Ex Player Peter Rhoades-Brown (BBC Radio Oxford)

Mystery Yellow

Anyone else getting a little bit fed up of listening to his digs on the radio constantly having a pop at the fans whether that’s the atmosphere, numbers turning up at games or his over the top positive attitude he looks to adopt. I don’t warm to his views on the game when he commentates I find him pretty bloody annoying in fact, unlike when Steven Kinniburgh was on he gave you a true reflection of the game & a overly honest reviews which we all liked to here & respected. (even Ben Purkiss who’s recently been on the past couple of months has done good insight on reviewing the games like SK does)

Rosie do us all a favour & wind your neck in.

To be fair he's not wrong about the atmosphere, absolutely dead in the water since the ultras went. But that was the clubs fault. Atmospheres in the UK lower leagues have sunk to new lows post-Covid.

Numbers aren't turning up to games because many of us are sick of our arrogant manager.

Not sure whether PRB is giving content to why the atmospheres and followings are bad, I have nothing against the guy if I'm honest.

Anyone else getting a little bit fed up of listening to his digs on the radio constantly having a pop at the fans whether that’s the atmosphere, numbers turning up at games or his over the top positive attitude he looks to adopt. I don’t warm to his views on the game when he commentates I find him pretty bloody annoying in fact, unlike when Steven Kinniburgh was on he gave you a true reflection of the game & a overly honest reviews which we all liked to here & respected. (even Ben Purkiss who’s recently been on the past couple of months has done good insight on reviewing the games like SK does)

Rosie do us all a favour & wind your neck in.
Agree.
His analysis is nowhere near as good as Kinninburgh and Purkiss in my view.
He is also far less likely to be critical when he should be.

Yeah, feels terrible to say it given everything he's done for the club over the years - but he's consistently the weak link in the otherwise terrific RadOx team.
(OK, yes, Nick is a bumbling incompetent......but he's our bumbling incompetent, and he doesn't actually say very much these days).

You know what PRB's going to say at all times - he's going to be relentlessly positive about all the players, impossibly optmistic and will never offer even a piece of constructive criticism about an Oxford player. Sadly, it's just not very interesting to listen to.......

A nice guy but adds little insight into whichever game he's watching
Mind you can you imagine the reception he'd get from Karl next time he saw him at the club if he said anything critical?
He'd be getting his P45

A nice guy but adds little insight into whichever game he's watching
Mind you can you imagine the reception he'd get from Karl next time he saw him at the club if he said anything critical?
He'd be getting his P45
So does Karl employ Rosie aswel yes I think on the radio PRB is boring to listen to he's never going to give criticism of the team he's probably right the atmosphere is as flat at as witches tit but I don't get KR controls PRB aswel

Tries to be funny & he's not, awful co/ commentator . In fact compared to other local radio BBC RADIO OXFORD is tin pot. Bring back Jack FM's big bannana, it was much better..

So does Karl employ Rosie aswel yes I think on the radio PRB is boring to listen to he's never going to give criticism of the team he's probably right the atmosphere is as flat at as witches tit but I don't get KR controls PRB aswel
PRB is much more honest when talking privately
Of course KR doesn't employ him directly but as we've all seen on numerous occasions he doesn't take kindly to criticism

Of course KR doesn't employ him directly but as we've all seen on numerous occasions he doesn't take kindly to criticism
I think that the point is that it is never a good idea to have a club employee aa a summariser.
It is obviously difficult for them to give their honest opinion.
Kinninburgh was very honest and has not become an employee and so it is better that he is not a summariser ( although he would still be a better option than PRB in my view)

Yesterday was a joke that went wrong..."The crowd has been quiet all through December". We haven't had a home game through December...
That said, away commentary is far better and more insightful than the home commentary. What also irks me is the team's cluelessness sometimes with the laws of the game, but that may be with hindsight given we can see it on screen (with replays) and they apparently don't have this.

Yesterday was a joke that went wrong..."The crowd has been quiet all through December". We haven't had a home game through December...
That said, away commentary is far better and more insightful than the home commentary. What also irks me is the team's cluelessness sometimes with the laws of the game, but that may be with hindsight given we can see it on screen (with replays) and they apparently don't have this.
Perhaps they could chip in a couple of quid each and have iFollow playing (when it's available)?

Tries to be funny & he's not, awful co/ commentator . In fact compared to other local radio BBC RADIO OXFORD is tin pot. Bring back Jack FM's big bannana, it was much better..
I agree with a lot of things you say Scrongo but there is no way Jack fm was better than Radox
Agree Rosie is the weak link and Nick bumbles a bit but the format is good

I agree with a lot of things you say Scrongo but there is no way Jack fm was better than Radox
Agree Rosie is the weak link and Nick bumbles a bit but the format is good
It was more light hearted, & funny for me personally. That's why I liked it ... Obviously BBC should be better quality, but you've got to have the personality.. Haha I like Nick though,👍

Why do you always have the need to do this !

Those listening on the radio are in the main home fans, many clubs have employees doing the co commentary, in such scenarios it's always going to be seen from the Home side perspective.

At away games best co commentator for me has been Mick Mills at Ipswich who says what he sees (he didn't do Boxing Day)

I stood next to PRB at Derby. He *is* very positive about the team even when not on air (although I suppose he was 'on duty' to a certain extent!), but not to the extent he is when punditing (if that's a word!). My problem with him being on air as a commentator is that he offers very little insight because his relentless positivity allows for very little discussion about what might be improved, who is having a good or less good game (they are all good all of the time!) or anything with any nuance.
FWIW when chatting to him at Derby he was a very pleasant man, I have absolutely nothing against him personally.

its not jsut insight into the match itsekf, but he could also more insight into other things going on at the club but we get none of that either

Why do you always have the need to do this !

Those listening on the radio are in the main home fans, many clubs have employees doing the co commentary, in such scenarios it's always going to be seen from the Home side perspective.

At away games best co commentator for me has been Mick Mills at Ipswich who says what he sees (he didn't do Boxing Day)
Let's be realistic
If you or I were talking publicly to the media about the organisation we work for would we be overly critical?
I wouldn't, it's unprofessional at best

Back
Top Bottom