Sport Winter Cricket Thread

A slow, slow pitch that Denly got England out of bind on, with good help from Woakes. Bowling has been ok so far but I don't get bowling Root in the power play as he's at least 1 freebie an over in ODIs and isn't that threatening.

Some fantastic shots have been hit by both sides, for singles. That sort of pitch.

need to take some wickets a bit sharpish England... almost at the halfway point in Englands (50) overs

SA 125-1 - after 24 overs ...26 overs to bowl, SA need 134 to beat England's 258

Last edited:
This bowling attack is a English buffet at the moment - plenty to tuck into and it's offered freely.

Oh the joy of having to good spinners in your team - Ali did well, but Rashid better. Got mugged off by the review that wasn't a review, but the Saffers looked lost playing them. Good game this!

Keaton Jennings, the batsmen with no technique is off on the Sri Lanka tour. Dear oh dear

Keaton Jennings, the batsmen with no technique is off on the Sri Lanka tour. Dear oh dear
What a strange decision.
Sure he is very good against spinners, but hardly looking to the future?
Sibley and Crawley better start the series.

Sibley and Crawley better start the series.

Agree wholeheartedly.

As long as the batting line up continues to be Crawley, Sibley, Root, Denly, Stokes, Pope, Buttler and Jennings is there purely to carry the drinks, then it's not too concerning.

But if the selectors still think that Jennings has a future role, then that's troubling because he's shown pretty clearly from the last few years that he can't hack it.

Jennings average 17.7 in home tests versus 44.4 on the subcontinent, so you can understand it from a statistical perspective. I guess maybe we're gonna trot him out every time we tour Asia and hide him at the back of the cupboard for the years in between?!

What a T20 series this has been! First game lose on the last ball. Second game win on the last ball. Decider an exciting game where we successfully chase 223 with some almighty hitting.
Fantastic series.
England have so many match winners with the bat. Then Rashid andva couple of quick bowlers.
I would say that the game today was screwed far too much in the batsman's favour though.

That pitch was like batting on concrete, but the team did well to restrict SA to that, and did well to bat through the order to get there. If Malan had not come in, we may have got there sooner! This team will be seriously competitive when the T20 World Cup rolls around in October

If the England camp are struggling integrating Malan, Hales is a no. Where Stokes has changed, seems like Hales has not.

In some respects, I'd rather take Banton to World T20 and give him exposure to the big boys cricket because he will be in the team for the next decade if all goes well.

So the first thing I would do is demote whoever this additional batsman is to #6 or #7.

Buttler, Roy, Bairstow, Morgan & Stokes are our best t20 batsmen, so they should be coming out us our top five.
If things are going well, and there's only a few overs to go and some slogging to be done, then you send Mooen out at Number 6.

So the additional batsman's main job then is if we have a batting collapse in the first ten - then they've got to come out and get us to a respectable total.

If there's anyone who's a good batsman, and an absolutely outstanding World Class fielder (I don't think Denly or Malan class as that) then you would consider them.

But otherwise - if we're really thinking short term, and trying to win the World t20 later this year......if we're in the final, our top order has failed, we're 30-4 with fifteen overs to play, and in dire need of a composed innings to get us up to a score that we might possibly defend......I think there's just one rather outstanding candidate for that role. And he wears #66.

But otherwise - if we're really thinking short term, and trying to win the World t20 later this year......if we're in the final, our top order has failed, we're 30-4 with fifteen overs to play, and in dire need of a composed innings to get us up to a score that we might possibly defend......I think there's just one rather outstanding candidate for that role. And he wears #66.
And he can bowl...
Malan apparently has a really good T20 record for England.
I read that Morgan semi wrote Malan off after he scored a really quick century and refused to run a bye on the last ball to stay not out. Morgan is a pretty tough captain and the team means everything. Cant argued with his success though.

Malan apparently has a really good T20 record for England.
I read that Morgan semi wrote Malan off after he scored a really quick century and refused to run a bye on the last ball to stay not out. Morgan is a pretty tough captain and the team means everything. Cant argued with his success though.
It's actually an insane record. In 10 matches he's scored 5 fifties and 1 hundred, at an average of 52 and strike rate over 150. He is also no.6 in the ICC T20 batting rankings (Morgan's our next highest at 9). Malan will be incredibly unlucky if he misses out on the World Cup.

Back
Top Bottom