the shambolic summer we've had, on and off the field, and probably wouldn't be where we are now.

I have no inside knowledge but, it is fairly obvious to anyone that things are not right. (Plus the odd bit of gossip that gets relayed to the SSU 1893 gang!)
Those extra 50 seats in block 12 will have come from the restaurant not selling out. That restaurant that was the "Atkinson Suite" and is now referred to as the "Oxford United" restaurant, to avoid any embarrassment with being linked to someone who was recorded using some pretty racist language! Shame they didn't think of that prior to the naming ceremony!

I sincerely hope that before the season ends, the club can engage the services of a few professionals to sort out the mess that is the off field structure.

Why as a club are we in such a mess of the field surely that's not KR's fault 🤔 I don't understand how we can have owners that want a new stadium owners that are very good businessmen but yet the business that is oufc is in a mess

I was talking to someone at the club who said that we are a top 30 club run like a Sunday league outfit. I don't know the infrastructure at other clubs, but I'm amazed at how few fulltime staff we have away from the playing side. And this isn't a reflection on those that are there, may of those are there because of their love for the club. But they can't do everything, and sadly some of the basic things are falling away, as we've seen with season tickets, marketing and general communication this summer.

I guess you wouldn’t want to say what could resolve this?

Also, do you think this off the field management will ultimately hamper our season?

Really good sales today, about 600, leaving us at over 7,200 home sales, excluding box sales. That leaves us at 8,700 total, including Palace's 1,450. I'm going to say we'll end up somewhere between 9,100 and 9,400 but hopefully higher.

I was talking to someone at the club who said that we are a top 30 club run like a Sunday league outfit. I don't know the infrastructure at other clubs, but I'm amazed at how few fulltime staff we have away from the playing side. And this isn't a reflection on those that are there, may of those are there because of their love for the club. But they can't do everything, and sadly some of the basic things are falling away, as we've seen with season tickets, marketing and general communication this summer.
Some of those things have never been fantastic, but it easy to see how they've got worse with so much attention on the stadium. I know Niall is doing a great job on the stadium but maybe that should be his full time remit and we get someone in to concentrate on the day to day around the club.

Back
Top Bottom