Away Match Day Thread 15/04/2022 L1: Fleetwood Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Robbo Out thread is full of posts saying that performances mean nothing without the results.

88.6% of responses on the poll on that thread actually said that no, he shouldn’t go. You’re fighting a wholly imagined battle against hordes of negativity when there’s actually just a couple of property negative posters (bizzaro Scotcheggs, if you will).

No-one has a problem with you saying you think we’ll win or going against the likes of @greatunclekip or @Mellowyellow , it’s when you attack people for daring to suggest that Sam Long had a bad game when he gave away a penalty and struggled massively all game. I’m pretty sure Sam Long himself wouldn’t try and argue he’s been good in the last two games! Listen to Cameron Brannigan’s scathing interviews - if he was posting those on here you’d be suggesting he stopped being involved with Oxford United!

It’s so tiresome that no-one can post anything which isn’t positive without you jumping down their throat and telling them to stop supporting their football club, or that they don’t know what they’re talking about. Just let people be!

Whether you’re negative or positive both have to be welcomed on this forum. Some me included are negative on occasions because they’re warranted some are positive on occasions because they are also warranted. Most in here are both positive and negative and I account for one of those and rightly so.
You can be always negative as in the case of one person but that’s there prerogative as is being always positive as is there prerogative. But one poster when being positive does yes thebout down in the negative responses form some but thatbis what is wrong as that lacks honesty.
If like yesterday game at Fleetwood I think everyone would have started positive especially after the last 3 games and the negative results.
However after our 3 well taken goals we became to laid back and allowed Fleetwood back into the game and for almost all the 2nd half we were back peddling so the positivity became a negativity and rightly so.
We almost came away with nothing let alone a point if that goal line clearance hadn’t been made.
As it is we came away with 3 points which has to be a positive, but in no way should it detract from a negative 2nd half.
If we were all honest we would say we were poor 2nd half and hung on for dear life.
It wasn’t a scrappy 1-0 win yesterday it was a case of good fortune that we came away with 3 points.
Now let’s move onto Tuesday evening and get 3 points…. Will it be positive or negative? Let’s all be honest and stop belittling those who have an opposite response to your own.

88.6% of responses on the poll on that thread actually said that no, he shouldn’t go. You’re fighting a wholly imagined battle against hordes of negativity when there’s actually just a couple of property negative posters (bizzaro Scotcheggs, if you will).

No-one has a problem with you saying you think we’ll win or going against the likes of @greatunclekip or @Mellowyellow , it’s when you attack people for daring to suggest that Sam Long had a bad game when he gave away a penalty and struggled massively all game. I’m pretty sure Sam Long himself wouldn’t try and argue he’s been good in the last two games! Listen to Cameron Brannigan’s scathing interviews - if he was posting those on here you’d be suggesting he stopped being involved with Oxford United!

It’s so tiresome that no-one can post anything which isn’t positive without you jumping down their throat and telling them to stop supporting their football club, or that they don’t know what they’re talking about. Just let people be!
I think personally Long gets a 5 yesterday , below average but not the shocker its being made out he had.
The ' given away 'pen was hardly a crazy rush of blood stupid tackle or putting his arm up and wafting at a cross for example.

Whether you’re negative or positive both have to be welcomed on this forum. Some me included are negative on occasions because they’re warranted some are positive on occasions because they are also warranted. Most in here are both positive and negative and I account for one of those and rightly so.
You can be always negative as in the case of one person but that’s there prerogative as is being always positive as is there prerogative. But one poster when being positive does yes thebout down in the negative responses form some but thatbis what is wrong as that lacks honesty.
If like yesterday game at Fleetwood I think everyone would have started positive especially after the last 3 games and the negative results.
However after our 3 well taken goals we became to laid back and allowed Fleetwood back into the game and for almost all the 2nd half we were back peddling so the positivity became a negativity and rightly so.
We almost came away with nothing let alone a point if that goal line clearance hadn’t been made.
As it is we came away with 3 points which has to be a positive, but in no way should it detract from a negative 2nd half.
If we were all honest we would say we were poor 2nd half and hung on for dear life.
It wasn’t a scrappy 1-0 win yesterday it was a case of good fortune that we came away with 3 points.
Now let’s move onto Tuesday evening and get 3 points…. Will it be positive or negative? Let’s all be honest and stop belittling those who have an opposite response to your own.
How on earth can you infer we were in danger of losing :unsure: Matty missed a sitter (also goal disallowed) Bodin had a great chance and could even of passed to Holland? to tap into an empty net. Sykes made a superb run with ball and whilst i felt he shot, there was nearly a tap in at the back post.

