Home Match Day Thread 28/11/2020 L1 OUFC v Swindon Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
In no way does a poor performance on a football pitch come anywhere close to resolving or easing people’s long term woes during this pandemic.

If you think 90 minutes of football and a win over Swindon is sufficient to give someone respite over the fear of losing their jobs, protecting their family or general concerns about the future, you are incredibly deluded.

People have lost loved ones to this virus, people have lost jobs to this virus, people are worried about what the future holds going into 2021.... Yet you think 90 minutes of football and a win over Swindon suddenly makes the world seem a better place.... Christ almighty.
I'm not one to spring to Kip's defence, but that's a really unfair interpretation of what he said. He said it is 90 minutes of respite, not resolution - i.e. a short break - from our longer term worries.

This won’t be a popular view but arguably usual service has been resumed if you look at the historic record before this century.

There’s no shame in that result - punching above weight in recent matches was only going to last so long.

At least the ‘pavement dancing’ bragging rights couldn’t reach Wiltshire this afternoon - that’s the real result, eh Eric?

In no way does a poor performance on a football pitch come anywhere close to resolving or easing people’s long term woes during this pandemic.

If you think 90 minutes of football and a win over Swindon is sufficient to give someone respite over the fear of losing their jobs, protecting their family or general concerns about the future, you are incredibly deluded.

People have lost loved ones to this virus, people have lost jobs to this virus, people are worried about what the future holds going into 2021.... Yet you think 90 minutes of football and a win over Swindon suddenly makes the world seem a better place.... Christ almighty.

Sorry, but it does make a difference to some, where you can live the game, hoping the players will do anything for the shirt. I've been there recently. That 90 mins, when you remember standing on the London Road early 80's, everything is about everything yellow. The win, and you shut everything else out.

• React
Reactions: UTM
Oh and you forgot to add we are too good to go down. We've been in and around the relegation zone all season, playing some of the worst defensive football we've seen for years, so tell me what the hell have you seen this season to tell you that, "Karl have the right minerals to drive our club forward."
At the moment, there is only one place he's taking us on recent evidence.
Fair challenge, I'd say he's shown in situations like this before he can keep a level head and push us up the table like the last couple of seasons. He's shown he can buy players for a profit which a club at our level needs. He's stood by our club when other clubs courted him as their manager. He's shown integrity throughout his time with us, led us to great performances against Premier League opposition numerous times. He's not perfect but we could do a lot worse and personally I hope he stays.

Don't be a mug , this means the most to both sets of supporters , what so it's ok to lose to them ??? You cannot compare with any other side .
Losing to Crewe was dismal ....this hurts and is shameful 100 × worse because it's them.
Yes , thank you.

I suspect that you have already had a drink or two but, you are not making a great deal of sense with this post.
The performance today was so far below what we should accept and what this group of players should be capable of bringing to a game. Ok. the subs today didn't work, were they the right subs? And, if not not, why not?
It could and should be put forward that KR did not have his team set up to win this game. That his subs did not perform is still an indication of how his team is set up. I am not advocating the sacking of KR but, he should be put on notice. Get this team performing or face the consequences. Get the January recruitment right or, face the consequences.

To lose this game is not acceptable to us as fans. We can forgive a lot but, not this performance.
Don't drink mate but thanks for trying to excuse my post...did KR set the team up with instructions to virtual hoof it from the first whistle? whether they were the right subs is a matter of opinion but i suspect are being used / blamed because the end result was not in our favour.
if it was thought through nobody could foresee what was to unfold, they were utter garbage and never looked remotely like scoring Be honest when you saw our team did you ever once think "oh this not a team being set up to win" ? as the game progressed did you ever once think "we're in trouble here"
had we of won 1-0 not 1 person would care or questioned the performance, the substitutions or anything else
Should he haver been put on notice Tuesday evening?
with regards the recruitment i've addressed that before, not 1 person on here knows who we went after failed to get etc etc and as i keep pointing out with our model things do not always turn out how we hoped and that's the gamble with the way we have to operate.

You speak for everyone that’s experienced loss this year do you? Escapism is a very real phenomenon, just because it isn’t for you, doesn’t mean it isn’t for others, football could be the only thing some people look forward too

We've gone with Gobbo have we??

Agyei went on the far side of the pitch and was still poor today. I'm accused of defending ROBBO but to think that a player gives up in a derby because the manager is shouting at him is one hell of a stretch!!!

Didn't say he gave up just because Gobbo was shouting at him. He is being played out of position and not being allowed to play his game. We made attacking substitutions (as in the players) but the tactics were to sit back and try and see the 1-0 out. If we were not trying to see it out why was the defensive line so deep and why we were time wasting at every opportunity. He is more frequently getting things wrong and it's all stemmed from the transfer window, signs Clare as a right back which he isn't, doesn't sign another centre back. Doesn't sign another GK to give Eastwood competition. Replaced Mackie with an ijury prone player. Replaced Browne with a loanee with no experience and we probably have similar in the youth set up.

Now I reckon we will stay up, but the problem is we had such a good season last year that we are going backwards unless we reach the play offs again.

