Away Match Day Thread 02/01/2021 L1 Burton Albion v OUFC

Great result, how bad were Burton though, see better teams on a Sunday morning at Hackney marshes !
Tbf they are a team in need of direction - "rudderless" as I think Stevie K described them on ifollow - not sure Jimmy Floyd is the man to do it but he will certainly kick ass

Tbf they are a team in need of direction - "rudderless" as I think Stevie K described them on ifollow - not sure Jimmy Floyd is the man to do it but he will certainly kick ass

Bit different from the last time he took over at Burton. Then they were absolutely flying (and to be fair, he did take them on to the League Two title).

We'll see how he goes - but that's a tough job he's stepping into, judging from today.

You are right. New stadiums are usually terrible. But Burton’s Away end is pretty decent. TBF my memories are probably tainted by Chapman’s goal in 2009.
A tidy ground, but the last time we played there, on a Saturday, it was one of the coldest times at a football match. Got back to the car, and the heating was up to full blast, which unusual for me.

That was some performance today. Short of a reserve cb I cant see any need for any new players. We have plenty of good players just hoping for games as cover here already why rock the boat. Poor old Robby hes given five minutes and hes desperate to do something special still think hes got plenty to offer.

Excellent win to cap off a really good Christmas period. Burton were very poor, but we moved the ball around well and scored some really nice goals.

McGuane's improvement of late has been incredible. He must have been doing some serious weight training, because he looks so much stronger and harder to knock off the ball than he did just a couple of months ago.

Long has also come on leaps and bounds. I've been critical of his ability on the ball, but of late he is undoubtedly showing much more quality, especially in the final third. Here's hoping it continues.

Let's hope today is an indication of how things will go in 2021.

Bit different from the last time he took over at Burton. Then they were absolutely flying (and to be fair, he did take them on to the League Two title).

We'll see how he goes - but that's a tough job he's stepping into, judging from today.
They need several League 1 ready replacements in this window to stand any real chance. Dino Maamaria will earn his corn because he is the guy with the up to date knowledge of the league.

A very comprehensive win. Could have been 7 or 8. Some of the football was top drawer, certainly for L1. I think that 2nd half against Northampton has made a huge difference. The confidence has returned and we are now playing with more positivity. Still think Henry is nowhere near his best but there is a slow improvement. So nice to see Cam back. Shodipo is growing on me game by game.

- And finally, will iFollow finally learn how to spell 'Ruffels'?
When Ruffels heads home to complete his hat-trick and put us 6-0 up at the County Ground, from Long's 25th assist of the season, only then will iFollow give him the respect he deserves and the graphic read 'Ruffels'.

I think the reason for our improvement has been the much quicker moving the ball forwards,much less fannying around with it across the back line. Stevens also going long more often and mixing it up helps.

PLAYER RATINGS.

Stevens 9. What a keeper
Long 10 MOTM. Everywhere
Moore 9 Leading again
Atkinson 9 Unlucky for the goal
Ruffels 9 2 fantastic goals
Gorrin 8 Lost Quinn for the goal
Forde 7 Solid but Brannagan’s back
McGuane 9 What a talent
Henry 9 Superb bar a sitter miss
Taylor 8 Great goal, quiet after
Shodipo 9 Some performance

That was a pretty nice game to watch. Having such attacking menace from 3 of our back 4 is great to see, as is having a keeper who calls loudly and confidently collects the high balls. I felt sorry for Shodipo for that unbelievably crafted miss - it will have taken the shine off a very good game for him.
By the end of the game my only disappointment was Winnall. I was hoping to see some flashes of what he’s got to offer, but all I noticed was 3 times where he received the ball and was notably slow in turning and getting it out from under his feet. Maybe it’s all relative to the quick fire play of the rest of the team, but he looked a way off pace and I still don’t know what he can do for us.

Back
Top Bottom