Home Match Day Thread +++ 7/12/2019 OUFC V Shrewsbury Town +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gareth Ainsworth has a new challenger in Sam Ricketts for the King of anti football title. Shrewsbury showed zero ambition to win the game considering we had a makeshift central midfield to begin with and which then got wiped out by 2 injuries and we had to adapt the formation/positions twice.

I hope Anthony Forde is recovering as well and good luck on your full recovery. With all the injuries, I can now see a few midfielders being signed in January. I wonder if Liverpool will be tapped up for some players considering KR's meeting a few weeks ago?

Why did it take so long to work out that Shrewsbury were always aiming for Edwards at set pieces?

Sounds like you’d be better off on the Wycombe forum with sentiments like that.......
bet he scuttles off to grass on people standing as well.....this is the modern day football fan......JOKE!!

Seeing as Shrewsbury are typically a low scoring team this season, it is a perfectly legitimate idea to have an extra attacking threat on the pitch, rather than a defensive one. Henry's range of passing and ability to start attacks from deep, it therefore made more sense to have him there than Sykes or Forde. It's true he is our top scorer, but in terms of minutes per goal this season, he is bested by three who started the game further up the pitch: Hall, Fosu, and Taylor. We're not as reliant on Henry's goals as we have been the last two seasons.

The fact that the Shrews set up to nullify our threats and pushed Henry back too deep to be effective in that role, forced our hand into a change. That's fine, but it wasn't a stupid move ahead of the game. I believe it was mentioned before the game that the DM position is where Henry sees himself ending up playing towards the end of his career!
He should have started Moore and Dickie, Mouse as the DM and drop dukes to the bench and start Henry in his normal role. It just didn’t work with Henry as DM, with Gorrin our would have thought the obvious choice would have been Mouse to DM.

He should have started Moore and Dickie, Mouse as the DM and drop dukes to the bench and start Henry in his normal role. It just didn’t work with Henry as DM, with Gorrin our would have thought the obvious choice would have been Mouse to DM.

I mean, you're correct that it didn't work. But you skipped over the whole first part of my post explaining the reasoning why it might've worked.

I hope Gorrin is wrapped in cotton wool this week, but at least he will provide the screen we need in the formation - I do think KR was right to not move Mous in to CM, but perhaps Ruffels would have been a better bet with Long at LB. Not ideal, but more rigid in terms of formation.

So good management from Ricketts? Altered the shape of his team and gave us real problems.

I dont really understand the criticism of Ricketts and also Ainsworth in this thread. At the end of the day its a results business. The tactics might be frustrating for us to watch but they have to tailor the tactics to suit the players theyve got. Shrewsbury did a job on us yesterday although they were fortunate to be playing us with half of our squad missing through injury. They cant expect their players to play like Man City and get results. Mapp was criticised for trying that when he first came here. He soon learnt that a bit more pragmatism was required.

As much as Id hate to watch that style of football every week, Id like to think that ours is a slightly different situation. Without sounding too condescending, I think its fair to say we are lucky enough to have a good squad of technical players with more flair and so dont need to be quite so cautious. I doubt that Wycombe fans are complaining too much when they look at the league table.
It is a results business and Wycombe are top of the league for a reason. Say what you like about Ainsworth, but his positivity and management skills are getting the most out of his squad, on limited resources. Much more limited than ours. Not sure if Robinson has got the same management skills to keep our season going right through to when it counts.

Perhaps KR doesn't want to play Mous, Moore & Dickie at same time to minimise risk of injury to centre halves.

Snowflakes abound
I'm not one to abide any form of racism which probably makes me a left liberal snowflake or something. But are people really down on such people because they are Roma? Or is it because that *some* of that section of people (some Roma, some of Irish origin, and others from all over) cause a horrible - and very visible - mess wherever they stop and (at least here in rural Bedfordshire) seem to be disproportionately represented in activities such as hare coursing, robbing farm outbuildings and burglaries in the villages? Not to mention the fact that there seems to be little censure from within those communities for people who do such things - and in fact they will close ranks and try to prevent any police investigation?

It is a results business and Wycombe are top of the league for a reason. Say what you like about Ainsworth, but his positivity and management skills are getting the most out of his squad, on limited resources. Much more limited than ours. Not sure if Robinson has got the same management skills to keep our season going right through to when it counts.

Bizarre that all 4 of your posts have so far been showing more support to Wycombe than to Oxford? I suspect that you'll become increasingly annoying over the next 2 weeks before disappearing once Oxford put Wycombe in their place!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom