Ex Player Best Player - Post 1990

The disrespect being shown to Brian Wilsterman on this thread is disappointing.

All I can remember about him is the “Willlll” chant when he got near the ball, so he can’t of been Jarman/McGuckin level bad?

Although I wonder if playing at a higher level does some of these players a disservice? The worst players in the conference years must be the at bottom?

All I can remember about him is the “Willlll” chant when he got near the ball, so he can’t of been Jarman/McGuckin level bad?

Although I wonder if playing at a higher level does some of these players a disservice? The worst players in the conference years must be the at bottom?
Will was a perfectly serviceable CB who played most of his career at a high level (certainly much higher than the Conference). In particular the game at Birmingham where we nicked a 1-0 he was immense.
Unfortunately he shat the bed in the Swindon game and a lot of people don't see past this.

Gerrard

Robinson Elliott Dickie Baldock

Maguire Magilton Lundstram Beauchamp

Roofe Windass
Whitehead. Robinson. Elliott. Dickie. Corbeo (seriously). Brannagan. Magilton. Lundstram. Beauchamp. Moody. Roofe. Putting players (sort of) in their correct position. I haven't included Baldock as he was a loanee. Ditto Gerrard.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Whitehead. Robinson. Elliott. Dickie. Corbeo (seriously). Brannagan. Magilton. Lundstram. Beauchamp. Moody. Roofe. Putting players (sort of) in their correct position. I haven't included Baldock as he was a loanee. Ditto Gerrard.
Corbo. I thought he was terrific. He was playing in a dreadful team, but could obviously have played at a much higher level. Anyone who deliberately shoulder barges his winger off the pitch is good enough for me. I would even say (for all older fans) he might have come off best in a scrap with Briggs or Shotton (unless they teamed up).

Corbo. I thought he was terrific. He was playing in a dreadful team, but could obviously have played at a much higher level. Anyone who deliberately shoulder barges his winger off the pitch is good enough for me. I would even say (for all older fans) he might have come off best in a scrap with Briggs or Shotton (unless they teamed up).
I'm not sure he'd take Briggs. Shotton v Corbo would be worth the admittance fee for sure though.

He had bendy legs that went in strange directions.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I cannot believe how many folks put Dickie above Gilchrist. Insane!

By the same age he’d played 100 more games in The championship and went on to be a highly regarded premier league player. Dickie is 26 and has zero premier league games to his name . He may go on to greatness but right now he’s behind Gilly (pace is a big asset at epl level)

By the same age he’d played 100 more games in The championship and went on to be a highly regarded premier league player. Dickie is 26 and has zero premier league games to his name . He may go on to greatness but right now he’s behind Gilly (pace is a big asset at epl level)
Probably a fair few on here who didn't get to see Gilchrist in his first spell.

I think my first stab at a team involving Dickie was influenced by him (and Elliott) being the dominant members of their respective CB pairings, as well as the damage they did offensively.

But yes Gilly certainly was special and in terms of playing an actual hypothetical team, he’d certainly complement Elliott best.

Dickie is far superior to Gilchrist. A much better defender and footballer.

Why?

Do you think the premier league just haven’t spotted Dickie yet? Not being confrontational, and I rate Dickie, but Gilly was in a really strong Leicester team

He was but Robbie Mustoe and Dead Whitehead somehow had long PL careers too. Timing, luck, you’re face just fits, you become a managers favourite, there’s a whole load of reasons why some make it and some don’t. I wouldn’t put Robbie Mustoe in the top 20 midfielders I’ve seen at Oxford but he remains one of the most successful in terms of the heights he reached. Whitehead the same. I’d say Cam Brannagan is as good as both those two yet he’s still in L1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom