Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Milton Keynes Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Whyte, disagree with Sykes. Thought he put another shift in and was constantly pressing. Made some great runs down the right side second half.
And getting justifiably furious in the first half when making space so many times, but never getting the pass.

Let's not overlook the contribution of Ryan Williams in the goal. Hassled Lewington into making the hurried pass which Bodin nicked off the toes of McEachran. Can anyone see Sykes or Whyte putting in that sort of effort?

Having been MoM a couple of times when we were "bare bones", I'd be giving him more pitch time than either of those two....
Williams was fresh from having come on late, of course, but he’s the sort of player we need in our current situation: always gives it everything and works hard on and off the ball. In the first half we were “carrying “ too many players (our two wide men particularly were doing nothing, so Herbie and Cam were swamped). It’s time Whyte was dropped.
Kane gets a lot of criticism but let’s remember he is playing in a much deeper position than he’d like and isn’t as effective there. Yes, we desperately miss Gorrin. It’s the decision by KR not to replace him that will ultimately cost us the two or three points that we will fall short.
But let’s enjoy ourselves up in sunny Rotherham.

And I still rate him over Jordan Thorniley[emoji6]

Give Brown game time and a settled defence, coupled with our coaching, and we have got a very good solution to the left back issue (and a long throw for good measure). I think we need to sign him if Cardiff are prepared to let him go in the Summer. As he's already 24 do Cardiff see him as a realistic prospect for them going forward?
Cardiff took up their years option for this season.
So free to find a new club next season.

Talk about a game of two halves. They were a yard quicker, stronger and technically superior in the first half and looked too good for us in the same way that Rotherham and Blackpool have in recent seasons at our place as well as Plymouth did earlier this season - a men against boys look to it. Robbo must have given one of his most inspirational team talks ever though to get the reaction we did in the second half.

Right from the kick off we had a couple of minutes of keep ball possession and everything went up a level. Our intensity, movement and touch was unrecognisable to the first half. Excellent all round performances from Brown, Moore, Brannagan and Stevens ... notable second half performances from Kane, Long, Taylor and Holland but felt the Irish lads - Whyte, Sykes and McNally were a bit below their normal performance level. The subs all made genuine contributions, particularly Bodin of course.

On we go but still a big ask, a giant step in the right direction though and now we just need to do our job and have two or three results go our way and really we couldn't be asking for three better teams - Sheff Wed, Wigan and MK - to try and do us a favour. They each have massive opportunities for themselves so we know they will be bang at it. Vital too that MK beat Morecambe on Saturday, we need them going to Plymouth all guns blazing for an automatic spot and not taking it easy in readiness for the play offs.

Are you certain about Baldock?
I saw the quote from KR pre game yesterday and took it as it’s a real possibility we might see him in some shape or form on Saturday.

It’s a difficult shout for Karl, risk him to get us into the play offs or save him as our trump card if we get there which seemed to be the original plan.

Brilliant result. Just wish we didn't gift Sunderland those points last week could have cost us! Still keeps us alive and another exciting week.

I've been assured, Kip, that you're not really a scum-supporting person, but what, actually, are you? Besides utterly weird, that is, for someone who professes to be an Oxford fan.
I think he is an Oxford fan really, though not one who goes to many games. One of those sneery, smirking people who enjoy bringing everyone else down.

It’s a difficult shout for Karl, risk him to get us into the play offs or save him as our trump card if we get there which seemed to be the original plan.
Agreed, it certainly is a dilemma.
I’m of the opinion that we will see Baldock before the end of the season but not so sure we will see him play a full 90, perhaps used as an impact sub for the final 2 games.

Will give them the benefit of the doubt for the first half, it appears to be a classic example of rope a dope. But even when dominating MK offered very little up front. Couple of long range shots (suppose we should be grateful that long range shots have not gone in our goal) and the chance that was trickling towards the goal and Brown comfortably reached it, being right behind it I'm not sure it was going in anyway hit the post at best. Our dominance second half was more than their dominance first half as it carried more threat so overall just edged it.

Some good points already made and much to agree with. Key points for me:
  • Williams & Bodin – what a difference they make. I think both have to start Saturday now, definitely at the expense of Holland, probably Sykes too (though maybe Whyte). It’s been noted above, but it’s about energy levels and desire at this stage. With these two on the pitch I feel confident of getting a goal and forcing the issue. Not so much with Holland especially, and now Sykes unfortunately. We need to be at it from the off, Rotherham will be jittery and we need to get at them early. (As a side note, I do wonder if post-Baldock injury, we should have made more of an effort to get Bodin & Taylor as a front two working).
  • Brown – quite a few suggestions of signing him up in recent weeks, which I had felt were premature. Have to say I’m coming round to the idea now, seems to be getting better game by game and still has his best years ahead of him.
  • Kane – again, it’s been said, but he needs to be playing further forward. Not suggesting he is at Barry Bannan levels, but it’s no coincidence that Bannan has been at his best for Wednesday with a really solid defensive midfielder beside (or behind) him. He is wasted playing deep, and I think the same could be said of Kane.

I find it a little odd suggesting that Brown would be more effective in his 'real position' having possibly being the best player on the pitch in a win against the team 3rd in the league.
Since he has been here, to me he seems to have played better at left back and now looks a solid player.
Absolutely agree. He might think he’s a centre half, but he’s a left back!
Having him play at left back gives us a decent option for when Stevens kicks it upfield. He won the header no end of times doing this yesterday.

The thing is, if Baldock did come back, what do we do? Go back to two up front, which would require a formation change? Or rotate him with Taylor?

Thought both Sykes and Whyte in particular had exceptionally poor games. Sykesy lost his footing on at least three occasions and got mugged on the ball so often in the first half and Gavin appears low or even devoid of any confidence in my view. Some huge decisions for Robbo at Rotherham this Saturday.

With Gavin Whyte, what did Cardiff do to him? They seem to have tried to coach out that what was good out about him and set him apart. He used to run at defences, now he turns back instead of just going for it even when one on one with the last defender.

KR or his next manager have to show him videos of his performances in NI/with us before he went to Cardiff and encourage him to get back to that style and approach to his game.

Some good points already made and much to agree with. Key points for me:
  • Williams & Bodin – what a difference they make. I think both have to start Saturday now, definitely at the expense of Holland, probably Sykes too (though maybe Whyte). It’s been noted above, but it’s about energy levels and desire at this stage. With these two on the pitch I feel confident of getting a goal and forcing the issue. Not so much with Holland especially, and now Sykes unfortunately. We need to be at it from the off, Rotherham will be jittery and we need to get at them early. (As a side note, I do wonder if post-Baldock injury, we should have made more of an effort to get Bodin & Taylor as a front two working).

Small point but neither Williams or Bodin came on for Holland. Browne replaced Holland on the left. Bodin played the no.10 position with Sykes initially moving to the right before being replaced by Williams.

He looks much better at LB than he has done at CB. Reminds me of Alonso for Chelsea. No doubt he will be signed as a CB!
I think.that he looks comfortable in a back 3 or as a left back.
He has improved so maybe would do a decent job as a CB in a 2 now but I would have Moore and McNally ahead if him.
If signed he would be a useful player to have ( maybe as back up?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom