Blogs/Podcasts BBC Sounds Wasn’t At The Game

unification

A whinge in the hope that someone from the BBC Oxford sees this since my email them about it some time ago went unanswered.

If anyone wanted to listen to the WATG show again from last night, you would get 10 minutes of ‘Squad Goals’ from 5Live and then 10 minutes from WATG that is cut off before the end. No further phone callers, no manager or player interviews, no additional insight from Jerome, Nick or Nathan. The next show on Rad Ox starts at 10pm so you can’t choose that to listen to the rest since it doesn’t follow on.

This is a repeat problem for midweek and evening kick off matches. I appreciate the EFL have rules about internet broadcasting and you cannot play any live commentary when a game is still going on but can someone actually upload the full WATG show rather than some truncated version of it?

It’s really annoying.

Tried to listen to that back as im sure Buckingham said there might be new players for the Charlton game in his interview after the game.

Tried to listen to that back as im sure Buckingham said there might be new players for the Charlton game in his interview after the game.

For those attempting to listen again, you don’t have a chance to listen to it.

It’s like they are only allowed to broadcast 20 minutes between 21.40 and 22.00. WATG runs to different times to that and they had more coverage.

The Saturday WATGs on BBC Sounds are fine. It’s the midweek ones that don’t have the full show.

A whinge in the hope that someone from the BBC Oxford sees this since my email them about it some time ago went unanswered.

If anyone wanted to listen to the WATG show again from last night, you would get 10 minutes of ‘Squad Goals’ from 5Live and then 10 minutes from WATG that is cut off before the end. No further phone callers, no manager or player interviews, no additional insight from Jerome, Nick or Nathan. The next show on Rad Ox starts at 10pm so you can’t choose that to listen to the rest since it doesn’t follow on.

This is a repeat problem for midweek and evening kick off matches. I appreciate the EFL have rules about internet broadcasting and you cannot play any live commentary when a game is still going on but can someone actually upload the full WATG show rather than some truncated version of it?

It’s really annoying.
I’m not sure what you mean? Live the show ends at 10 for midweek games, there isn’t any more to put on Sounds.

But this wasn't the case on Friday. The show continued after 10.00pm in order to accommodate the interview with DB.

Last edited:
This is happening a lot now. I emailed when it happened a few years ago, before the WATG rebrand, and I got a reply from Jerome!

I wouldn't expect a reply and a fix over a Bank Holiday weekend though.

I’m not sure what you mean? Live the show ends at 10 for midweek games, there isn’t any more to put on Sounds.
So if you read the opening post for what happened Friday but the show went on an extra 15 minutes? after 10 pm which you are now unable to hear on BBC Sounds.

It’s really annoying.

Think they've read your email, it's perfectly clipped this week (and a good listen).

You can be sure that the club won’t be happy with RadOx for giving Mark Sennett airtime to voice his concerns. But Jerome was fair, diplomatic and put across a counter view point as best he could. But it should be the club and in particular the CEO and Chairman who should be fronting up and answering supporters questions. Stop hiding behind other people.

Sennett did however raise some important points.

The fractured relationship between the club and Oxvox, born out by OxVox recent correspondence.

Sennett’s gave his own experience as OxVox Chair and how important it is to have a good communication between the club and OxVox, the supporter’s trust which represents over a thousand OUFC supporters.

RadOx happy to continue with the five minute fans forum, but the club not keen at all. Sounds like the club doesn’t like having to answer supporter’s awkward questions.

Williams’s reactive and hastily put out puff piece on the official club site with Chris Hackett’s appointment bizarrely buried, and then the head coach having to explain live on air that the club had gone too soon on this.

The supporters frustration is not with owners who are investing huge sums of money into the club, this is acknowledged and appreciated, but with the people who are paid to make themself available to the fan base/supporters trust, to answer questions and concerns. Sometimes these questions are awkward questions, that goes with the territory.

You can be sure that the club won’t be happy with RadOx for giving Mark Sennett airtime to voice his concerns. But Jerome was fair, diplomatic and put across a counter view point as best he could. But it should be the club and in particular the CEO and Chairman who should be fronting up and answering supporters questions. Stop hiding behind other people.

Sennett did however raise some important points.

The fractured relationship between the club and Oxvox, born out by OxVox recent correspondence.

Sennett’s gave his own experience as OxVox Chair and how important it is to have a good communication between the club and OxVox, the supporter’s trust which represents over a thousand OUFC supporters.

RadOx happy to continue with the five minute fans forum, but the club not keen at all. Sounds like the club doesn’t like having to answer supporter’s awkward questions.

Williams’s reactive and hastily put out puff piece on the official club site with Chris Hackett’s appointment bizarrely buried, and then the head coach having to explain live on air that the club had gone too soon on this.

The supporters frustration is not with owners who are investing huge sums of money into the club, this is acknowledged and appreciated, but with the people who are paid to make themself available to the fan base/supporters trust, to answer questions and concerns. Sometimes these questions are awkward questions, that goes with the territory.
Hopefully Sennett’s comments and observations will strengthen the push by OxVox for face to face talks with them and then at a fans forum.
I’m not sure there were ever any difficult/awkward questions on the 5 minute forum.
Tim Williams piece was far too corporate to have written by a journalist, especially Chris Williams.
Agree the owners have been sound.
In my view when a fans forum is announced, fans should indicate their attendance( to facilitate adequate catering ).
Questions should be pre-submitted to ensure answers are given at the forum.
It shouldn’t be on a match day.

Hopefully Sennett’s comments and observations will strengthen the push by OxVox for face to face talks with them and then at a fans forum.
I’m not sure there were ever any difficult/awkward questions on the 5 minute forum.
Tim Williams piece was far too corporate to have written by a journalist, especially Chris Williams.
Agree the owners have been sound.
In my view when a fans forum is announced, fans should indicate their attendance( to facilitate adequate catering ).
Questions should be pre-submitted to ensure answers are given at the forum.
It shouldn’t be on a match day.
The last OxVox update included info on their upcoming meeting with Tim Williams (and a rough date for the Fans Forum, but then we’ve been here before on that front).

Back
Top Bottom