This won’t be a popular view but arguably usual service has been resumed if you look at the historic record before this century.

There’s no shame in that result - punching above weight in recent matches was only going to last so long.

At least the ‘pavement dancing’ bragging rights couldn’t reach Wiltshire this afternoon - that’s the real result, eh Eric?

Swindon are probably going to get relegated this season and we won’t, so at least we’ll have the last laugh on you

I'm not saying it's acceptable, KR wouldn't say it was, nor would any of our players. All I'm saying is let's not let one very painful defeat divert us from the direction we're heading in. We have a talented manager who I believe in whether he made a massive mistake today or not. Ultimately we all want the same thing which is a successful Oxford Utd and I'd rather have a manager with integrity, talent and who puts his heart and soul into our club than the potential alternatives. We shouldn't take him, our board or the culture of our club for granted whether we're winning or losing. Swindon are a great example of what a f*ck up a football club can turn into and imho we are a million miles away from that. I'd back KR, Easty and every one of our team who should have done better today because one shocking 2nd half performance doesn't change all the reasons I'm proud to be an Oxford fan.
Don't talented managers achieve? At the stage last season where he needed to be a talented manager, the play off finals, he failed.
Mapp and Wilder, are talented managers, Teflon simply likes to believe his own publicity.
Do talented managers air their dirty washing in public, throwing their players under the bus?

as the game progressed did you ever once think "we're in trouble here"
I thought we *could* be in trouble when we started falling back and giving the ball away for fun. I thought we *were* in trouble when the let the first in, and the second came as no surprise (although the way we conceded, of course, was more of one!).

I am not going to be manipulated by any nonsense coming out of our sad little camp tonight - or for the next few days. And particularly from the gob of KR.

That was f*****g unacceptable and gutless for 45 mins. At half time, whether you are an OUFC fan, a Swindon fan or a mere neutral, you have to settle on the fact that the home team were dominant and should have made more from the initial 45 mins. It was solid if unspectacular.

At half time, the one and only demand should have been to further the lead and to continue to cause them problems. Man for man we were better. 2nd half we went in to our shell in the most tragic fashion. This team has a few qualities, but seeing games out at 1-0 isn't one of them. I am frankly gobsmacked at our capitulation and I need 48 hrs to assess how strongly I feel about things. I don't want to start gobbing off about Robbo out etc - however the manager is ultimately responsible and today was a very difficult watch...not because we lost the game but the manner in which we lost the game.

Sorry, but it does make a difference to some, where you can live the game, hoping the players will do anything for the shirt. I've been there recently. That 90 mins, when you remember standing on the London Road early 80's, everything is about everything yellow. The win, and you shut everything else out.

So a win today would make someone feel a whole lot better if they were to go to work on Monday to be told that they were potentially being made redundant, or they get that phone call that says a member of their family is seriously ill... ?

You know what, I doubt even you would give a flying f**k about todays result.

It is all a question of perspective.. Yes, we lost, it is s**t and we all feel like crap... But come on.....

Don't talented managers achieve? At the stage last season where he needed to be a talented manager, the play off finals, he failed.
Mapp and Wilder, are talented managers, Teflon simply likes to believe his own publicity.
Do talented managers air their dirty washing in public, throwing their players under the bus?
I don't agree with airing things in public no, but I do think he's a good manager, not perfect by any means but for me the good far outweighs the bad.

You speak for everyone that’s experienced loss this year do you? Escapism is a very real phenomenon, just because it isn’t for you, doesn’t mean it isn’t for others, football could be the only thing some people look forward too

Having lost loved ones in the past I can tell you for absolute certainty that a win over Swindon counts for s**t.

A win doesn’t bring them back and it certainly doesn’t soften the deep sense of loss.

Last edited:
Don't drink mate but thanks for trying to excuse my post...did KR set the team up with instructions to virtual hoof it from the first whistle? whether they were the right subs is a matter of opinion but i suspect are being used / blamed because the end result was not in our favour.
if it was thought through nobody could foresee what was to unfold, they were utter garbage and never looked remotely like scoring Be honest when you saw our team did you ever once think "oh this not a team being set up to win" ? as the game progressed did you ever once think "we're in trouble here"
had we of won 1-0 not 1 person would care or questioned the performance, the substitutions or anything else
Should he haver been put on notice Tuesday evening?
with regards the recruitment i've addressed that before, not 1 person on here knows who we went after failed to get etc etc and as i keep pointing out with our model things do not always turn out how we hoped and that's the gamble with the way we have to operate.
You’re not making sense.

That’s like a general saying ‘you’re only questioning my tactics because we we were defeated’. Well... yes. We lost because of your tactics. Therefore they’re being questioned.

If we’d won 1-0 then we wouldn’t be questioning things because we’d won, so there’s nothing to question - although if the subs had caused us to fall apart as they did, I’m sure people would still question it to an extent.

If you accept that a manager can change the game in a positive way, and be praised for it, then you have to also accept the opposite side of the coin.

I think you may have just won the award for worst take on a post ever.

Carpy , you are a true gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom