General BBC Oxford South Today ended + radio changes

Will you keep paying the licence fee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When people say that they get 'real news' from less mainstream sources on the internet, much of the time what they mean is that they go and find a site that agrees with what they thought in the first place!

That is not to say that we shouldn't be careful about any information we get from *any* part of the internet of course - but some are *obviously* more trustworthy than others (even if I disagree with them!).

How do you verify where you are getting your "real" facts from? Why Is your source so incorruptible?
Every story or report comes from a source, not always easy to find, but worth looking for and not being taken in by spin and half truths.

I am sure we would all want that?

Ok. I’d like to know what the current news is on the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

What would your source for news be for that? Bear in mind I speak neither Russian or Ukrainian.
Research it, you can find reputable local reports which could be translated, always double check against others you find to substantiate the facts.

Research it, you can find reputable local reports which could be translated, always double check against others you find to substantiate the facts.
Interesting that you use the term 'reputable'. In a world context the BBC is one of the most reputable news sources, though of course it has faults.

Define ‘reputable’. How do I determine whether they’re reputable? That’s a value judgment.

Who is to say that the ‘source’ you speak of is reliable?

What you claim to be reading is just as susceptible to the same issues that the ‘MSM’ is. I could find an account from Kharkiv from a pro-Russian person who welcomes the invaders. Likewise, I could find one that argues the opposite. Who do I believe? Both are ‘local reports’.

No account is perfect to dismiss all when many are trainee journalists with no bias either way is a bit off, isn’t it?

Every story or report comes from a source, not always easy to find, but worth looking for and not being taken in by spin and half truths.

I am sure we would all want that?

So for every bit of news you research it and then find the original source to uncover the truth?

That sounds very time consuming.

Without mainstream media how do you even know where to start your search?

So for every bit of news you research it and then find the original source to uncover the truth?

That sounds very time consuming.

Without mainstream media how do you even know where to start your search?
I look at what interests me, could not care less about what doesn't.

Define ‘reputable’. How do I determine whether they’re reputable? That’s a value judgment.

Who is to say that the ‘source’ you speak of is reliable?

What you claim to be reading is just as susceptible to the same issues that the ‘MSM’ is. I could find an account from Kharkiv from a pro-Russian person who welcomes the invaders. Likewise, I could find one that argues the opposite. Who do I believe? Both are ‘local reports’.

No account is perfect to dismiss all when many are trainee journalists with no bias either way is a bit off, isn’t it?
Looking beyond the MSM bullsh*t, even if you get half the truth is surely better than being manipulated.
Your choice, I have mine.

'What interests you'? That sounds a bit like 'what I already believe'.

We’re getting nowhere here with him. This pretty much nails it.

The BBC isn’t perfect by any means but it is an employer of qualified journalists and their output has to reach certain levels of scrutiny. Every story they produce - especially political ones - will have some degree of political slant, selected quotes from sources etc, but they’re not for academic journals or books. They’re news stories for events that emerge over time.

Ox4Eva hasn’t answered a single question on here about his ‘reputable’ sources.

The BBC isn’t perfect by any means but it is an employer of qualified journalists and their output has to reach certain levels of scrutiny. Every story they produce - especially political ones - will have some degree of political slant, selected quotes from sources etc, but they’re not for academic journals or books. They’re news stories for events that emerge over time.

Yes indeed. You only have to watch Orla Guerin, ducking the shells in Ukraine and fiercely determined to get the story across whatever the cost to her, to see that this is a pretty serious organization. *Or is she faking it in a studio at home??*

You do what you want and I will do what I want.
I am sure you are right on the ball with what you are spoon fed.

Reputable sources are those who report information that's been ratified buy others who don't necessarily share their opinions, as in a factual.

Leave it there, and let you get back to your newlines.

Back
Top Bottom