Ex Player A-Z Best and Worst Players (continued)

In a weird twist, he got better as we got worse. He was widely rounded on by most under the Rix/Diaz spell and deservedly so, but improved in the relegation team. Jon Ashton and an ageing Matt Robinson were the main reason for us having a leaky defence in 2005-06.

Did Matt Robinson leave and become a policeman or have I completely made that up?

Neil Slatter ended his career in 1991after a knee injury and became a policeman in Cardiff where he has been for over fifteen years

I think some of those classed as Worst were ok, eg Phil Gray and Gavin Johnson. They were just reaching the end of their careers but they weren’t awful for us.

Also going to stick up for Jemson.

Our first season in the championship he was unbelievable for us. I get he wasn’t overly popular amongst the squad and Moody confirmed that on a podcast back in the summer.

Also add in Alex Dyer. He was very underrated imo. A very good technique whilst always being so calm!! Nice bloke as well and always was very enthusiastic when doing the training etc for the Oxford Juniors.

Alex Dyer's goal at Leicester, just superb.

Best

S - (Gary) Smart ... never, ever scored for OUFC, but a decent full back/ defender. Nevermind his goalscoring (lack of) prowess, the amount of times , through his defensive positioning for set pieces, he cleared the ball off our goal-line were countless

Last edited:
Did Matt Robinson leave and become a policeman or have I completely made that up?
He was certainly training to be one and a few football reports not long after he left us allude to it.

Kevin Francis also became a police officer in Canada after his retirement. His quite literal long arm of the law has been apprehending criminals in Calgary.

Best

B (Steve ) Biggins .... quite a prolific striker in his time with us, - though he netted quite a few, he was ,surprisingly never a fans favourite, and thats despite him scoring the winner in extra time, in the 2nd replay of the league cup tie V Man U - who were at the time managed by Big Ron ( and our manager was Jim Smith)

I thought Lee Mansell was appalling , absolutely appalling. Utter crap.

Never rated John Milkins either. Brian McDermott was useless in my view as was Steve McClaren

Scott McNiven was OK. Andy McCulloch was poor. Ian McCaldon , a very average ‘keeper.

Mark Watson a committed and pretty good centre back I thought !!
Brian Wilsterman ..£200k from Beerschot I think ...not a good investment
I don't think Mark Watson was particularly committed. The club made continuous efforts during the close season to tie him down to a new contract....but with no reply from his end. I feel it was a failure from both sides, to be honest. A very good player, none the less.

I don't think Mark Watson was particularly committed. The club made continuous efforts during the close season to tie him down to a new contract....but with no reply from his end. I feel it was a failure from both sides, to be honest. A very good player, none the less.
I did mean in style of play rather than to the club tbh .

Back
Top Bottom