if that Goal line clearance wasn't made that's 3-3 is it not?

for what it's worth i felt the whole game was played in laid back mode and somehow felt very different from the first whistle.

How on earth can you infer we were in danger of losing :unsure: Matty missed a sitter (also goal disallowed) Bodin had a great chance and could even of passed to Holland? to tap into an empty net. Sykes made a superb run with ball and whilst i felt he shot, there was nearly a tap in at the back post.

if that Goal line clearance wasn't made that's 3-3 is it not?

for what it's worth i felt the whole game was played in laid back mode and somehow felt very different from the first whistle.
Not inferring just saying it was a possibility with the 2nd half performance.
Yes Matty missed a sitter and offside for his disallowed goal, Bodin had a chance and could of passed to Holland and yes there was Sykes superb run in the 2nd half I won’t dispute none of that but it’s all ifs and buts. We were under the cosh for a majority of the 2nd half and were nothing like we were in the first 30 minutes.

Yes the game was laid back but should it have been form our side? Should we not have made sure the gane was safe and if that was to take 80 mins or so th sure of 3 points then so be it.
Why be laid back when you need to win games to get to hopefully the playoffs.

Fleetwood seem to have had a rocket up their arses after we scored our third where as the the ticket up our arses must have fused out.

It wernt pretty , it was fkn nervy to watch from 20 mins in. Despite it not being a great (defensive) performance, we got 3 points, away , at fleetwood, (which weve never won there before), keep winning and who knows....a win tuesday night, over a team weve beaten at their place already this season and keep the winning run going

Yesterday's Wasn't At The Game show as a podcast: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bwvp8z

Would encourage everyone to listen to this from 37 minutes to around 43 minutes, where there is discussion about “being a big club.”

Ryan has quoted the key passage from a well-informed Jerome but Andrew Self and SK make some useful points too.

Something needs to change if we’re to make that next step up that our owners demand. We should be demanding it too, as it’s central to our future (and survival) as a football club.

The DoF question is an interesting one but ultimately we’ll be in definition-of-insanity territory if we just spend more next season in a similar fashion to the last few years.

We’ve done well up to this point, but KR (or whoever comes next) and the club need to move us on from being plucky outsiders to a Championship club in waiting.

Not inferring just saying it was a possibility with the 2nd half performance.
Yes Matty missed a sitter and offside for his disallowed goal, Bodin had a chance and could of passed to Holland and yes there was Sykes superb run in the 2nd half I won’t dispute none of that but it’s all ifs and buts. We were under the cosh for a majority of the 2nd half and were nothing like we were in the first 30 minutes.

Yes the game was laid back but should it have been form our side? Should we not have made sure the gane was safe and if that was to take 80 mins or so th sure of 3 points then so be it.
Why be laid back when you need to win games to get to hopefully the playoffs.

Fleetwood seem to have had a rocket up their arses after we scored our third where as the the ticket up our arses must have fused out.
I think for a side flirting with relegation Fleetwood had a very odd initial approach, you would normal expect them to come out all guns blazing from the off especially at home but the room and time they allowed us early doors was bizarre to say the least.

Likewise at 3-0, although as i wrote above the whole game appeared to be in laid back mode we appeared to have a cruise mentality like the game was already won and to a large extent stopped doing some basic stuff. in an odd way had it of been 0-0 and we were under pressure we would have torn them apart on the transition but again at 3-0 3-1 3-2 we to a large extent never broke or attempted to break in number like we normal would.

Right at the end MM dribbled sideways rather than into open space ahead and then turned back into trouble and luckily got a foul.

Right at the end MM dribbled sideways rather than into open space ahead and then turned back into trouble and luckily got a foul.
I’d disagree with that assessment; I think he knew there wasn’t much time left and the most important thing was to keep the ball rather than hoof it forward and let them launch another long ball into our box, so he kept the ball and made sure he won a foul, eating up precious seconds

I’d disagree with that assessment; I think he knew there wasn’t much time left and the most important thing was to keep the ball rather than hoof it forward and let them launch another long ball into our box, so he kept the ball and made sure he won a foul, eating up precious seconds
i agree, what i meant was he could have done the same dribble keeping the ball in a forward motion rather than sideways and then backwards.. not suggesting for 1 minute he should have hoofed the ball. he did the right thing keeping keeping the ball.

i agree, what i meant was he could have done the same dribble keeping the ball in a forward motion rather than sideways and then backwards.. not suggesting for 1 minute he should have hoofed the ball. he did the right thing keeping keeping the ball.

And, along these lines of keeping possession, can anyone explain to me why we adopt this hoofing the ball forward style of play when we obviously lose possession immediately that the ball falls to earth? Matt Taylor is usually outjumped and the absence of any midfield following on seems to indicate an intent to play on the defensive? (something we are not good at!)
I despair at the number of times Stevens (and Eastwood) launch the ball forward and either, it comes straight back or it ends up in touch, neither option giving us any advantage.

Because of the Sunderland and Wycombe results, yesterday didn't really feel like a win. But if Ipswich and MKD can both get 3 points today, the hope will ratchet up a notch.

And, along these lines of keeping possession, can anyone explain to me why we adopt this hoofing the ball forward style of play when we obviously lose possession immediately that the ball falls to earth? Matt Taylor is usually outjumped and the absence of any midfield following on seems to indicate an intent to play on the defensive? (something we are not good at!)
I despair at the number of times Stevens (and Eastwood) launch the ball forward and either, it comes straight back or it ends up in touch, neither option giving us any advantage.
But at the same time playing out from the back we we have had problems not always but some and we could get caught out. I agree about Matty being out jumped but the keeper could also kick out towards the wings.
This must be an option when the opposition are looking for us to play out from defence and to try and catch them on the break.

In basically every game we have lost this season we have resorted to that tactic and it doesn't work

[/QUOTE]
It wernt pretty , it was fkn nervy to watch from 20 mins in. Despite it not being a great (defensive) performance, we got 3 points, away , at fleetwood, (which weve never won there before), keep winning and who knows....a win tuesday night, over a team weve beaten at their place already this season and keep the winning run going
Winning run? Sarge, it is only one match!! Always admire your positivity.

I think for a side flirting with relegation Fleetwood had a very odd initial approach, you would normal expect them to come out all guns blazing from the off especially at home but the room and time they allowed us early doors was bizarre to say the least.

Very much agree with this - in the first 90 seconds, they just let Herbie stroll around the middle of the park with the ball without putting any pressure on.
I remember thinking even then that it was going to be a good day, and then we scored. And again. And again.

After 20 minutes, Fleetwood seemed to work it out and started to press us hard (which is really strategy 101 for playing against us) but the game was already won.

Just plain bad management; probably why they're in the relegation zone despite having a bunch of decent players (in attack, at least).

anyone else notice our goal celebrations yesterday, especially Bran’s? Very subdued I thought, almost as if they are thinking it’s too little, too late. Or am I overthinking it?

anyone else notice our goal celebrations yesterday, especially Bran’s? Very subdued I thought, almost as if they are thinking it’s too little, too late. Or am I overthinking it?
Over thinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom