Sport Cricket: Winter 2020/2021

Yep but it was expected unfortunately. We were well beaten, by 317 runs. But if offered 1-1 after first two tests I’d of snapped ya hand off.

It’s a shame it wasn’t a fairer contest, I hope they prepare the wicket better up in Ahmedabad. Which I believe is a day/night test match, and a pink ball. So it will be interesting to see what the ball does with different conditions.

Two one sided Tests so far largely won on a toss of a coin but with some genuinely class performances too - Root and Anderson in the first test and Rohit Sharma and Ravi Ashwin in the second. All poised at one a piece.

We can grumble about the pitch but was it as bad as it’s been made out? Ashwin scored a century on it and England’s spinners were expensive and exposed this test. Maybe the prearranged team change wasn’t what we needed to keep momentum.

It is what it is. Onward to Ahmedabad and we hope that Lady Luck gives England a favourable coin toss.

I think you answered your own question: 'largely won on a toss of a coin'! Yes, I think it was as poor as has been made out although the Indian players coped with it better - as you'd expect, since they play on that sort of surface regularly - and deserved to win. The pitch was breaking up and taking a lot of spin on the first day, and (with the pitches next to each other) you could see it had been prepared completely differently than the one for the first test. Batting was obviously difficult for most of the players (admittedly mostly ours!) - we've had four full innings in just over four days.

You are right - winning the toss for the next test is going to determine how it goes to a huge degree!

Dodgy Pitch or not, England batted poorly. Look at how all 20 wickets fell and you’ll see some dodgy shots, you’ll see players missing straight balls (again) and also players picking the wrong option game and time again.

As for the bowling, we bowled some right crap. Dont be fooled by Ali and his figures with bat and ball. He was producing a 4 ball an over and not what you want from your senior spinner.

We were a spinner light too.

Lessons need to be learned quick.

As for the bowling, we bowled some right crap. Dont be fooled by Ali and his figures with bat and ball. He was producing a 4 ball an over and not what you want from your senior spinner.

We were a spinner light too.

Lessons need to be learned
Agree with most of that but Leach is clearly seen as the senior spinner.
The trouble is that Moeen and Bess are not consistent/ good enough.
So is there any use having 3 spinners in the team? I guess that if the pitch is the same for the third Test then Moeen and Bess may both play.

Agree with most of that but Leach is clearly seen as the senior spinner.
The trouble is that Moeen and Bess are not consistent/ good enough.
So is there any use having 3 spinners in the team? I guess that if the pitch is the same for the third Test then Moeen and Bess may both play.
Ive a feeling that as its at a different ground, its a day/night test , and as its a pink ball it may be Anderson & Broad in the bowling attack, ... as for which spinners, anyones guess , Leach & Bess maybe?

Pretty sure Moeen is leaving the bubble, then only back for the Hit'n'Giggle series later.

Squad news for the next test in the series, coming up imminently on Channel 4

England squad for Third Test: Joe Root (C), James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow, Dominic Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Ben Foakes, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Dom Sibley, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

7 quicks in that squad then. Makes sense.

Would like to see Parkinson get a go and Verdi at Surrey who’s also well thought of.

Apparently the wicket up at Ahmedabad is pretty green, and looks like it could favour seam bowling more than spinners. I’m not sure if Anderson and Broad will play together, but we need to take advantage, because I think overall we have a better pace bowling attack.

The last time India hosted a day night game with the pink ball was in Kolkata, against Bangladesh, and I think every wicket that fell was to seam bowling. Maybe we could win this one, I’m optimistic anyway.

Best enjoy the next 2 test matches live on C4 then .... day /night test V India starts Wednesday - 8.30 am, UK time

It will be nice to have a lay in for a change.

I knew Sky would get the broadcasting rights for the one day games and T20’s. I believe the 50 over games and T20’s are shared between Ahmedabad and Pune.

It’s been nice to have a test series on C4 for a change, and hopefully they get more in future.

I remember when BT had the Ashes down under, and imo I thought they were quite poor, and lacked knowledge of the game. Or you could tell they got there information given to them as they were reading from notes.

The Hundred... 'Player Draft Reveal' today, BBC are mad for it.

Anyone remotely interested?

Not surprised at the coverage Steve, don't the BBC have some of the games?

As an aside, I was channel hopping on Sunday and caught some of a Pakistan Superleague 20/20 (Islamabad & Multan) - I didn't realise how many Brits were playing there. The featured game included Alex Hales, Phil Salt, Lewis Gregory and James Vince. The commentators, including David Gower and Dominic Cork, also mentioned Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Reece Topley, Chris Jordan, Joe Clarke, Samit Patel and a bunch of others.

Not surprised at the coverage Steve, don't the BBC have some of the games?

As an aside, I was channel hopping on Sunday and caught some of a Pakistan Superleague 20/20 (Islamabad & Multan) - I didn't realise how many Brits were playing there. The featured game included Alex Hales, Phil Salt, Lewis Gregory and James Vince. The commentators, including David Gower and Dominic Cork, also mentioned Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Reece Topley, Chris Jordan, Joe Clarke, Samit Patel and a bunch of others.
Yep, it's on the BBC, so I guess there might be some exposure benefit which may assist the 'proper' cricket eventually.

I've seen a bit of the Pakistan T20 as well, and also some 'T10' tournament which had some very very average cricket played in it.

Well I'm not sure I understand it really! A 20Twenty game is only 120 balls - not really sure what the advantage is of knocking those 20 balls off except to make it even more of a thrashy lottery? Bowlers can bowl 5 or 10 ball overs?

I hope it brings some cash into the game and if it is on terrestrial TV I will watch the initial games with interest.

It's not proper cricket though ;)

Back
Top Bottom