Matches Crystal Palace - First 10k gate of the season

Scotchegg

If ever there's a time for some forced positivity, it's now. Results have been poor, performances worse! Even the last round against Swansea was awful for 70 minutes!

But the beauty of the cup is that a goal deflecting off the a**e of our least likely scorer, a pinball free kick and one penalty save can result in games that live long in our memories for years to come.

These threads helped drum up interest last season, and we desperately need something that can kick start this season. PL opposition under the lights during the school holidays, hopefully gives us the opportunity to encourage supporters old and new along. Palace will sell out their allocation I'd guess, so let's get out in numbers to show them the same as we showed West Ham a few years ago!

With decisions on Stratfield Brake on the horizon we need to take every opportunity we have to show how big a club Oxford United is, and why we need a bigger and better stadium. So let's get out in numbers by spreading the word and actively encouraging others along. Bring the kids, take a mate, fill a car load of people from work. Whatever it takes to get people through the doors and cheer the team into round 3.

Screenshot_20220814-194144_Facebook.jpg

Home game, school hols, low prices, not unbeatable premier league opposition, it will be a memorable occasion. What's not to like?!

The tickets for this should, you would hope, fly off the metaphorical shelves, assuming there's a decent level of public awareness of the game. @OxVox will certainly play its part in pushing it.

Cash and budgeting, given the insane number of August matches, may inhibit some of course, but surely 10k+ is achievable.

Will have a proper count up tomorrow, but sales at the moment look much higher than I'd anticipated, especially after Saturday's defeat. Of course it will only be a true figure once the reserved season ticket deadline passes on Wed or Thur.

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox Please find out from the club if the football special buses will run for this game and ask them to update the ticket details article with whichever answer is received. Could the club please be asked to put this information on for all cup games, regardless of whether the buses are running.

So, here's the count up as of about an hour ago.

Home sales are showing at about a dozen below 7,000 which is very good for this stage of sales. As usual this doesn't include box sales. East Stand sales are particularly strong, as are North Stand, and this has been the usual pattern for our 10,000 home crowds. A slight note of caution is that season ticket holders' seats are currently saved, so although I'd expect most to attend, it may be that some have bought tickets elsewhere (taking advantage of the "better" seats being the same price as the rest?) and once those seats are no longer reserved (is it Wednesday or Thursday, the club still haven't updated this!) the figure will take a little dip, but hopefully not by much.

I'll do a daily check, which will enable me to forecast a bit more accurately in two or three days time, but I thought this one might have been about 8,000 total after Saturday's debacle, but it's clearly going to be much more than that. No idea how many Palace will sell but if it's 1,000 or so, then I'd say we'll be over 10,000 total.

A small piece of good news, let's hope it's a turning point.

Please note the pricing on the promotional material says "from" - it's the small wins. :) ;)

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox Please find out from the club if the football special buses will run for this game and ask them to update the ticket details article with whichever answer is received. Could the club please be asked to put this information on for all cup games, regardless of whether the buses are running.
Chris Williams has just told me no decision yet on the buses.

Announcement coming shortly for the CP evening match. Good news on buses.
Will ask for it to be clearer for cup games.

Last edited:

ST holder seats are reserved until 3pm on Wednesday 17th.

Announcement coming shortly for the CP evening match. Good news on buses.
Will ask for it to be clearer for cup games.

There shouldn't of even been a need for a decision, Buses should run whatever the game or predicted attendance is going to be. You can't expect everyone to just drop car travel at Stratfield Brake and use public transport when currently the club
drive people in to using their cars to get to the Kassam for cup games.

The board may have a vision and working hard at building us a new stadium but they might want to take a look at a few aspects of how the club is being run currently as to say we could do better is an understatement!

Football special buses are running for the Palace game....

There shouldn't of even been a need for a decision, Buses should run whatever the game or predicted attendance is going to be. You can't expect everyone to just drop car travel at Stratfield Brake and use public transport when currently the club
drive people in to using their cars to get to the Kassam for cup games.

The board may have a vision and working hard at building us a new stadium but they might want to take a look at a few aspects of how the club is being run currently as to say we could do better is an understatement!
You make it sound very simple and I agree with your sentiments. Unfortunately, following deregulation, bus companies run with profit on each route as a major consideration. This one sounds an easy decision for them but would you say the same for the pizza trophy for example?

You make it sound very simple and I agree with your sentiments. Unfortunately, following deregulation, bus companies run with profit on each route as a major consideration. This one sounds an easy decision for them but would you say the same for the pizza trophy for example?

Maybe if they ran it like a dial a ride where you book your bus in advance they would know exactly how many people were intending to travel by the football special busses. Instead they just cancel the service which either turns people in to their cars or stops people attending all together. A combined football ticket and bus ticket is the way forward both at the kassam and Stratfield Brake.

Might be a model that has some legs. The essentials really are predictability of service and reasonable prices. It's 2022 after all & there's this thing called the web which would allow pre registration etc.

Maybe if they ran it like a dial a ride where you book your bus in advance they would know exactly how many people were intending to travel by the football special busses. Instead they just cancel the service which either turns people in to their cars or stops people attending all together. A combined football ticket and bus ticket is the way forward both at the kassam and Stratfield Brake.
Maybe an idea for season tickets next year is a football special bus addon? Prices would have to vary depending where you got on, but I come from Carterton so the buses (for only league games) will cost me £195.50. Maybe a £150 addon to a season ticket would encourage other supporters concerned about travel prices as well as the season ticket would help.

Or maybe everyone, no matter where you live pays £100, but when you get on the bus you have to pay a little bit e.g get on in Carterton, pay £2 when you show your bus addon (£146 over the league games), and maybe £1 in Eynsham for example.

Back
Top Bottom