EPL Chelsea sack Tuchel now Potter

Good question that
I keep checking to see if he’s off to Tranmere but odds still at 2-1 and have been for a while

The Prem is a mad circus. They'll be firing managers if they fail to win in two successive matches soon!

He will do really well with the pay off and be named as Leicester manager later this week
Klopp will be gone soon too maybe to Chelsea.
Rogers to Liverpool perhaps. Nothing would surprise me
It's amazing that he signed a contract with a cut price pay off (as opposed to full contract value).

The Prem is a mad circus. They'll be firing managers if they fail to win in two successive matches soon!

I think it's 13 permanent managers that have changed jobs in 2022/23 (12 sackings, and Potter leaving Brighton in the first place).
Although it's not quite two thirds of the teams, because Chelsea and Southampton have both fired two managers this season!

Still, it's worse in the Championship - they've had 22 permanent managers change jobs this season (albeit 17 sackings and 5 managers moving on to greener pastures)

Chelsea paid Brighton £21m in compensation for Potter (and his back room team, I assume).
So much for their long-term ‘project’

Chelsea’s long term project actually lasted less time than any of the managers Abramovich appointed.

A footballer is a long term appointment if he achieves his goals, whatever those may be, other than that it will be a short term job albeit one that pays well.

You can't help thinking that the most important part of a Prem manager's contract is the part dealing with what he gets *when* he is sacked! People taking jobs at certain clubs must be looking on it as a lucrative short term payday rather than a long term move...

The fuuuuuuuuuck!
Mad isn’t it, bring in the man you previously sacked to steady the ship and try and win the champions league even though he was previously sacked as it wasn’t thought he could bring the club success in the champions league!

Stealing a living as a football manager is Frank.

I don’t get the antipathy to him, he’s not had a brilliant career but he got Derby into the championship playoffs. Seems an intelligent guy though he’s a Tory.

I don’t get the antipathy to him, he’s not had a brilliant career but he got Derby into the championship playoffs. Seems an intelligent guy though he’s a Tory.
Did alright at Chelsea first season as well, finished too four despite being under a transfer embargo and them selling Hazard in the summer who was their best player by a mile. Went wrong after that but he seems to get a hell of a lot more stick than Gerrard who was atrocious at Villa.

Did alright at Chelsea first season as well, finished too four despite being under a transfer embargo and them selling Hazard in the summer who was their best player by a mile. Went wrong after that but he seems to get a hell of a lot more stick than Gerrard who was atrocious at Villa.
The Internet is all about absolutes, I guess it’s not very exciting to say X is a middle-ranking manager

Moyes must be close to going, that would be the thirteenth change in the prem this season.

Don’t quite see the fuss though, if you view a job with as a manager of a football club as a long term appointment by now you must be mental, it’s a very, very well paid position for a few years, plus the pay offs at prem level are so huge you could retire if you didn’t fancy going through it again so not like anyone is forcing them to do it, the sympathy and shock when one gets fired is ridiculous.

Absolute steal for Lampard though, couple of months work for a million or two and no real pressure, nice work if you can get it.

If he was called Frank Smith he would be a slightly paunchy electrician with three kids from two different mothers and a borderline coke addiction.

• React
Reactions: MJB
The Internet is all about absolutes, I guess it’s not very exciting to say X is a middle-ranking manager
He has underperformed as a manager despite being given significant budgets, getting by largely on a sentiment driven reputation.

Doubting of such figures gets shot down as being extreme by some, when it’s anything but.

I tend to think such behaviour says more about those who denigrate critics of consistently poor-performing populists.

It’s not really a concern when it affects clubs we care nothing for. More so, when it seeks to justify passive harm damaging something precious to us.

He has underperformed as a manager despite being given significant budgets, getting by largely on a sentiment driven reputation.

Doubting of such figures gets shot down as being extreme by some, when it’s anything but.

I tend to think such behaviour says more about those who denigrate critics of consistently poor-performing populists.

It’s not really a concern when it affects clubs we care nothing for. More so, when it seeks to justify passive harm damaging something precious to us.
Ah OK, you're linking him in with Robinson. I tend to think Lampard gets more flak than other mediocre managers because of his high profile. But I don't really study people's records in detail.

Ah OK, you're linking him in with Robinson. I tend to think Lampard gets more flak than other mediocre managers because of his high profile. But I don't really study people's records in detail.
So how can you call anybody’s opinion on him extreme when you then admit that you don’t really know anything about the ins and outs of his record? Don’t be a goose.

The bloke had Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori in the Championship, mere months before they were international footballers playing every week in the PL for an elite level club, and a budget so massive that Derby practically went bankrupt on the back of it. Getting them to the playoffs (in sixth place, by one point) was not success, nor was looking certain to take Everton down before being sacked. Yet he’s managed to get the Chelsea job twice on the back of those ‘achievements’ from the looks of it. I would argue he gets more opportunities due to his playing profile than he does flak because of it.

At least Gerrard managed to break Celtic’s stranglehold on Scottish football for the first time in a decade. He was crap at Villa but he did something to warrant his opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom