Ex Player A-Z Best and Worst Players (continued)

Marvellous stuff. I think van Kessel would walk into the "worst V" or, failing that, "worst K" - he was one of the worst professional footballers I've ever seen.
Think this is where we are at

A
Best: Aldridge (Atkinson x 3 in here too)
Worst: Anthrobus

B
Best: Beauchamp, Byrne, Briggs Brock Burton, Beavon
Worst: Brevett, Burnell, Buckley-Ricketts, W. Biggins Brown

C
Best: Cadden, Cassidy, Colin Clarke, Curran, Constable, Caton Corbo, Cassells
Worst: Carruthers, Cain, Jake Cole, Dave Collins, Capaldi (I'm putting forward Andy Campbell here too - we signed him for three months on loan and gave up playing him after one)

D
Best: Durnin, Dickie
Worst: E. Diaz, Dempster, Deegan, O'Neill Donaldson, Druce, Doudou, Donovan

E
Best: Elliott, Ceri Evans
Worst: E'Beyer, Paul Evans (knackered and unfit pro who briefly played for us in our third season in the Conference)

F
Best: B. Ford, M. Ford, Foley, Foyle
Worst: Fear, Futcher

G
Best: Jordan Graham, Gilchrist
Worst: Gabbiadini, Phil Gray, Gaston, John Grant, Gnanduillet, Guatelli, Gnohere, Grebis, Franny Green

H
Best: Hebberd, Houghton, Hamilton
Worst: Hatswell, Hoban, Hutchinson

I

Best: Ismael

Worst: Ismael

J

Best Jemson, Judge

Worst Jakubiak, Jeannin, Johnson

K

Best Kenny, Kyle.

Worst Kitson, Kee

L

Best Langan, Leworthy, Lundstram

Worst Ledgister, G Long, Lythgoe

M

Best MAgilton, Moody b McDonald Maguire, Mustoe

Worst Morgan Morris McDermott McGuckin Mike Mehmeti

N

Best Nelson, nogan

Worst Narbet, Newey

O

Best O'Dowda, Obita, Oldfield

Worst Obi, Obika, O'dowd

P

Best L Philips, Powell, Purse, J Phillips

Worst Pekalski, Pitt. Philiskirk

Q

Best B Quinn, Quartermain

Worst R Quinn

R

Best Rush, Rhodes, Rhodes-Brown, Roofe, Robinson

Worst Roach, Raynes, Reck

S

Best Saunders, Seacole, Shotton, Slatter, Shuker, Simpson, Sloan

Worst Salmon, Sall, smart, Shepherd, Slabber,Sills, Smith-Brown, Sappleton, Santos, Sangare, Sall

T

Best L Tayl, Trewick, M Taylor. M Tait

Worst P Tait, Tiendalli.

U

Best

Worst

V

Best Veysey

Worst

W

Best D Whitehead, P Whitehead, Walker, Windass

Worst Whittingham

X

Best Xemi

Worst Xemi

Y

Best

Worst

Z

Best Zebroski

Worst Zebroski
Surely Van Kessel under V or K for worst. Given his service, surely sneaking wright into best under W too.

Surely Van Kessel under V or K for worst. Given his service, surely sneaking wright into best under W too.

For his actual achievements here Wright probably does have the strongest shout to be the best player under the letter W, two promotions, played a big role in getting this club back to a respectable level, like the anti Kassam. All of that while being a 5 ft midget playing at centre half, his impact here is probably underplayed, hard to think another Oxford player who has achieved as much this century.

Updated.

A

B
Best: Beauchamp, Byrne, Briggs Brock Burton, Beavon, Barron

C
Worst: Carruthers, Cain, Jake Cole, Dave Collins, Capaldi (I'm putting forward Andy Campbell here too - we signed him for three months on loan and gave up playing him after one)

D

E
Worst: E'Beyer, Paul Evans (knackered and unfit pro who briefly played for us in our third season in the Conference)

F

G
Worst: Gabbiadini, Phil Gray, Gaston, John Grant, Gnanduillet, Guatelli, Gnohere, Grebis, Franny Green

H

I

J

Best Jemson, Judge

K

Best Kenny, Kyle.

Worst Kitson, Kee

L

M

N

Best Nelson, nogan

Worst Narbet, Newey

O

Worst Obi, Obika, O'dowd

P

Q

Worst R Quinn

R

Best Rush, Rhodes, Rhodes-Brown, Roofe, Robinson, reece

S

Worst Salmon, Sall, smart, Shepherd, Slabber,Sills, Smith-Brown, Sappleton, Santos, Sangare, Sall

T

Best L Tayl, Trewick, M Taylor. M Tait, A Thomas

Worst P Tait, Tiendalli.

U

Best

Worst

V

Best Veysey

Worst Gino Van Kessel.

W

Best D Whitehead, P Whitehead, Walker, Windass, Whatmore, Whitehurst

Worst Whittingham, Woozley, Woodman, worley

X

Best Xemi

Worst Xemi

Y

Best Yemi (yes it should come under O)

Worst

Z

Best Zebroski

Worst Zebroski, Zamouri

Last edited:
Updated.

A

B
Best: Beauchamp, Byrne, Briggs Brock Burton, Beavon

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

Best Jemson, Judge

K

Best Kenny, Kyle.

Worst Kitson, Kee

L

M

N

Best Nelson, nogan

Worst Narbet, Newey

O

Worst Obi, Obika, O'dowd

P

Q

Worst R Quinn

R

Best Rush, Rhodes, Rhodes-Brown, Roofe, Robinson

S

T

Best L Tayl, Trewick, M Taylor. M Tait, A Thomas

Worst P Tait, Tiendalli.

U

Best

Worst

V

Best Veysey

Worst Gino Van Kessel.

W

Best D Whitehead, P Whitehead, Walker, Windass, Whatmore, Whitehurst

Worst Whittingham, Woozley, Woodman, worley

X

Best Xemi

Worst Xemi

Y

Best Yemi (yes it should come under O)

Worst

Z

Best Zebroski

Worst Zebroski, Zamouri
IMO a couple of omissions in Best Catagory

B - ( Jimmy) Barron ..... for me the best 'Keeper ever for OUFC

R - (Dave) Roberts .... superb defender, would be in my greatest of all time U's line up

To select a winner in each 'short list' letter how about: I start with A. I then choose a poster to do B. They then choose a poster to do C and so on. People can then debate / fight with each other if the selections are not agreed on mass.

A. BEST: Aldridge - pure legend. Atkinson was before my time but right up there,
B. WORST: Anthrobus. A legend in his own right for the wrong reasons.

for B I will select @unification

Also going to stick up for Jemson.

Our first season in the championship he was unbelievable for us. I get he wasn’t overly popular amongst the squad and Moody confirmed that on a podcast back in the summer.

Also add in Alex Dyer. He was very underrated imo. A very good technique whilst always being so calm!! Nice bloke as well and always was very enthusiastic when doing the training etc for the Oxford Juniors.

And Chrissy Allen for A! When he was flying g down the left towards the LRT you always knew something was likely to happen!

Not sure he always knew what that would be but it was very good to watch most of the time!

I think we need an amnesty for some of the 'worst' in that list.

I don't think you can be deemed the worst when you're on the pitch when you beat Swindon and also never touch the ball for us - I think Abdou Sall can be safe. Sangare was far from bad too likewise Raynes.

Whittingham, Worley and Woodman should all be removed too. No terrible players there and one is a bona fide hero for his one game, one goal cameo. Wolleaston, Mark Wilson and Phil Whelan are surely more deserving ahead of those three.

Also, if the authorities would allow it we could have a 'World Cup' style voting tournament for each of best and worst players. We've got a good load of nominations in this thread to create a well rounded tournament to have a group stage and then knockout. We all know that John Aldridge and Emiliano Diaz would end up champions but it may give us an indication of who where everybody ranks everyone else.

Also going to stick up for Jemson.

Our first season in the championship he was unbelievable for us. I get he wasn’t overly popular amongst the squad and Moody confirmed that on a podcast back in the summer.

Also add in Alex Dyer. He was very underrated imo. A very good technique whilst always being so calm!! Nice bloke as well and always was very enthusiastic when doing the training etc for the Oxford Juniors.

J
Best: Jemson (1996-98)
Worst: Jemson (2000)

And Chrissy Allen for A! When he was flying g down the left towards the LRT you always knew something was likely to happen!

Not sure he always knew what that would be but it was very good to watch most of the time!

We should of took the price of a ticket in the London road of his wages for the amount of times his runs ended up with him clattering into the wall. Pure pace and like you say totally unpredictable, when we had him and Simpson then Beauchamp on the other wing we were never boring to watch.

To select a winner in each 'short list' letter how about: I start with A. I then choose a poster to do B. They then choose a poster to do C and so on. People can then debate / fight with each other if the selections are not agreed on mass.

A. BEST: Aldridge - pure legend. Atkinson was before my time but right up there,
B. WORST: Anthrobus. A legend in his own right for the wrong reasons.

for B I will select @unification

Nice.

Ok for B ...

A. BEST: Joey Beauchamp - player of the '90s (excluding bits of 1994-95). Should have made more of his talent, but a hero here nonetheless.
B. WORST: Isaac Buckley-Ricketts - the embodiment of the overpaid, overhyped PL youngster. Thought he had it made (and in fairness probably has done pretty well just from being on the books of Man City) but the reality of what football really is caught up with and passed him by.

I'll nominate @QR to do 'C's.

We should of took the price of a ticket in the London road of his wages for the amount of times his runs ended up with him clattering into the wall. Pure pace and like you say totally unpredictable, when we had him and Simpson then Beauchamp on the other wing we were never boring to watch.
I remember once when Chris Allen had knocked the ball too far past a defender so that he and the ball whet out of play an old voice behind me said 'Colin f*****g Harrington or what,'.

another omission in Best catagory could potentially be

W - (Archie) White, something of an impact sub during his (relatively) short time playing for the U's , a talented youngster who was something ( albeit shortlived) cult hero of the London Road end faithful

I don't see Marvin Robinson on this list. He was marvelous wasn't he?
Or Jamie Guy.
2006 - 2010, the years that keep on giving.

Nice.

Ok for B ...

A. BEST: Joey Beauchamp - player of the '90s (excluding bits of 1994-95). Should have made more of his talent, but a hero here nonetheless.
B. WORST: Isaac Buckley-Ricketts - the embodiment of the overpaid, overhyped PL youngster. Thought he had it made (and in fairness probably has done pretty well just from being on the books of Man City) but the reality of what football really is caught up with and passed him by.

I'll nominate @QR to do 'C's.
C
Best - As much as I liked both Nigel Cassidy and Hugh Curren it's got to be Keith Cassells for me. The start of great times at the Manor.

Worse - they were all pretty nondescript and instantly forgettable but I'll go Capaldi if only because I have sone memory of his awfulness.

@Sarge next. Ta.

R - Leo Roget. Was he as bad as I remember?

In a weird twist, he got better as we got worse. He was widely rounded on by most under the Rix/Diaz spell and deservedly so, but improved in the relegation team. Jon Ashton and an ageing Matt Robinson were the main reason for us having a leaky defence in 2005-06.

Back
Top Bottom