Dot Counting Blackpool 10k - Oct 21st

Attendance tracking
But the TV income will far outweigh the inconvenience felt to some fans, I quite like the idea of Friday night, Saturday night and Monday night games. Saturday 3pm games were perfect back in the day when most people worked 9-5 Monday to Friday but nowadays alot of work places are 24/7 , 365 days a year.
Football isn’t a TV show but Sky have made it seem that way. Football is for fans and by having games all over the place might be ok for home fans but what about all the away fans? Without away fans it can be a very sterile atmosphere and moving KO times will affect this.

You are Rupert Murdoch, and I claim my £5.

It's that sort of attitude (to inconveniencing matchgoing fans) that will be the death of the game, when the TV companies eventually get fed up with it, as there will then be no fans left to pick up the game due to the TV companies driving them all away.

Remember, football is not football without the fans.

Looking at Premier league and Championship attendance figures now and from 20 years ago it's clear as day TV hasn't had a negative impact on the game and fans attending matches. Clubs and fans get plenty of notice (more than we have for international call up postponements) that a game is to be rearranged.

TV companies will never get fed up with it as it brings them in so much income from advertisement.

Football isn’t a TV show but Sky have made it seem that way. Football is for fans and by having games all over the place might be ok for home fans but what about all the away fans? Without away fans it can be a very sterile atmosphere and moving KO times will affect this.

I'm guessing you don't watch much Championship or Premier league football on TV?

I get your point about away fans and it probably would be that case in possibly league one or league 2 where it limits the away crowd but not in the Premier League or Championship. Watching a game on TV is not the same as being in the ground and it never will be no matter how much technology advances.

Getting up to the championship and the away end at the Kassam will be sold out for nearly every game regardless if it's on TV and not a 3pm Saturday kick off.

Likewise our fans will travel in big numbers to all away games.

But the TV income will far outweigh the inconvenience felt to some fans, I quite like the idea of Friday night, Saturday night and Monday night games. Saturday 3pm games were perfect back in the day when most people worked 9-5 Monday to Friday but nowadays alot of work places are 24/7 , 365 days a year.

Money is more important than supporters?

Looking at Premier league and Championship attendance figures now and from 20 years ago it's clear as day TV hasn't had a negative impact on the game and fans attending matches. Clubs and fans get plenty of notice (more than we have for international call up postponements) that a game is to be rearranged.

TV companies will never get fed up with it as it brings them in so much income from advertisement.
Ask the Brentford fans the ones who had to change their plans not once but twice this season because sky wanted to show their match against Newcastle (away) oh and the second one was short notice

But do you know what football fans don't have a say in of their game gets moved or what time the game will be played... I prefer league one 😀

Money is more important than supporters?

Let's be honest, we're not talking about £5. Wycombe when they were promoted to the championship gained over £14 million in one season from TV rights and extra advertising.

I won't be missing games just because Sky decide to give us much needed exposure on the TV just as I haven't for league one, fa cup and league cup games that have been rearranged in the past.

Ask the Brentford fans the ones who had to change their plans not once but twice this season because sky wanted to show their match against Newcastle (away) oh and the second one was short notice

But do you know what football fans don't have a say in of their game gets moved or what time the game will be played... I prefer league one 😀

It seems teams in the Premier League get more TV exposure than the Championship anyways.

I wonder how long until league one is shown more on tv and games rearranged to suit? Even Oxford city's game at the weekend was a later kick off due to being shown on TV.

You are Rupert Murdoch, and I claim my £5.

It's that sort of attitude (to inconveniencing matchgoing fans) that will be the death of the game, when the TV companies eventually get fed up with it, as there will then be no fans left to pick up the game due to the TV companies driving them all away.

Remember, football is not football without the fans.
Yeah but I want to sit in my armchair and watch live football on TV every evening of every day of the year.

My wife got custody of the kids but it's Burnley -v- Crystal Palace tonight and I've loaded up the acca.

Yeah but I want to sit in my armchair and watch live football on TV every evening of every day of the year.

My wife got custody of the kids but it's Burnley -v- Crystal Palace tonight and I've loaded up the acca.

Even though your post was being sarcastic you're not far off the truth of alot of today's society. 🤣

It seems teams in the Premier League get more TV exposure than the Championship anyways.

I wonder how long until league one is shown more on tv and games rearranged to suit? Even Oxford city's game at the weekend was a later kick off due to being shown on TV.

You won’t have to wonder for long, new FL Sky deal means more early kick offs as Sky will be showing more league one/two games in the new package that starts 24/25 season, 5 early 12.30pm games every Saturday across the two divisions I believe.

Why has the title been changed to 10k when I originally posted about trying to sell out the home ends?

