• New Forum Rules + Warning Points system, please see: this post.

Brexit - the Deal or No Deal poll

Brexit - Deal or No Deal?

• Deal

Votes: 40 29.2%
  • No Deal

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 26 19.0%

• Total voters

Essexyellows

Just wondering how Switzerland cope with having 5 "frictionless" borders and the EU are getting narky about 1 in Ireland??

Marked Ox

Just wondering how Switzerland cope with having 5 "frictionless" borders and the EU are getting narky about 1 in Ireland??
It is Ireland who are bothered by the border issue (including because of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement), the rest of the EU are backing up their fellow member. Did Switzerland have terrorism issues on their borders?

Essexyellows

It is Ireland who are bothered by the border issue (including because of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement), the rest of the EU are backing up their fellow member. Did Switzerland have terrorism issues on their borders?
So its an EU issue...the same EU we are leaving. Crack on then, leave it as it is.
If the EU want a harder border they can install it and suffer the consequences.

Marked Ox

So its an EU issue...the same EU we are leaving. Crack on then, leave it as it is.
It doesn't work like that because of the Good Friday Agreement and our commitments our Govt agreed to under it. Our Govt also has already made a commitment not to have a hard Border with the backstop. The contradictions of the DUP in their position and the power they have over May's Govt is making it very difficult for an agreement to be made.

Essexyellows

Why not exactly? Our Government position is "no hard border" in line with GFA etc. If the EU put one up then that is their issue.... created by them.

Marked Ox

Why not exactly? Our Government position is "no hard border" in line with GFA etc. If the EU put one up then that is their issue.... created by them.
Because our Govt has made a commitment and would have to operate under WTO rules. If we didn't other countries could raise a dispute under WTO rules (as an indirect example, just like Moldova are currently stopping our application to access WTO Public contracts market worth $1.7 trillion).

battman

Wait, so are you saying that because it'll be the EU putting up a border then it ceases to be a UK issue? If a border is put between NI and the Republic it would destroy the Good Friday Agreement and ruin the peace process in Northern Ireland, no matter who puts it up.

What consequences would they be, and why would putting up a border make the EU suffer more than the people actually living in Northern Ireland and the Republic?

Reactions: Ian

Foley

2018-19 shirt sponsor for Jamie Hanson
Regardless of how we do, youth unemployment in Greece,Spain and Italy will still be over 30%. Imagine the reaction of the" Told you so's" if youth unemployment in Britain was to reach 20% after Brexit,never mind the 40% + in Greece ! Italy will renege on its Budget tomorrow,and the pack of cards will start to collapse.
The thing that does surprise me is the absence (apparently) of any concern from the EU of what will happen to Europe as a result of no deal.
IF the 'threat of not being able to fly in and out if Europe happens as an example (and I doubt if it will be a problem for more than a few weeks), then the Countries who will probably suffer more than any will be .... Yes Spain Greece France and Italy.
I am not surprised that many of the Countries are desperate for a deal.
Macron appears to be accepting of pain for Europe to maintain the EU markets rules (and I get that), but putting even more stress on Spain and Greece especially could cause huge problems in these countries.
When push comes to shove I wonder how much backtracking of this tough talking will happen?

Foley

Actually, reports would seem to suggest that planes are much less likely to be falling out of the sky after a No Deal Brexit.

This is because they're not going to be in the sky in the first place!
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/25/avoiding-grounded-flights-after-brexit-will-take-a-huge-amount-of-work-iata-says.html
I actually think that the idea of no flights is ridiculous.
The regulations and safety of UK flights Is right up there with anything in the World.
IF there is a difficulty then it will be due to a lack if a pragmatic approach not a safety issue.
Europe accept flights in from the Philippines (only relatively recently as it was considered a safety risk until then) and many countries with less rigerous flight safety than the UK.
My suspicion is that there will be a short term problem but pretty quickly the pragmatic approach will be taken and aircraft will be taking millions of Belts on holiday to the Continent (as well as business last I be etc)

ZeroTheHero

But the EU simply cannot give us a 'good deal' i.e. let us pick the bits of the arrangement we want to keep and those we want to get out of (if anyone actually agrees which items fall into which of those camps!). Because if they do, that is the end of the EU - every other country will sooner or later do the same, citing the UK as an example and precedent.

Of course, some of the swivel-eyed loons on the extremes of Brexit would like us to 'just leave' and throw our lot in with other trading partners such as the Trump-led US, the despotic and ambitious Chinese and probably the Saudis as well rather than deal with other Europeans (yes, we are) with whom we as a country and culture have far more in common.

Peterdev

Millions of belts,,,at least we have a British export we can depend on😀

Peterdev

But the EU simply cannot give us a 'good deal' i.e. let us pick the bits of the arrangement we want to keep and those we want to get out of (if anyone actually agrees which items fall into which of those camps!). Because if they do, that is the end of the EU - every other country will sooner or later do the same, citing the UK as an example and precedent.

Of course, some of the swivel-eyed loons on the extremes of Brexit would like us to 'just leave' and throw our lot in with other trading partners such as the Trump-led US, the despotic and ambitious Chinese and probably the Saudis as well rather than deal with other Europeans (yes, we are) with whom we as a country and culture have far more in common.
We can’t cherry pick according to the EU, and have our cake and eat it. The EU is not for turning

Pete Burrett

We can’t cherry pick according to the EU, and have our cake and eat it. The EU is not for turning
For the reasons ZtH has stated! If one gets away with cherry picking, they'll all want to, which means the EU effectively no longer exists.

Navegante

They pay the EU money and follow EU rules without actually being a member, so unable to wield and influence when it comes to decision making.

"The relations between Switzerland and the European Union (EU) are framed by a series of bilateral treaties whereby the Swiss Confederation has adopted various provisions of European Union law in order to participate in the Union's single market, without joining as a member state."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland–European_Union_relations

Peterdev

For the reasons ZtH has stated! If one gets away with cherry picking, they'll all want to, which means the EU effectively no longer exists.
I wonder why these talks have gone on so long if there is going to be no give and take. May says it’s 95% done and dusted, presumably she means the thorny position relating to Ireland. I don’t know how that 5% will be resolved.
I’m sure the EU would like the situation sorted one way or another so that they can try and resolve the pressing issues inSpain and Greece.
I still think some deal could be done, the risk being that there could be a leadership battle in the Tory ranks, or maybe a general election with an uncertain income, and possibly back to the drawing board.
Currently the financial markets are in turmoil and I’m sure most people just want the government to get on with the task the electorate voted them in to do.

Peterdev

Also see now the EU has rejected the Italian budget. They have been overspending for years and it’ll be interesting how the ramifications of that unfold over the coming months.

Foley

They could give us a better deal than for example Canada have.
Don't forget that when you say they can't give us a good deal, the worse deal we get the morevislt will adversely affect the EU Countries. So as gas been said it could be very bad news for Spain Greece and Italy.

Foley

Really Pete? Many countries have different deals with the EU. I can't see how a compromise can't be found (Ireland however is clearly a sticking point).
The EU is built on flimsy you rations if the EU doesn't exist due to one Country getting a compromise deal?

Top Bottom