Blogs/Podcasts BBC - The Dub: An Oxford Utd Podcast

I think he offers a slightly different perspective as he’s neither a fan or someone who played here for long.

Personally I like his dry sense of humour and his knowledge of the lower leagues and football generally (from both his recent career and his PFA role) offers good insights.

And his relationship with Elek is clearly just a bit of leg pulling which they both engage in.

Fair enough if you’re not a fan, but I rate him personally.
You will be devastated to know that on the same camera that held the famous Lee Fowler photo, there was also a picture of Ben Purkiss pretending to have his hair cut by a barber for a promo gig, while looking absolutely furious because matey boy had grabbed hold of his locks despite promising not to touch him. I managed to get a snap of the exact moment that his eyes looked up as if to say, “Dafuq is this, m8?”

You will be devastated to know that on the same camera that held the famous Lee Fowler photo, there was also a picture of Ben Purkiss pretending to have his hair cut by a barber for a promo gig, while looking absolutely furious because matey boy had grabbed hold of his locks despite promising not to touch him. I managed to get a snap of the exact moment that his eyes looked up as if to say, “Dafuq is this, m8?”
I assume this camera with numerous pictures you had taken of the playing staff needed to be destroyed, because: reasons.

I think he offers a slightly different perspective as he’s neither a fan or someone who played here for long.

Personally I like his dry sense of humour and his knowledge of the lower leagues and football generally (from both his recent career and his PFA role) offers good insights.

And his relationship with Elek is clearly just a bit of leg pulling which they both engage in.

Fair enough if you’re not a fan, but I rate him personally.
I agree. I think that Purkiss adds a different perspective which adds to the pod.

Ben Purkiss wife Marina hosts a great podcast - The Trawl.
Worth a listen if you like yer left wing or anti Tory podcasts

Purkiss gets a bit funny with Jerome on the one after the Leyton Orient win. He’s saying something about it being a good choice to put Negru on, Jerome questions it and Purkiss has a little huff about it. He does seem a bit on edge at times

New episode out today. Both Purkiss and Elek say that Des doesn't need an assistant with EFL experience - madness. Hope the board aren't listening.

Genuinely though, why DO they? Don't they just have to be good coaches of football (a la #DesiBall)? I'm not against it, but I don't see strong arguments for, when in reality we just need 'good coaches' surely?

Genuinely though, why DO they? Don't they just have to be good coaches of football (a la #DesiBall)? I'm not against it, but I don't see strong arguments for, when in reality we just need 'good coaches' surely?

With a head coach with little EFL experience and contacts just starting out am experienced number two who's been there and done it and has contacts in the game would be essential I'd say.

With a head coach with little EFL experience and contacts just starting out am experienced number two who's been there and done it and has contacts in the game would be essential I'd say.

You make out like Dishy Des hasn’t been in the country before. He was with us from 2004 to 2014 and had a season as Stoke City U23s manager. It’s an old fashioned approach nowadays to rely on one person with a contact book. Recruitment is done far more collectively and through analytics rather than through hunches, giving ‘Arry or Big Sam a call for a youngster to bring in on loan or tapping up. If you really want a nudge to the old school, Derek Fazackerly is still here and can be called upon for that. Lo and behold he was part of the hiring team that thought that DB was head and shoulders above the rest.

Hell, if Ramon Diaz could get a tune of Leo Roget for a few months with zero EFL experience and no English to speak of, I think DB can cope with EFL football. Sure it may take some getting used to but this is not some overpromoted nobody we’ve hired.

Back
Top Bottom