General Brannagan & Co to stay and take us to the championship?or not....

It’s the knee injury for Cam that’s the issue. Suspected ligament damage. Scan Monday. Club are very worried about the seriousness.
With all due respect, the extent of any damage will be almost impossible to tell without a scan. A strain, partial tear, complete tear could all show pain, bruising, swelling and immobility. The club will of course be concerned because it is far too early to speculate on the outcome.

With all due respect, the extent of any damage will be almost impossible to tell without a scan. A strain, partial tear, complete tear could all show pain, bruising, swelling and immobility. The club will of course be concerned because it is far too early to speculate on the outcome.

Not quite so.

Complete ruptures are usually very evident on clinical examination, the laxity can be terrifyingly pronounced. Usually the swelling is immediate and massive if it's ACL.

As a professional sportsman, the club will always arrange scanning regardless of suspected severity because they can; but it is very reasonable to express a worry about an acute ligament rupture before a scan is conducted.

The art of clinical examination is not (quite) dead!

Last edited:
That’s why I said suspected. It’s his medial collateral ligament that the club are concerned about. Let’s hope it’s not as serious as the club think.

Why was Brannagan allowed to play on for so long if he opened up his knee ? The block tackle happened in the first fifteen minutes or so.
He was subbed at H/T. The ball to Brannagan was a hospital pass.

Brannagan is better than most who play in his role in the premiership, now we all know why Liverpool held him such high regard what a player he really is. He would walk into any championship team easily....

Huuuuuge loss if Cameron is out for any period of time, but at least Shandon looked back to form, good on the ball when he came on Yesterday. This could be Shandon's big chance to get a run of games.

Why was Brannagan allowed to play on for so long if he opened up his knee ? The block tackle happened in the first fifteen minutes or so.
He was subbed at H/T. The ball to Brannagan was a hospital pass.

This is a fair point. If the damage was bad surely it wouldnt even have been possible for him to continue?
Unless it wasn't initially bad, but he made it worse by playing on...

Knee ligaments are a strange injury, I tore mine playing football and played on for twenty minutes, it’s not so much painful as uncomfortable and it locks and restricts movement, can feel like a lesser injury that you can run off until you realise that’s not happening. The strong legs a professional footballer has will mask it to some extent as well, some Rugby players can not even realise they have done any damage for ages as the muscles in their legs are able to compensate for the problems the injury causes (although the twisty, turny nature of football makes it a worse injury for a footballer to suffer in my opinion.

Had an ACL replacement and while it is a big improvement for everyday general life no way would I go back to playing football after. Obviously completely different for a very fit, young pro who will have top rehab, but I still hope it’s minimal damage which at most requires a clear out, he was walking as if he had done something in his knee, hopefully it’s meniscus or cartilage rather than ligament damage, much more straightforward recovery from those.

Knee ligaments are a strange injury, I tore mine playing football and played on for twenty minutes, it’s not so much painful as uncomfortable and it locks and restricts movement, can feel like a lesser injury that you can run off until you realise that’s not happening. The strong legs a professional footballer has will mask it to some extent as well, some Rugby players can not even realise they have done any damage for ages as the muscles in their legs are able to compensate for the problems the injury causes (although the twisty, turny nature of football makes it a worse injury for a footballer to suffer in my opinion.

Had an ACL replacement and while it is a big improvement for everyday general life no way would I go back to playing football after. Obviously completely different for a very fit, young pro who will have top rehab, but I still hope it’s minimal damage which at most requires a clear out, he was walking as if he had done something in his knee, hopefully it’s meniscus or cartilage rather than ligament damage, much more straightforward recovery from those.

I snapped my ACL playing basketball and it was excruciatingly painful. If you slightly tear or twinge a ligament I can see how it might not be uncomfortable rather than painful but you'd 100% know if it was a significant or complete tear.

I snapped my ACL playing basketball and it was excruciatingly painful. If you slightly tear or twinge a ligament I can see how it might not be uncomfortable rather than painful but you'd 100% know if it was a significant or complete tear.

Mine hurt when I tore it but the pain subsided very quickly, it was certainly nothing compared to breaking my ankle playing football, that made me want to crawl into the ground.

This is a fair point. If the damage was bad surely it wouldnt even have been possible for him to continue?
Unless it wasn't initially bad, but he made it worse by playing on...

I reckon he did it on stroke of halftime went in for a 50/50 ball waist height but he was going in side footed an got battered back the other way looked nasty hope hes ok

Mine hurt when I tore it but the pain subsided very quickly, it was certainly nothing compared to breaking my ankle playing football, that made me want to crawl into the ground.
Sounds like you’re an accident waiting to happen!

Well we can all guess at what he has done, but Monday will be definitive.
We will know what the damage is and roughly how long he will be out for.

Our season doesn’t hang on the balance of this, but it is a potential blow.

Saw it clearly, it was a hard block tackle, I’ve done the same, worst case I reckon is 6-8 weeks, it is bloody painful, mind you with all the physio etc they get, it might not be as bad as we all think.....

I did my MCL a few years ago, playing 5-a-side football. Felt like someone hit a hammer against the inside of my knee and I could only hobble around in goal for the last few minutes and struggled to drive home afterwards. Took about 3 months to heal I think, without any form of physio advice. If he played on, there's no way it's as bad as mine, so hopefully it's a slight twinge which will heal quite quickly.

So why was he allowed to play so many minutes after the injury? Odd.

The annoying thing is, I’d rather be didn’t go for the challenge. It was a poor ball by Fosu which Brannagan wasn’t set/positioned correctly to make the tackle. It wasn’t in a dangerous place on the pitch which if he’d left it their player was just going to hoof it up the park anyway.

Having said all that, it’s the way Brannagan plays e.g. he wouldn’t pull out of a tackle if the opposition player was 99% in favour of winning it.

Massive shame for him, but hope if he is sidelined that it’s for a very short period.

If he can't put any weight on the knee what so ever, which is what the report today says, it's not looking good for Brannagan. The adrenaline of a game can sometimes get you hobbling along a bit, but to not even be able to put weight on it a couple of days later is very worrying. The odds of it being a 4-6 week job are probably quite slim if that's where it's at, which would be devastating news. He's so important and has been in superb form this season.

Back
Top Bottom