Current Player #8 Cameron Brannagan

Phil Heath played in the top div didn't he? Certainly in what is now the championship. Then gave up cos he lost interest in the game.
He was certainly a promising player at Stoke but quickly dropped down the leagues , very often wrongly referred to as Adrian's brother who was also at Stoke!

Maybe we need to work out our Oxford Cult Hero XI?
Players who built a cult following unrelated to how good at football they actually were.

I'd nominate Pal Lundin, Mateo Corbo, Gary Smart, David Rush and Johnny Lager for starters. Mickey Lewis is the captain.

(I started watching in the early 90s).

It would be quite good to start a thread on our best XI loans. There have been so many… difficult choices.

Not for me because of what Paul Gerrard did for us, rather than elsewhere. His save at Sheffield Utd is still one of the best saves I've ever seen live and enabled us to win 2-1. He also played 16 times as opposed to Ian Walker's 3 appearances.
Yes but did he go out with my mates niece 😆

Not for me because of what Paul Gerrard did for us, rather than elsewhere. His save at Sheffield Utd is still one of the best saves I've ever seen live and enabled us to win 2-1. He also played 16 times as opposed to Ian Walker's 3 appearances.

Don’t forget when he charged out of the box at the Hawthorns, and put Lee Hughes out for the season. Then We won 2-1 cheers Pursey.

Players who built a cult following unrelated to how good at football they actually were.

I'd nominate Pal Lundin, Mateo Corbo, Gary Smart, David Rush and Johnny Lager for starters. Mickey Lewis is the captain.

(I started watching in the early 90s).
Good choices. Kevin Francis maybe. Of the current bunch, Gavin “helicopter” Whyte?

1. Hubert Busby Jnr
2. Mateo Corbo
3. Ricardinho
4. Mickey Lewis
5. Brian Wilsterman
6. Michael Duberry
7. George Lawrence
8. Billy Whitehurst
9. Nigel Cassidy
10. Andy Whing
11. Jack Midson

Subs: far too many to mention

Maybe we need another thread, but id throw in Toni Martinez. Obviously levels above at Porto now and one day I'd love to believe he'd be back considering how much love he still loves the club, but Newcastle and Boro goals aside for me it was definitely a case of the song being better than the player.

1. Hubert Busby Jnr
2. Mateo Corbo
3. Ricardinho
4. Mickey Lewis
5. Brian Wilsterman
6. Michael Duberry
7. George Lawrence
8. Billy Whitehurst
9. Nigel Cassidy
10. Andy Whing
11. Jack Midson

Subs: far too many to mention

I hope the bench is big enough to accommodate Jude Stirling.

You can't have a cult hero XI without Jefferson Louis....

How COULD I forget...?

Although, in fairness, he's probably making the Cult Hero XI of at least 35 other clubs, whereas we've got first dibs on most of my XI.

Oh come on folks, this CamBrann's thread.

Don't all be lazy, start a thread for best/worst loan players through the years.

I'll move the posts over.

Last edited:
Cameron Brannagan is one of the true greats at Oxford. He has only one year on his contract and talk is of a £1million.
With all the clubs mooted to be interested surely we must be able to get at least double that.
I hope he stays but I bet QPR will be coming in for him and Luke McNally.
I have a nasty feeling we are becoming a feeder club. Hope I’m wrong

Cameron Brannagan is one of the true greats at Oxford. He has only one year on his contract and talk is of a £1million.
With all the clubs mooted to be interested surely we must be able to get at least double that.
I hope he stays but I bet QPR will be coming in for him and Luke McNally.
I have a nasty feeling we are becoming a feeder club. Hope I’m wrong
All clubs have to do is pay the release clause and then it is up to Brannagan where he goes. I can’t see him leaving for Blackpool since he didn’t want to go there back in January even if they had actually met the release clause on time. I think out of those clubs it would be QPR or Sheff U.

Back
Top Bottom