Home Match Build Up 9/5/2021 L1 OUFC v Burton Albion

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if it’s the obsessing over points needed for weeks or whatever, but getting to or not getting to 74 feels significant. If we get a total that would make the playoffs 95% of the time, that feels like a good season whatever happens.

I think the cameras will be shifting back and forth quite a lot on Sunday. Looking forward to it!

The only way we’ll finish above Blackpool is with them losing both games and us winning. Even with one goal margins in all three games, that would be sufficient for us to finish above them, as our goals scored tally is much higher than theirs. So a Doncaster win would be a bonus, but it’s a real long shot to hope Bristol Rovers win at Blackpool, if Blackpool need a result. I’d almost rather Charlton fail to beat Lincoln on Tuesday than Doncaster win - MApp could well rest players ahead of the playoffs and their heads could be down after that travesty at Peterborough. A big win for Charlton and they could get back into the equation for the last game of the season, and overtake us even if we win and Pompey slip up.
Hopefully Joey can get his boys up for that win against the team Fleetwood that have always been in their shadow.

• Love
Reactions: m
So here we are. Down to perhaps the last game of the season.
I really didn’t see us getting this close if I‘m honest. Felt we muffed it up against the wombles, and a few before that but there have been stumbles from all the teams around us that has, incredibly left us with a shot at the playoffs.

All that is left to do is win this last game - No easy feat against a resurgent Burton side who are showing a decent run of form.

It’s not that we are incapable of seeing them off - quite the opposite, we are a very good side who are more than talented enough to trouble anyone.
No, we suffer with a collective stutter sometimes. Forget how superior we are to most of the teams in this division.
It has cost us an automatic place that I believe was very attainable this season.
Should we triumph on Sunday it may still not be enough to see us into a playoff place but you would still have to pay huge tribute to the players and staff for refusing to throw in the towel nearly as quickly as I did.
This game may, or may not be the last 90 minutes of the season.... but if it is to be our final, then please please please, let’s go out with all guns blazing... an Agyeitaylorwinnall fire fest.
If all of our players Leave every last bead of sweat on that pitch and know that there was no more to give, then that is good enough for me.
Win, and something incredible - magical could yet happen.
COYY

I’m not sure why folks go on about Burton’s form. For the last 6 games it is
WDLDWD
Compared to
WWWLWW
for us.

I think it’s really their form since we last played them most are looking at. They’re not the soft touch side we played back in January.

At the time, our 5-1 win left Burton bottom of the table on 13 points, 8 points from safety having played twice more than most of their opponents and they’d won two matches all season. Now they’re on 57 points and well clear of relegation. That’s remarkable form in anyone’s book. They’ve beaten the likes of Peterborough, Hull, Charlton and Portsmouth in that time. I’d put JFH forward for League 1 Manager of the Season. I never saw Burton surviving so easily considering their position at the start of 2021.

Maybe their form is levelling out with the end of season in sight but they’re a team to be respected still.

Hopefully we'll win, that way the lad's have done all they can.

Realistically I can't see Accrington getting anything on Sunday.

I really didn’t see us getting this close if I‘m honest. Felt we muffed it up against the wombles, and a few before that but there have been stumbles from all the teams around us that has, incredibly left us with a shot at the playoffs.

All that is left to do is win this last game - No easy feat against a resurgent Burton side who are showing a decent run of form.

It’s not that we are incapable of seeing them off - quite the opposite, we are a very good side who are more than talented enough to trouble anyone.
No, we suffer with a collective stutter sometimes. Forget how superior we are to most of the teams in this division.
It has cost us an automatic place that I believe was very attainable this season.
Should we triumph on Sunday it may still not be enough to see us into a playoff place but you would still have to pay huge tribute to the players and staff for refusing to throw in the towel nearly as quickly as I did.
This game may, or may not be the last 90 minutes of the season.... but if it is to be our final, then please please please, let’s go out with all guns blazing... an Agyeitaylorwinnall fire fest.
If all of our players Leave every last bead of sweat on that pitch and know that there was no more to give, then that is good enough for me.
COYY
I think that most supporters probably thought that the defeat against Wimbledon was it.
As you say though the players have never given up and 6 wins out of the last 7 was always enough to get very close with 74 points.
It could still happen

COYY
We could get into the playoffs with a draw.

This is the earliest I can remember seeing a buildup thread start! Hopefully it'll live up to the hype - I agree with many that if Portsmouth lose and we do too it'll be heartbreaking, but something just tells me we can do this!

COYY!

For all my frustrations with KR, it’s clear that the players are motivated, behind him and each other. I’ve no doubt that we will win on Sunday.

I shall pray that Nike park her chariot outside the Kassam on Sunday and bless our mighty Yellows!

We have to win. If we fail to win and Pompey do too everyone will melt down.

Oddly, I think the pressure is more on Pompey. We know what we have to do. Get a win and not worry about Pompey.

Pompey know that a draw is not good enough in case we win. They will therefore be desperate to get their win. That can leave them exposed to Accrington who won't roll over and play dead. Accrington won't be thinking about doing us any favours and they won't want to lose.

Think we will both win. Although a couple of quick goals for us will get the nerves flowing and then who knows.

However, if we fall short, it’ll be so frustrating and questions would need to be asked as to why.

It’s all very well saying we are the best team in the league over the last 30 or so games, but it’s the lack of points in the first 15/16 games where the damage was done and ultimately left us playing catch up which in turn left us very little room for error.

This will no doubt be forgotten and KR and the love in media around the club and certain posters on here will deflect it and in turn making it seem we were very unlucky to finish where we did.

For me after 46 games you finish where you deserve so no complaints should be had.

If as looks likely and I’ve no complaints on this, KR is in charge when we go again next season. Lessons HAVE to be learned.

Pre season has to be different. None of this a game every 24/36 hours. The players don’t like it, the science may suggest it works but judging by our recent seasons, it clearly doesn’t for us.

Our business in the whole needs to be done early barring the odd player or two maximum.

Early calls on the OOC players and those due to return is needed. Likewise any bids coming in. Name our price, give it a fortnight in the close season for the deals to be done and then it’s thanks or no thanks.

No uncertainty either way. No distractions.

All of the above is achievable if KR and the board have a clear and focused plan.

Will it happen??

We shall see.

Last edited:
But then we might get pipped by Charlton if they win their last two.

But then we might get pipped by Charlton if they win their last two.
They’re going to have to score a hell of a lot of goals if we win our last and they win there last 2 games that’s allowing for Pompey to get no more than a draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom