Home Match Day Thread 24/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Leyton Orient

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The concern for me is that Des is out of his depth and has had no support from an assistant manager.
He doesn’t come across as a hard taskmaster, and seems too passive on the touch line, much like Sven in his time as England manager. This team needs a rocket up their backsides sometimes and I’m not sure Des can do that. I can’t understand why Goodwin doesn’t partner Harris as surely that’s where our goals would come from. Only Goodrham looks like he will score when he goes forward.
We’ve been found out by other clubs. I’m really not looking to Fratton Park. Could be the result that pushes out of contention of the play offs with a hiding possible. Why didn’t we get Mousinho?

Last edited:
One of the worst collective team performances I have seen for years. Haven't seen such a quantity of abysmal individual performances probably since the season we went down to the conference. The passing was dreadful, we created very little and even struggled with things like basic ball control. We also gave away the ball many times in very dangerous areas and were lucky not to be punished more heavily.

Orient outplayed us for large parts and move the ball around so swiftly and effectively. We did have some counter attack glimmers in the first half but we were ultimately chasing shadows for the entire second. Their first goal was an outstanding move but it stemmed from us giving the ball away and failing to defend. The second was just dreadful defending all round.

They looked a way better outfit than us right now and if it wasn't for our early season points tally, they'd probably be several positions higher. Today is completely on the players and although I'm not convinced by Des, I think he and the fans were let down spectacularly.

It’s a common observation about being too passive on the touchline. I think that the team performances reflect Des on the touchline as there are long spells in every game where we are passive. The problem again and again though for me is how many 50/50’s we lose. So so many compared to under Manning. Players need to take responsibility for not working hard enough but ultimately it comes down to motivation and that’s the manager. I mean today I felt we lost 80% of the 50/50’s which is shameful in any game let alone at home.

We have paid top dollar for a manager who has proved to be what the minority of us said from Day 1 i.e. hampered by a lack of experience at this level at a time where we were in a dominant league position. For that I feel the board need to hold their hands up and say ‘Yes we got it wrong’

Is there anyone out there, that has seen enough in the 20+ games Des has had. To say he’s the man for the job.

I’d love to hear your reasons, and why you think he’s the right man.

O4FS! ☹️ A depressingly predictable ‘non’ performance today. Sure, there were glimpses of our latent skill set, and the goal was well deserved…but then it all went flat……AGAIN!

Nonetheless, I come away with a couple of questions buzzing around in my otherwise empty head…...

1. Are we safe from relegation yet?
2. Is it time for Steve ‘the megaburger’ E*ans yet?

Answers on a crisp tenner to:

Ox4d Oldman
Headin T’sand
0x26.

Feeling very flat after that turn out today.

No motivation or direction from Des on the side line and a complete lack of belief or energy by the players.

I can’t listen to his interviews now.

Most boring game I have witnessed for a while.

1 point out of the last 6 and with the two fixtures to follow…I fear it will most definitely have slipped away in the coming fortnight.

Is there anyone out there, that has seen enough in the 20+ games Des has had. To say he’s the man for the job.

Got a three year contract has something to do with it and cost a fortune to get him in the first place.
So there are two reasons why the club will not be getting rid of him anytime soon.

The really worrying aspect is game after game it is actually getting worse. We score a really good goal and then completely go into our shell. We are beginning to be dominated in midfield by most and our defending is shambolic.
Each word uttered by the manager creates more confusion. How in God's name can you think we deserved to win today. We were second by a long long way. Yes Orient play well if you allow them. The consolidated press under Manning is gone. In its place is midfield confusion. Rodrigues plays 20 yards deeper than under Manning and he is wasted.
What is certain is team confidence is shot away, we play with fear not freedom.
It's really time for the manager to step up if he is capable.
I only caught the first half of his interview so maybe I missed it, but Des started the interview by saying we were second best and didn’t deserve anything from the game. I thought it was commendable candour and appreciated the honesty. We’re all frustrated but I don’t think this is something we can level at him.

(He did then go on to say that ‘anyone looking for it’ could see that our style of play has changed in recent weeks and that it’s clear what we’re trying to do, which seemed a bit unsubstantiated and chippy to me.)

The fan club thing is in jest. It appears certain individuals are just blinded by what anyone says about the manager. It’s pounced on quickly. ie How dare you criticise the local man”.
Can you show me the most recent example of people telling you not to criticise Des based on where he’s from?

• React
Reactions: m
To be honest I agree I have seen enough poor quality in the home games. Inept performances coupled with a lack of composure and confidence on the pitch, almost a fear that to lose will result in relegation.
They should be enjoying themselves and be playing to a plan which evidently they’re not.
I’ve wanted Des to succeed especially being a fellow Oxonian as I am. I just wonder who we turned down to employ him in the first place. I’d have loved that Brighton coach to have come, but wonder whether he was even in the running.

When you are one nil up at half-time and expecting to at best grab a draw, to a team below you, that’s says a great deal. The players look as lost as the fans are with with Des sadly. In his interviews he looks like a rabbit in the headlines. No point sacking him yet, but I am not hopeful he’ll turn it around. One thing might help is to actually play with a midfield. We look so lightweight in the middle with just Brannigan and Matete. Drop at least one, if not two from Rodriguez, Goodrham, and Murphy and put McGuane or McEachran in so we don’t get bypassed throughout the game. And get us to step up - we defend so deep under Buckingham - why!

(He did then go on to say that ‘anyone looking for it’ could see that our style of play has changed in recent weeks and that it’s clear what we’re trying to do, which seemed a bit unsubstantiated and chippy to me.)
It is damning that an interviewer has to ask you to explain your style after ~20 games but worse when you can’t answer.

With respect, I’m not sure what posts like this are trying to achieve? I don’t think anyone’s pleased with how today or the last few games have gone. How is deliberately trying to start an argument on this forum going to help anything? You can voice frustrations and without needing to make it into spat with another poster.

Got a three year contract has something to do with it and cost a fortune to get him in the first place.
So there are two reasons why the club will not be getting rid of him anytime soon.
Whilst I totally agree, I know personally in management once you knew you had made an appointment mistake you had to act. Just hoping it would change invaribly lead to an even bigger failure. The longer you left it the worse it often got. Worrying times and a fun fans forum ahead.

It is damning that an interviewer has to ask you to explain your style after ~20 games but worse when you can’t answer.
Yeah it was damning as he seemed genuinely confused about how to answer and basically said it’s up to the players to pick the best option. No wonder the players are confused about the game plan

I think we’re suffering from not having match fit/sharp players available from the transfer window, plus Des not having a proper assistant e.g. playing the Hogg role. He’s (Des) obviously a clever guy and knows the technical/analytical side of the game, but I’m not sure of his engagement with the players/getting his wants across to the players. Manning had this with Hogg, whereas, I’m not sure Des has this. He doesn’t have that flinging your arms around persona on the touch line which you could say was the same as Manning, so may be the Hogg relationship/interaction had a bigger influence then we realised.

Having said all that, there were very poor performances today by Matete, Rodrigues (my god how did he stay on the pitch), McGuane (how awful was he!). We also have too many powderpuff players (Rodrigues, Murphy, McGuane, etc) who just don’t graft and put in the fight when needed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom