Home Match Day Thread 29/7/2023 PS Friendly: OUFC v Queens Park Rangers

West Oxon U’s

QPR team that defeated Reading 2-0 ( Kelman & sub Taylor Richards) in a Friendly at Reading’s training ground on Tuesday.

Asmir Begovic
Osman Kakay
Trent Rendall
Jimmy Dunne
Ziyad Larkeche
Albert Adomah
Stephen Duke-McKenna
Dominic Gape (trialist)
Lyndon Dykes
Ilias Chair
Charlie Kelman

(No Chris Willock, Sam Field, Paul Smyth, Jake Clarke-Salter or Andre Dozzell)

Last edited:
QPR fan on one of their forums saying they should not be losing to Oxford 5 nil for FFS. I get his point, and in QPR’s defence the fact that it was a friendly probably played its part, as they only normally lose the important games 3 nil, rather than 5!

Pleased to see us playing as a team,
How anyone can point a finger at the defence since manning has come in.
Thorniley has added some discipline and structure to that third
And Beadle different class.
Teams are built from the back and stability through the midfield..
I got my each way bet on today, here’s hoping.

Pleased to see us playing as a team,
How anyone can point a finger at the defence since manning has come in.
Thorniley has added some discipline and structure to that third
And Beadle different class.
Teams are built from the back and stability through the midfield..
I got my each way bet on today, here’s hoping.
Bet on the nose not EW

It's a long season we are certainly in a much better place with 2or3 more signings to come see where we are after 10 games .But we should all feel as if we are ready .We'll done so far Liam for trying to sort out the s**t we were on.Heres hoping for an exciting season.

Its the trend in football currently and its a bit disappointing Manning is blindly following a trend. I think it'll cost us more goals than we'll score from doing it.
The trouble is if and when it goes wrong it's blindingly obvious whereas the benefits aren't. If we do do it 10 times a game and keep the ball every time it's better than hitting it longer, losing half the 50/50's and conceding possession. Manning looks like he wants to control the game and that includes everyone and was why it was so important we got a keeper who can play with his feet this season (also being able to stop the ball going in, something Eastwood also struggled with). When it goes belly up it'll be pretty much the last phase of play whereas if it works plenty will have to go right in that passage after for us to benefit so it's not as visible. Likewise if we play a long ball and lose it there are usually a few more passes before the ball ends up in our net so the long ball from the keeper doesn't get the blame. In terms of optics it's high risk/low reward but with Beadle and McEachran in the team now we've got the players to do it.

Also have to disagree about it being a trend and Manning blindly following it. Not many teams at our level do so he's the opposite in that regard. It does seem as though you've made up your mind that you can't be doing with it and I suspect that you'll pick up on any mistakes quickly but it ignore any times it results in a goal. Manning has already shown he's nothing if not pragmatic, Eastwood in one his first interviews after Manning took over said they wanted to play out the back but also had licence to get rid of they felt the situation called for it.

Edit, I've not seen any pre season games but just watched the highlights from today and I see we got a goal today from playing out from defence.

Last edited:
A fair smattering of people around me moaning and groaning every time the ball wasn’t passed forward today, and the same v Swansea. I also heard someone moaning repeatedly about Beadle, who is apparently “a dodgy b****r”, while claiming that Manning should “get Easty back in for the proper games.”

Bliss.
I have said before several times we have some of the best fans in the world. We also have the brain donors fortnightly convention at the Kassam.

Just in, first 20/25 mins we struggled to get out of our half but dealt with everything.
Great goal by Browne which certainly spurred us on.
2nd half complete control some lovely moves a well taken goal by Harris.
Good header by Thorniley missed the Mills goal coming back from the loo.
Overall very impressive performance a striker and a LB and we will be ready
Can’t wait until next Saturday COYY

On the first 20/25 mins of the 1st half, I think there was some adjustment for wind as it had quite an effect on the game. We were pretty comfortable even then. Once adjusted though, we started to run rings around them. That first goal had so many good moments.

As for the game overall, the goals were generally of a very good quality. The team play was very encouraging as the players seemed interchangeable going forward, Cam Bran pops up on the right, Tyler G is in middle and there are lots of examples of this.

But what really was pleasing was the discipline when they lost the ball, back into shape and trying to get it back immediately. And the desperation to keep a clean sheet even at the end of a PSF is really encouraging.

Elliott Moore was superb in the air today. Dykes got little change out of him.

Loved in the 1st half when Browne and Cam Bran were exchanging crunching tackles with 2 QPR players. Old school football.

But what really was pleasing was the discipline when they lost the ball, back into shape and trying to get it back immediately.
There was one moment in the first half when QPR got the ball and within a few short seconds we had shifted into two damn near perfect lines of four, with Rodriguez playing as a second striker off Harris. You could see the shape as clearly as you would see it on a tactics board.

Genuinely, my trousers nearly flew off.

On the first 20/25 mins of the 1st half, I think there was some adjustment for wind as it had quite an effect on the game. We were pretty comfortable even then. Once adjusted though, we started to run rings around them. That first goal had so many good moments.

As for the game overall, the goals were generally of a very good quality. The team play was very encouraging as the players seemed interchangeable going forward, Cam Bran pops up on the right, Tyler G is in middle and there are lots of examples of this.

But what really was pleasing was the discipline when they lost the ball, back into shape and trying to get it back immediately. And the desperation to keep a clean sheet even at the end of a PSF is really encouraging.

Elliott Moore was superb in the air today. Dykes got little change out of him.

Loved in the 1st half when Browne and Cam Bran were exchanging crunching tackles with 2 QPR players. Old school football.
And how the ref let Browne and Brannagan exchange those crunching tackles without stepping in because someone’s shin pad became dislodged or something….Midfield grit? f*****g spade loads of the stuff.

The season before last when Liam Manning’s MK side finished 3rd we beat them at the Kassam. MK were the better side that day but we pressed and found a way to win.

There will times this season when we get caught out at the back, that is to be expected. Hold your nerve, believe in the system and style of play.

So far the turn around from Robinson’s s**t show is impressive, just goes to show what a bit of hard work, attention to detail in recruitment, good coaching and teamwork can achieve in a short space of time.

Looks like we’ve got a good ‘un in Liam Manning.

Back
Top Bottom