Away Match Day Thread 29/03/24 - L1: Shrewsbury v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is over because we are in a 4 team race for the last play off place. There is a certain team that have stormed into 6th place and we won't keep up with them.

“Stormed” 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpeg
    IMG_3938.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 24
Who are these defenders suppose to pass to when u have bodin and Rodrigues hiding behind there man they pass it to either long or Bennett and they pass it back to them I’m confused what u guys want Moore and brown to do
I’m trying to work out what you’re saying, but it’s difficult without punctuation.

I don’t even disagree with you and feel exactly the same when I read people with the opposing opinion go around like a marching band stampeding anybody critical. I freely admit I find it very hard to sit there and not oppose that and my personal opinion is the forum would be a much more tedious place if all it was is people telling us there’s absolutely nothing to worry about. Call it self policing. But I can relate to how you might feel about my contributions if that helps.
*Shakes hands* One of the things I struggle with is that I've not been impressed with Des at all but I don't want to add to the general air of repetitive whinging, so end up posting in a more positive way. Kind of feels like we need the season to end and then start again. I've not really enjoyed this one, I didn't take to Manning or enjoy the football much, though I liked the points, and we've been pretty terrible under Des.

*Shakes hands* One of the things I struggle with is that I've not been impressed with Des at all but I don't want to add to the general air of repetitive whinging, so end up posting in a more positive way. Kind of feels like we need the season to end and then start again. I've not really enjoyed this one, I didn't take to Manning or enjoy the football much, though I liked the points, and we've been pretty terrible under Des.
So let's look forward to being terrible under Des next season then.

You questioned whether the coach had anything to do with the wingers going past full backs at will.

I pointed out that he signed one of them, and is getting more out of the other than KR and Manning ever managed.

I’ll try drawing a picture for you next time 👍
Yes because really that’s something a winger either has in his game or he doesn’t - appreciate it can be improved but it’s a fairly natural ability. Mills is a good example of someone who got better at it with every game but I’m not sure that was Manning specifically, more just the situations the Manning system put him in and what he was instructed to do. He realised very quickly he could beat any fullback on the outside. I’ve seen both Dale and Murphy enough pre-Des to think he isn’t the reason they can suddenly do this, but he might be why we see them do it so often.

I’ll give him credit for any contribution he had in signing him if you like? He’s been a fantastic signing and should be universally effective under any manager so a good club asset.

Yeah, but you said “stormed”. So far they’ve had a decent run of 8-10 games. Like we did at the start of the season.

Today, they only had 2 shots on target.

The teams from 6th to 10th (4th - 10th even - Barnsley and Peterborough both lost to bottom 6 sides today) are inconsistent. That’s the nature of any dogfight between 3 or 4 teams who aren’t consistent enough to be in the automatics or comfortable in the play-offs.

My hot take is that we’re neither as good as the most positive posters on here think, nor as bad as the most negative think. And the sides around us - broadly speaking - are just as inconsistent as we are. If they weren’t, there’d be higher in the table than they are. .

Any recall on O’Donkor? I never thought I’d find myself saying that but needs must and it will be interesting to see his development and confidence.

Absolute dogsh*t, yet again. The same failures, the same result time and time and time again.
Cumming at fault again, his confidence is absolutely shot (or he's just not very good, not sure which).
Brown diabolical, Bennett awful, Rodrigues shouldn't be anywhere near the first team at present. But then again nobody had a stellar game, just average. And average doth butter no parsnips at this stage of the season.
Hopefully we now banish this absolute fallacy that we can go up this season...it's like buying a lottery ticket and hoping for six numbers, there's a chance, sure, but we should stop deluding ourselves.
…you missed out Long from the diatribe. For some reason our right back is now resorting to dangling his left foot when being taken on out wide by his opponent.
He looks vulnerable every time an opponent runs at him. It was happening at Port Vale and he looks to have lost a yard.
Brown’s performance was indeed dire with the ball and Dunkley outjumped him and won three or four headers at corners too. He kept passing the ball to a Shrew or over-hit most of his long passes. The midfield is simply not compact enough with RR and BB in it. And for all Dale’s energy and industry, as Pompey fans attested, there is no end product, sadly. Such a frustrating player but worth his place in the side but has to start producing some quality with his final ball.

Overall it was a hard watch - painful even - we concede goals far too easily. Yes, Cumming was beaten again low down to his right but why was the Shrew allowed to strike a volley with no one coming out to block? We don’t do the ugly side of the game at all well and our game management is lamentable on too many occasions.

The best adjective I’ve read on here to describe the team is chaotic. It really is.

Last edited:
And the sides around us - broadly speaking - are just as inconsistent as we are. If they weren’t, there’d be higher in the table than they are. .

They are - except for Lincoln over the past two months (they've won 9 and drawn 2 since the beginning of February).

If they don't cool down soon, then we're toast.
Even with our inconsistency, the run-in is easy enough that I could see us getting 10 points from the last 6 games. But unless Lincoln's form falls off, that won't be enough.

Any recall on O’Donkor? I never thought I’d find myself saying that but needs must and it will be interesting to see his development and confidence.

He’s definitely not the answer. O’Donker needs to stay where he is, and perhaps a loan at Lge 2 next season.

A new manager is the answer, because this one we have right now is diabolical.

I'm pretty sure Buckingham isn't going to make it long term, I'm afraid. But at least today, we saw how he wants to play. As we also played at Port Vale. I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't think today was that bad. We attacked often, and with pace. On any other day, we win that by 4 or 5. The season absolutely isn't over.
🙃

He’s definitely not the answer. O’Donker needs to stay where he is, and perhaps a loan at Lge 2 next season.

A new manager is the answer, because this one we have right now is diabolical.
While I agree Des isn’t the answer, the squad isn’t good enough either. Too many are past it or injury prone. That’s why Manning got out when he got the chance, he knew we wouldn’t be up to it for 46 games. We are still a couple of windows away at least imo

Last edited:
Who’s fault is that…

We signed a striker, that is clearly not fit.

Why not sign a striker that is able to start straight away.

Des signed Goodwin! So he’s to blame. He had a whole January window to solve that problem. That problem still hasn’t been solved.
But did Des sign Goodwin, or was it forced on him by the recruitment team?

Back in the day Jim Smith, Denis Smith, etc would identify a player, tell the board and if the fee was right sign him.
Nowadays it seems the recruitment team do all this and the head coach, not manager, works with what he is given.
Reason I ask my first question goes right back to when Hanson signed on massive money and was s**t/ injured, KR said on radio Oxford "wasn't my signing" which I found a bit strange at the time

Looking at today we really don't have enough quality throughout the side.
Cumming needs to save that.
Full backs nothing more than reasonably solid.
Midfield just Cam Bran ...crazy . Bodin apart from scoring I thought was non existent.
RR not offering nearly enough.
Murphy quality, Dale just didn't quite come off for him today.
Harris missed one ( good save) great flick for the goal and thought we lost something when he went off tbh.
Browne great to see fit but on the wing or a 10.
Goodrham should be playing, can score goals and set them up as well as adding energy.

Back
Top Bottom