Matches Blackpool Fan in Peace

Had one of my best gig experiences in Blackpool. Radiohead in the Empress Ballroom in 2006. Jam packed. Fantastic set. Sprung dance floor, so when they launched into 2+2=5 and the crowd went full pogo it was like standing on a trampoline. Also saw a bloke shout 'Let's get up the f*****g front' just after the first song and push his way through, then 2 songs later stretched out unconscious... mental.

Hated the place though, but I guess it wasn't helped by it being FA Cup Final day (Liverpool v West Ham) and everyone there being completely off their tits by about 5pm. Did see a hen party all dressed as sexy Indians though, so not all bad...

Most seaside towns are better than Blackpool to be fair.
Is it just me who finds most seaside towns a bit, well, s**t...?

A bit run-down, battered and bruised by the sea, selling tat, give me a nice little town or city with a nice little river running through it anyday.

Had one of my best gig experiences in Blackpool. Radiohead in the Empress Ballroom in 2006. Jam packed. Fantastic set. Sprung dance floor, so when they launched into 2+2=5 and the crowd went full pogo it was like standing on a trampoline. Also saw a bloke shout 'Let's get up the f*****g front' just after the first song and push his way through, then 2 songs later stretched out unconscious... mental.

Hated the place though, but I guess it wasn't helped by it being FA Cup Final day (Liverpool v West Ham) and everyone there being completely off their tits by about 5pm. Did see a hen party all dressed as sexy Indians though, so not all bad...
Do any of Radiohead support Oxford? A lot of their stuff isn't really my bag but "Creep" is a masterpiece I must admit.

Do any of Radiohead support Oxford? A lot of their stuff isn't really my bag but "Creep" is a masterpiece I must admit.
I've heard rumours that Phil Selway may do, but doubt the rest would have much interest in football.

But still better than Supergrass' Gaz Coombes who is a plastic Manc.

Is it just me who finds most seaside towns a bit, well, s**t...?

A bit run-down, battered and bruised by the sea, selling tat, give me a nice little town or city with a nice little river running through it anyday.

Those sort of seaside towns are but many seaside towns aren't. Tenby, Whitby and Newquay to name 3.

Jaywick and Southend would probably be worse.

Southend is technically on the Thames estuary and while I agree its not that nice it's slightly better then Blackpoo.

Jaywick I forgot about but since they don't advertise to visit the place its not really a seaside tourist town.

I've heard rumours that Phil Selway may do, but doubt the rest would have much interest in football.

But still better than Supergrass' Gaz Coombes who is a plastic Manc.
Phil Selway is definitely an Oxford fan.
Ed O’Brien is a Man United fan.
Johnny Greenwood had some stickers on one of his Telecasters that said ‘Wednesday til I die’, so perhaps he’s an Owls fan. Not sure he’s ever said anything about it though.

Let's be honest though they are better than us (and the other two as the league table shows), I was worried about us making the play-offs and getting battered and it proved to be so.

No fawning over Blackpool the place by me though, it is, by anyone's standards, a shithole. But the team, yeah, they're ok. Will probably stay up next season, I have a weird feeling all 3 promoted teams will stay up.
It’s not so much that Bksckpool are great, we just didn’t know how to play against them. I reckon we’d have beaten the other two.

Southend is technically on the Thames estuary and while I agree its not that nice it's slightly better then Blackpoo.

Jaywick I forgot about but since they don't advertise to visit the place its not really a seaside tourist town.

Whilst I agree technically it is estuary, I'm fairly certain Southend markets itself (or has in the past) as the seaside.

And Blackpool beats Southend simply by having the Lakeland fells visible in the distance. About the only good thing about Blackpool though and I'd prefer to drive by and go directly to the Fells.

Whilst I agree technically it is estuary, I'm fairly certain Southend markets itself (or has in the past) as the seaside.

And Blackpool beats Southend simply by having the Lakeland fells visible in the distance. About the only good thing about Blackpool though and I'd prefer to drive by and go directly to the Fells.

Southend has the longest pier and also every corner shop isn't selling willy shaped lollies. Give me newquay, torquay, Perranporth any day of the week they are a great British seaside towns.

Southend has the longest pier and also every corner shop isn't selling willy shaped lollies. Give me newquay, torquay, Perranporth any day of the week they are a great British seaside towns.

Still no Lakeland Fells but agree on your 2nd sentence.

Lot of decent small places all over Cornwall, such as Porthleven, a place that does what it wants.

Blackpool seaside is run down like others have said the council are only interested in Tourism but Fleetwood on the other hand is well words can’t describe

I agree. “Oh there’s absolutely no shame in being beaten by the best team we’ve ever seen at the Kassam, we should feel honoured just to be on the same pitch as those tangerine Gods, we actually did brilliantly to limit them to just the three goals...”

We lost 3-0 at home to a team who weren’t good enough to finish in the top 2. It wasn’t good enough.
It wasn't good enough because we weren't good enough.

There's no shame in admiring how a team beat us either. In fact, rather than myopically blaming our own players and looking inward at where we fell short, looking at how Blackpool set themselves up, pressed us high and utilised set pieces and counter attacks may give us some clues to why it 'wasn't good enough'. Of all the games that we're likely to pick the bones out of in more detail than regular league games, this was one of them.

I was impressed with Blackpool and not ashamed to say that. Obvious jealousy that they're very much in the driving seat is very much behind it. I don't sign up to the school of thought that they're still favourites for promotion though. There's plenty of quality and fight in Lincoln (and Sunderland who aren't out of it) to give them a really good game. We very much look like the team that finished last of the four play off sides so plenty of work to do for next season.

Back
Top Bottom