Well it didn't work last time they tried large-scale exposure of lower-league football, just ask those involved in ITV digital.

Sure, that was 20 years ago, but you really have to wonder whether there's much of a national appetite for Cheltenham vs Fleetwood.

The bubble will burst.

Well it didn't work last time they tried large-scale exposure of lower-league football, just ask those involved in ITV digital.

Sure, that was 20 years ago, but you really have to wonder whether there's much of a national appetite for Cheltenham vs Fleetwood.

The bubble will burst.

The appetite to watch your own lower league team is there, we see that with those who watch on dodgy streams every week but because of the increasingly ridiculous 3pm blackout we are going to end up with more games moved around. Its forever 1992 at Football league headquarters, probably still got a satellite dish stuck up outside.

The appetite to watch your own lower league team is there, we see that with those who watch on dodgy streams every week but because of the increasingly ridiculous 3pm blackout we are going to end up with more games moved around. Its forever 1992 at Football league headquarters, probably still got a satellite dish stuck up outside.

Yeah, absolutely there is. And thanks to the blackout, it's criminally under utilised.

I don't think there's much appeal for random, non-subscription league 1 among the masses though.

It's great that they will be showing more league one and two matches... I just don't think there is an appetite for it outside of the teams fans for eg a top match in the premier league ( Liverpool Vs man city) that would get an audience in the millions a top match in the championship ( Leicester Vs Southampton) again you could expect at least a million maybe just short but you ent getting those figures for a top match in league one ( Oxford Vs Portsmouth) you'd be lucky getting in the hundreds thousands..... personally for me I'd probably watch lower league more than premier league because I'm more interested in the lower leagues

Sorry, but that isn't something I have any sympathy with at all. I have quite a few things in my life as well as football - and Friday and Saturday nights are when quite a lot of them happen. As it is I make sure that Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings are pretty much kept free - especially the former. And many of us still do work 9-5 or so. I am an exile (about 90 minutes away) so getting to the stadium on a Tuesday night in time to get parked up and have something to eat etc before kick off means leaving before 5. That's OK occasionally, but let's not get into evening matches scattered throughout the week.

That may just be 'inconvenience' - but it is *bloody* inconvenient. Once we go down the 'football clubs are just businesses and their supporters are just customers' route, so inconveniencing them (or at worst meaning they simply won't turn up) doesn't matter, then it's a slippery slope. Friday night and Saturday night matches would mean that I couldn't attend a whole heap of them.

It's great that they will be showing more league one and two matches... I just don't think there is an appetite for it outside of the teams fans for eg a top match in the premier league ( Liverpool Vs man city) that would get an audience in the millions a top match in the championship ( Leicester Vs Southampton) again you could expect at least a million maybe just short but you ent getting those figures for a top match in league one ( Oxford Vs Portsmouth) you'd be lucky getting in the hundreds thousands..... personally for me I'd probably watch lower league more than premier league because I'm more interested in the lower leagues
I don't believe Sky are getting anywhere near a million viewers for Championship football. Trying to find some figures, all I could find with recent info on is this link...

...where it states...

1696234657477.png

That's 8M viewers for 5 Premier League matches combined, in a story that is headlined as 'Premier League opening weekend viewership up 40% as 8m tune into Sky Sports'

If that's the case, I expect you'd be under half a million easily for a top Championship game.

Sorry, but that isn't something I have any sympathy with at all. I have quite a few things in my life as well as football - and Friday and Saturday nights are when quite a lot of them happen. As it is I make sure that Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings are pretty much kept free - especially the former. And many of us still do work 9-5 or so. I am an exile (about 90 minutes away) so getting to the stadium on a Tuesday night in time to get parked up and have something to eat etc before kick off means leaving before 5. That's OK occasionally, but let's not get into evening matches scattered throughout the week.

That may just be 'inconvenience' - but it is *bloody* inconvenient. Once we go down the 'football clubs are just businesses and their supporters are just customers' route, so inconveniencing them (or at worst meaning they simply won't turn up) doesn't matter, then it's a slippery slope. Friday night and Saturday night matches would mean that I couldn't attend a whole heap of them.

On the other hand, playing the game not at the traditional 3pm Saturday kick off could open up the opportunity for other exiles to either attend or watch on TV where they wouldn't of been able to before.

Swings and roundabouts.

Yeah, absolutely there is. And thanks to the blackout, it's criminally under utilised.

I don't think there's much appeal for random, non-subscription league 1 among the masses though.

Completely agree, the model should be based on streaming to fans of the clubs playing as they are the only people going to watch it anyway, that doesn't require moving matches as these are the sort of people who if they could get to a game would be going, they just can't for whatever reason, The annoying thing is this could be happening next season but we have been saddled with worst of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom