Current Player #3 Ciaron Brown

What he does have is the ability to be solid, he can tackle, head the ball and knows where to position himself. Huge heart and desire as well. There are better left backs out there but if you were writing positions to improve his wouldn’t be anywhere near the top for me.

And if the right back is an attacking type player, then a defensively minded (I don't think he is particularly though) one on the other side isn't a problem, a la Gorgeous George/Joe Skarz.

What he does have is the ability to be solid, he can tackle, head the ball and knows where to position himself. Huge heart and desire as well. There are better left backs out there but if you were writing positions to improve his wouldn’t be anywhere near the top for me.
Yeah and he can do that for CB if we move Findlay on. I've always thought that full backs make a huge amount of difference in terms of being able to set the standard for attacking movement, especially for teams that want to pass out rather than play more direct.

Don't get me wrong, a striker is number one priority for me, but Brown for me even after that season is at best a squad player for an upper L1/lower Championship side.

Yeah and he can do that for CB if we move Findlay on. I've always thought that full backs make a huge amount of difference in terms of being able to set the standard for attacking movement, especially for teams that want to pass out rather than play more direct.

Don't get me wrong, a striker is number one priority for me, but Brown for me even after that season is at best a squad player for an upper L1/lower Championship side.

I agree. Just because he won player awards amongst a load of absolute dross is no indication that he shouldn’t be upgraded upon. He’s a good solid pro but I think Manning will want someone more dynamic, more fluid than Brown.

He's definitely good enough as a CB. He's not a LB. I've seen him several times for Northern Ireland. He plays on the left of a back three and looks perfectly comfortable. His passing is noticeably better as well. Far crisper than when he was playing for KR. But tbf, he was probably under instruction to clip nothing balls down the line, as part of KR's 'master plan'. NI would be about the standard of a mid table Championship team. So he's easily good enough for us next season imo, as long as he plays CB.

Won players player AND fans player of the season yet still the player gets criticised by a few.
Don’t think anyone is denying him the credit for that. We all voted for him, after all. The problem is the context of us being a truly awful football team to the point that giving 6 or 7 out of 10 every week and the occasional 8 makes you a front runner for the player of the season awards.

There’s an understandable affection towards him and we should be very glad he’s here next year, but more natural full backs have to be on the agenda. Hopefully, there is a scenario where everyone wins and we shuffle the system around or change shape to enable him to still play regularly. But the flanks need addressing.

At best we are an upper L1/Championship newby side so not quite sure why you'd pile into Brown - a reliable squad player in defence positions.
Don't think 'pile into' is pointing out a few of his more obvious flaws and indicating we could probably do with playing him in a position more suited to his abilities.

I agree. Just because he won player awards amongst a load of absolute dross is no indication that he shouldn’t be upgraded upon. He’s a good solid pro but I think Manning will want someone more dynamic, more fluid than Brown.
Which of our current players shouldn’t be upgraded upon?

Don't think 'pile into' is pointing out a few of his more obvious flaws and indicating we could probably do with playing him in a position more suited to his abilities.
It's an odd situation where basically Brown was our best player last season but isn't really an ideal left back. And I'm not sure he's as good at centre back - or maybe he just doesn't catch the eye there as much.

It's an odd situation where basically Brown was our best player last season but isn't really an ideal left back. And I'm not sure he's as good at centre back - or maybe he just doesn't catch the eye there as much.
Yeah it's funny - it wasn't that long ago left-sided CB's were being spoken about a bit like gold dust, hard to come by those of any real quality. Or maybe that was just KR spinning the narrative a bit. Would be interested to see him get a proper run there.

Don't think anyone is 'piling' into him. Just pointing out he's a really good high level L1/low level Championship CB, but he's not a LB.

Well he was last season, and he was voted our best player. Does anyone think this is all a bit circular?

dog-chasing-tail.gif

Don't think anyone is 'piling' into him. Just pointing out he's a really good high level L1/low level Championship CB, but he's not a LB.
I don't understand. He isnt a left back. When Ruffels had a bad time a couple of seasons ago some said he was a CM and not a left back. He played a lot of lady season I'm the Championship as a left back.
I would argue that he proved last season that he IS a left back. Whether he is better as a left sided CB in a 4, I would doubt although it will be interesting if Manning disagrees

Ciaron Brown won the awards as he was the best square peg in a round hole and a 7 - 8 out of 10 week in week out.
With no disrespect to Stuart Findlay IMO CB is a better fit for us as a left sided centre back.
I cannot for the life of me see why we were after SF for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom