Ex Player Best Player - Post 1990

Fuck yeah! Are you a Vogon mind-reader? Really shallow terrace, unimpressive bappage? I was there.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Surely you have to include Bobby Ford? That game in the cup at The Dell, and the goal that he scored, has to have been one of the best individual performances ever by a U's player.

And I'd echo the shout-out for Jim Magilton. True class.

Surely you have to include Bobby Ford? That game in the cup at The Dell, and the goal that he scored, has to have been one of the best individual performances ever by a U's player.

Could you fit them both in the same side, though?

I mean Bobby Ford almost literally replaced Jimmy Magic in the Oxford side. His last action in yellow was scoring the epic winner against Leeds, and Bobby made his first ever League start three days later!

My brother once saw Mark Angel and Martin Aldridge punching two bags of s**t out of each other because they were both trying to pull the same girl in town. For that reason alone, they must both be included.
I think I might have been with them that night, can definitely remember them having a fall out one night in 5th. Those were good days. RIP Martin, what a good guy he was too as well as being a great striker.

It wasn't a terrace, it was just about sloped concrete. I'd been there a few times (and for this game) to what is a very old school ground and sadly no more.
We were in the side seats, the toilets were overflowing and closed off so at half time we were told we could leave the ground and go to the nearby leisure centre for a pee. Now that takes tinpot to a whole new level.

We were in the side seats, the toilets were overflowing and closed off so at half time we were told we could leave the ground and go to the nearby leisure centre for a pee. Now that takes tinpot to a whole new level.

I may be remembering wrongly but I think they were having problems with the stadium landlords then and I think ultimately led to them having to leave the place.

They also had an 'interesting' owner at the time. Again, from memory, I think Mark Cooper was their manager.

An interesting (almost unbelievable) point that I've noticed tonight - when we signed Paul Moody in Feb '94, he was 26 years old and had just one senior goal to his name.
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/Paul_Moody

I'm just imagining what the reaction would be if in the next couple of days we sign a striker at that age with that record! I suppose if they turn out half as good as Moody then we'd all take that. Super strong, great in the air, excellent finisher. That first goal in his hat-trick at Cardiff is one of my favourite OUFC goals ever, and unlike Gino's solo goal, Moods actually knew what he was doing. I was only 1 at the time so I'm going off youtube rather than memory, but the sheer class of it just makes me think of that Bergkamp goal against Newcastle which still gets shown in all the highlight reels of best ever PL goals. Except I think Moods' is better! He also scored the first OUFC hat-trick at the Kassam unless I am mistaken?

So worth noting that Windass only score 15 league goals in his one season with the club (playing on a genuinely bad team, admittedly). Definitely some moments of high quality, but I'm not sure that's quite enough volume to make Oxford's 'Best Ever (since 1990) XI'? Not when he's competing against someone like Moods who had two and a third epic seasons after joining (even if the two seasons were at a lower level).

Course you could make the argument that the single best season by an Oxford striker since 1990 was Nigel Jemson in 1996/97.......it would be an easier argument to make if he hadn't been such a t**t, and so useless in his second spell!

It’s not who did best for oxford ….it’s who was the best player.

By all accounts Gerard or Grobbelar should be in goal, Jonjo from Everton at right back and Windass over Moody

I remember that game so well. We deserved to win. Also the away end (down the side) at the Dell was a death trap of narrow corridors and wooden seats

Bobby was insane that day

An interesting (almost unbelievable) point that I've noticed tonight - when we signed Paul Moody in Feb '94, he was 26 years old and had just one senior goal to his name.
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/Paul_Moody

I'm just imagining what the reaction would be if in the next couple of days we sign a striker at that age with that record! I suppose if they turn out half as good as Moody then we'd all take that. Super strong, great in the air, excellent finisher. That first goal in his hat-trick at Cardiff is one of my favourite OUFC goals ever, and unlike Gino's solo goal, Moods actually knew what he was doing. I was only 1 at the time so I'm going off youtube rather than memory, but the sheer class of it just makes me think of that Bergkamp goal against Newcastle which still gets shown in all the highlight reels of best ever PL goals. Except I think Moods' is better! He also scored the first OUFC hat-trick at the Kassam unless I am mistaken?
I was there at Cardiff, and yes it was sheer class. Great day out but the locals weren’t too happy with the result and walking back to the car after the match was “interesting.”

It’s not who did best for oxford ….it’s who was the best player.

By all accounts Gerard or Grobbelar should be in goal, Jonjo from Everton at right back and Windass over Moody
Did Grobbelar actually play a match for us though? If it's best player, not best for us, then Baldock is a better RB than Jonjo in my view.

I’m sure Bruce G never played for us. Always turned up. Just his presence was enough evidently

How about poor old Garry Smart? Somehow went his whole career without a single goal to his credit. I always remember him being light on challenges and backing off from the opposing players.
Joey and Cameron for me have to be of the two most gifted players we ever have had playing for us

Back
Top Bottom